#2 Westerman & Wally in a fight

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, May 15, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Evidently, BC's #2 overall draft pick, Westerman has refused to negotiate his first pro contract, unless he gets paid starter's money.

This according to a Winnipeg sports site so you can't put too much creedence in it until its confirmed.

Last year's #1, Henoc Muambo didn't sign with Wpg. until late May and now this. Muambo signed for slightly over the rookie minimum which was surprising.

Westerman wants starter's coin. And Wally/Benevides have both stated that he won't start this year (I'll believe that when I see it)

But no way is Stubborn Wally the GM going to give Westerman anywhere close to $125,000 (starter's money). . . . I suspect he'll just tell Westerman to wait for a phone call (that will never come) and hope Westerman and his agent start to panic about money come late May, early June....

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The same story said Kirby Fabien wants starter money as well. Thing is, Fabien won't start so why even think that way.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Imagine if the day job money starts stopping draft picks from suiting up. They need to address that pretty soon.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The CFL pretends to be major league by paying 40 or 42 players per team from a pool of what, $4.5 million. The figure should be over $6 million & that's still cheap. CFL players are underpaid.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

For getting themselves blown up and many only having careers under five years they certainly are.

However, the top 8 to 10 guys on a typical CFL roster earn $160,000 to $350,000 ea. (mostly starting QBs on the high end) so the low end $48,000+ is necessary for the bottom 8 to 12 guys on the roster.

I agree the salary pool should be around 6 to 6.333 million, however, we'd never get Ottawa back (they'd be terrified, they're already terrified at 4.5, and guys like Braley would probably reconsider propping up toronto if he had to shell out another 1.5 a year)

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, we are a glorified UFL. Great.