Aaron Rodgers voted best player in the NFL by his peers

Discussion in 'American Football Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Too bad the Giants kicked him out of the playoffs. I'm no football connoisseur but I'll take Eli anyday.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'd go with Rodgers. I'm pretty confident he'll win more Superbowls. He's younger, more athletic, more acurate, has a stronger arm, is better pre-snap, and equally clutch... in short he's accomplished more than Eli did at Rodgers' age. He carried arguably the worst defense in the league last year to the best record in the NFL enroute to winning the MVP easily, despite the fact that Brady and Brees had historic seasons themselves.

But don't listen to me. These NFL Network player rankings was based on votes by fellow players and who would know players better than other players, the guys down on the field facing off against them.

The only blemish was falling to Eli and a defense that finally started to harness their considerable talents in the front 7. There is no deeper, more dynamic pass rush in the NFL than what the Giants boast.

But really what I think was the Packers' undoing was the long layoff. Much like Eli's older brother Peyton and his Colts, they were victims of their regular season success. They didn't have to play meaningful games down the stretch and played their most important player, Rodgers, too little to keep him sharp. All told he hadn't played in an actual game in basically three weeks when he squared off against the red hot Giants and Eli Manning who had to play lights out just to get in. This same scenario killed the Colts on numerous occasions. Eventually you'd think someone would learn from it.

Oh wait, Sean Payton and Bill Belichick have. Their teams keep the pedal to the medal down the stretch whether or not they need to.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Since Francis Albert 'Fran' Tarkenton is no longer playing I'd be inclined to agree with a near deadheat for best NFL player

Rodgers, both Mannings.

Old Manning has the legacy and great throwing records, young Manning has the 2 rings and some clutch performances under extreme pressure. Rodgers took over from a legend and raised the bar.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Tom Terrific, Tom Brady as he's got as many rings as all above combined. However, his teams rely far more on precise coaching, execution and turnovers plus he's affiliated with perhaps the greatest coach in pro football history, BB....

Some other guys who'd be in the mix. Drew Brees and Limpy, the Vikings RB.

Who'd be the best non QB?

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

ok :D

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

Hey that was out of context! :mad::D

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

not listening. :p

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

You said something?

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yep.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

My Top 3 NFL Players:

1. Aaron Rodgers
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Calvin Johnson

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

I have no beef whatsoever with any of those picks. I'd be very tempted to put Tom Brady somewhere in there too though because I think he's pretty much neck and neck with Brees. Sure Brady had the season a few years back where he put up 50 TDs (before losing to Eli in the Superbowl the first time if I recall correctly) but I've actually been more impressed with what he's done the past two years. No longer can he just heave it down field knowing that Moss will come down with it more often than not regardless of whether or not it's a well placed deep ball. Now he has to be precise and he certainly has been. He's putting up historic numbers all while turning the ball over almost as little as Aaron Rodgers.

Almost.

Rodgers still trumps he and all other QBs in that area, much the way he does in most other significant QB categories.

As a longtime Colts fan I feel somewhat ill talking Brady up this much :s, but there's no denying his place among the current and all-time greats.