A Little Roman (Cervenka) History

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Here's an excerpt from a very interesting article about the Flames new 1st/2nd line center hopeful, and potential diamond in the rough.

From what I read in the article I don't really question his skill level, what I worry about is his size and skating ability, and whether or not he can adapt to the rigors of the smaller confines of an NHL rink.

I still can't believe he only weighed 127 lbs as a 17 year old! That makes Nate's favorite receiver Jade Etienne look positively beefy. ;)

From my perspective this signing looks like a small risk with a potentially very solid reward. The great thing is that most of his salary will come in the form of bonuses. If he doesn't pan out it won't cost the Flames much at all relatively speaking. If he turns into the player they hope, then he'll be worth every penny of his bonuses. Based on projections from the history of past players making a similar transition it looks like his ceiling is probably in the range of 30 goals, 65 points. If he can even approach those figures the move by Feaster will prove to be one heck of a coup.

Unfortunately history would also seem to indicates that the odds of success remain somewhat stacked against him.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The most important question... What is his height & weight now? I see Baertchi is now 190 lbs.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

About 5'11, 200 lbs. So not bad actually.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Some bad news with Cervenka - he was hit by a puck in a game and now has blood clots and cannot make the transatlantic flight while on blood thinners.

Hopefully he gets clearance soon and can make it over, that is a big hole to leave in the lineup.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc ... story.html

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Excellent news - Cervenka will in fact be able to make it for the opening of camp.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=649321