A big day for Calgary Soccer

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Tyler, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Tyler

Tyler Member

I suppose I should start out with a fair hello to everyone here as I don't believe I have ever posted anything. Some of you may know me as Rids nephew. I work with Ridley Scouting as a Football scout in Calgary and area. I grew up playing and reffing soccer in the town of Didsbury and fell in love with the sport.

Now to the point of the post.

A week or two ago I was told of a U-23 soccer match up taking place here in Calgary featuring the Calgary Foothills Soccer Club (of course), and the Vancouver Whitecaps. Despite what you may think of this being a tough game for Calgary, it was not actually against the Whitecaps starting roster, just the reserves also known as the Whitecaps development team, though considered pro, these players are not expected to be able to play as well as the teams starters.

I was very much looking forward to this game, figuring it would be full of action and excitement, I will admit that I was not disappointed. Calgary started the scoring out around midway through the first half with Vancouver equalizing a few minutes later. The first half finished off with a few spectacular saves at each end and some insane footwork.

The half time show was a little odd, our fearless mayor Nenshi was invited to talk and give away a couple autographed soccer balls to some screaming fans. As well as the 50/50 draw sold out and the winner walked away with a nice $700.

Part way into the second half Vancouver made an excellent attack for the Calgary goal line only to have the shot stopped and the ball sent down the field where Calgary sealed the deal with a 2-1 victory. With the end of the game drawing near, a few hotter heads seemed to show. The referee kept it under control very well, with only two yellow cards being given out throughout the game.

I was also very impressed to later hear that the Calgary team will join the the United Soccer Leagues' Professional Development League next year, where they will become regional rivals to Vancouver.

Tags:
    Madman and Rids like this.
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Nice to hear that the PDL is coming back to Calgary. It's been a while!

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the info Tyler!

Great to hear that level of soccer is headed to Calgary.

(don't be a stranger) :watching:

4. Tyler

Tyler Member

It is very exciting to think about Calgary having a foot in that door, especially considering there are only five other Canadian city's in a pool of over sixty clubs.

5. Rids

Rids Member

It is interesting that they decided that this was the better route to go vs joining the NASL. The Spokane PDL team isn't operating anymore and the closest opponent is one of Vancouver, Winnipeg or Denver.

In the NASL they would've had FC Edmonton as a close rival.

Either way I hope they draw a better crowd than the last try. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Mustangs_(soccer)

6. Tyler

Tyler Member

Victoria BC also has a spot in the PDL at this point in time. I would love to see an Alberta rivalry in soccer, though I feel that they are looking to the PDL possibly because of the Pro-teams that are also part of the league. As they are looking toward an eventual MLS team here.

7. Rids

Rids Member

MLS in Alberta is almost a no go. Can't draw ants to a picnic!

We'll see what the crowd looks like when the Southern California Seahorses come to town...