After Thoughts of Winnipeg Witch Hunts

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just one man's opinion but here's my status updates on some of the victims, recent victims and old victims of Wpg Witch Hunt....

1. Joe Mack - Mack will get a substantial parting gift, consisting of a 2 plus yr pay package. Mack probably nvr ventures into Wpg again, will never ever work as a GM, CEO or COO of a professional football organization but at age 62/63 and his wife experiencing health issues being a bomber pensioner isn't all bad. I really think Joe knew the end was near and was hoping he could survive to the end of season. Could still be a part-time southern USA scout with a couple CFL teams (maybe ottawa) but the guy is old, tired and really imho out of the loop.

2. Garth Butchko - the ex-radio svengali had a pretty short career as a CFL executive (about 1.33 yrs). He too will be rewarded for failure with a severance packt around 1 million. His reputation has been greatly tarnished in Wpg so I venture to say he'll depart winnipeg in the next few months searching for a soft return landing into broadcasting management. The severance ticket will help. Any football guy that hires this man should really be drawn and quartered. Even Gary Lawless was remorseless after Garth was terminatd - openly saying that very few people in winnipeg liked the guy.

3. Lord Lyle Bauer - when things started moving to a public execution of Mack & Butchko, Lord Lyle apparently moved into position for a takeovr mgmt bid, perhaps unhappy with the several million dollars in salaries and fees he'd lifted from this team. He had friends on the board. Unfortunately, for him Wad Miller had more. Lyle will continue on the sniff, focusing on Montreal, Ottawa, perhaps even Edmonton - but Lyle is only the guy you wanna go to if all hell breaks loose, Edmonton should be his primary target.

4. Paul LaPolice - Plopster is still on the bombr payroll for around $250,000 to $280,000 (according to Lawless) and he's upgraded his paltry public speaking skills with some leadership training. His profile on TSN, his relativly young age (42/43) makes him a prime candidate for a hc job in ottawa, deadmonton or montreal. Personally, I'd like Wad Miller to reach out to him as a GM candidate but I'm certainly in the minority.

5. Mike "Maggot" Kelly - bombers finished paying him off. But he's clearly been black-balled as a viable coaching candidate (hc for sure)

6. Timid Tim Burke - his future hinges on the next 10 bombr games. 5-5 or bettr, Burke probably earns a stay of execution. Still , at 60/61 Burke might be viable but only as a coordinator or position coach in the CFL.

7. Kyle Walters (acting GM) - fairly tepid coaching career, not a great, even good mgmt profile. He'll be kept on as Miller's Hop-Sing for now while Miller scours the earth for a viable GM (

8. Doug Brown, Marcel Bellfieulle, Duane Forde, Brendan Taman are all guys that should get an interview. Personally, I'd be interviewing Paul LaPOlice first - followd by Taman, Marcel and Forde.

Unfortunatly, most bombr executives, GMs, head coaches DON"T FIND WORK AT THEIR CURRENT LEVEL OR HIGHER.

Witness - Ritchie, Kelly, Reinbold, Bauer, Berrry, Robson, Daley, Lapolice, Mack , Butchko, prolly Burke.

Wad the Prankster has his work cut out for him cuz the only balance sheet w/ Wpg fans are W's & L's

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

and this all from just One man. :hilarious:

3. Jayman

Jayman Member

Bronks, thanks for the review.
    My rambling thoughts:
    Joe Mack contract balance prob 900k
    Garth prob 1.2
    LaPo I'd guess still 500k
    What will Governor Greg say (to his left hand man, Milton Henchman, sorry, Sussman) when The Big Blue Board comes calling to advise they'll be "a little short", while admitting the juice was spent on mistakes they made? A bunch of ex Federal Industry company gutters looking for relief from the lefties?? I don't think so.
    From another perspective, I've got to hand it to The BoD. Knowing that, despite the buzz the seat count is falling fast, the ten buck beers will taper off as it gets cold (now), the lemmings are cranky, SO, they created a huge diversion. Who's going to howl for their heads after this? They've bought themselves at least two or three more rounds of merlot before the spotlight swings back to where it should.
    The good news is Marcel Bellifule (spelling my bad) has been signed on as an "offensive consultant". Stand up joke there, who hasn't known an offensive consultant?
    Anyway, the BoD survives to fight another day, leak to their press buddies and slurp the free plop in the Command Centre at IG Field.
    I wonder when they miss the first payment?
    For today they can still spin, duck and dodge. When the definition of insolvency sets in, trouble. I wouldn't want to be those boys asking The U of M board to cut them some slack ("c'mon, just raise the tuition's a notch"), or Greg and his cranky Cabinet (The PC's didn't let them have a summer at The Lake of The Woods), ("c'mon, just raise the PST again").
    I see a TLE Band buying The Club in 2015, adding 600 VLT's and making a go of it.
    Then The BoD all get The Order of Manitoba and The Press are told to go easy on them as they take their platinum chutes to The Manitoba Club.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Frankly Jay - I don't think Selingerk, the bod, wad miller or the bomber board want the repayment date to be fussed over. They're hoping media like Lawless, Friesen, Knucklehead, etc. just keep barking about the product and conveniently forget the public money spilld to get the new digs. I'm not in the media anymore so I can't ask the question - not that a slithering snake like selingerk would give an answer anyways!