46% Of New Yorkers Approve of "Soda Ban"

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

How are 46% of people mind-numbingly dumb enough to think this is a good idea?

Here's a tip: If you don't want a "large soda", don't buy one! You don't have to outright ban it. :-/

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Have they never heard of diet soda?

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

With all the problems NY has, the Mayor should stick to fixing that instead of social engineering.

4. Rids

Rids Member

What's really dumb is that even under the restriction it doesn't stop anybody from buying 2 or 3 or 50 16oz sodas.

5. Flash

Flash Member

I'll take 15 sodas please

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Customer to butcher:

1) I'll take the biggest turkey you have...
    2) Don't trim the fat off those chops. It
    adds to the flavour.
    3) Do you sell smokes?
    4) Where's the nearest liquor store?

7. Christoph

Christoph Member

They're not better for you. The chemicals in the artificial sweeteners actually do result in increased blood glucose levels much the same as sugar. However they don't trigger a correspondingly raised level of insulin, which is what the body produces to lower blood sugar levels. This means that artificial sweeteners actually increase the risks of contracting type II diabetes.

Furthermore, the harsh chemicals of such sweeteners preoccupy the liver to such an extent that it has little chance to metabolize fats. It's so busy detoxifying (yes, aspartame is a toxin) that it has no time to get to fats and they end up being stored. In other words artificial sweeteners lower your metabolism and make you fatter.

To compound matters, these sweeteners make you feel hungrier later causing you to take in more calories not less.

Zero calories means next to nothing. It is perhaps the most deceptive measure of how healthy or unhealthy a food or beverage is.

As if that isn't enough, they can actually cause liver damage similar to that of chronic alcoholism and significantly increase the risk of suffering a heart attack. And when I say significant, the numbers I've seen are upwards of 50% if you have even one can of "diet" soda a day.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off drinking the plain sugary crap. Or better yet, water. :p

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Worse yet, if your 'diet' beverage of choice is a diet cola, the phosphoric acid contained in it is several-fold higher than than the concentration found in even regular cola, and the effect of that chemical is to leach calcium from bone mass at an accelerated rate.

That in turn places at even higher risk anyone (of either gender) who is susceptible to an osteoporotic condition.

The moral of the story: diet colas are, in any given year, probably responsible for many more broken bones than your average CFL linebacker...:(

Don't get 'blindsided' by over-addictive consumption of this so-called healthier beverage alternative...;)

TM

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Honestly, if something should be outlawed it's diet soda's because people are fooled into thinking they are not in fact unhealthy thanks largely to false claims, implied or otherwise and a general lack of awareness. At least everybody knows that regular pop is nothing but sugar water and (almost) everybody realizes that's not particularly healthy.

Actually I'd go so far as to argue that diet pop is even more harmful than its regular counterpart, and that is a truly damning statement considering the ills of refined sugar. But diet pop is quit literally toxic to the human body.

Besides, if you're going to splurge, at least traditionally flavored soft drinks don't taste like somebody pissed in a can of club soda. ;)