Airdrie Storm Bantam

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Rids, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Eight hundred yards in ONE game, Rids? Before I believe it, I'd have to first see who did the stats. Is it a team official? The kid's dad?? It's not only a staggering amount of rushing yards but you know how difficult it would be to run that far in a single game. To me, that is an impossible amount of yards to get in 48 minutes of play. That's the equivalent of EIGHT football fields. In bantam football, I could see 200, maybe even 300 yards because the run is 90% of the game but not 800 plus.
    I watched the games at Shouldice last night. Three of the four games were absolute duds. The bantam Cowboys Greys played to a hard fought & last second 9-9 tie. Cowboys Blue beat the Falcons 36-0. The Okotoks Eagles beat the Colts 32-7 & the Wildcats fell to the Bulldogs 36-0. The Haves sure have it & the Have Nots do not. Sad to see the discrepancy between the teams. Isn't good in a 12 team league when fully a third to half of the teams are terrible & are going to get beat up all season.
    Just a thought but maybe it is time for the CBFA to have a draft. A draft in the North & a draft in the South. Players names go into a pool & are selected one name at a time. Any brothers would automatically go to the team that selected the other first. This would be a great way to spread the talent out evenly.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Well Jordan had 9 of the team's 10 touchdowns and I believe they were all on the ground. Airdrie tends to be a running team (they've got that stud on the midget team that can run all day too).

The teams that are getting beaten do they have the numbers? Do they have the coaches?

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I watched the Falcons play the Cowboys Blue team Wednesday evening & I know that Stamps4Life is a coach with that organization but I don't know if he is coaching bantam or not this year. He may have been in the booth if he is as he was not on the sidelines.
    My take is that it isn't the coaching on the Falcons that is the problem but the lack of numbers as well as size are the 2 main issues with that team. They have a very small offensive line which can't open holes for their running backs or protect their qb so they get overwhelmed by bigger, more physical teams. Same problem on defense. Small & just can't compete against the elite teams in bantam like the 2 Cowboy teams, Bulldogs, Hilltoppers & Stampeders. But I saw virtually the same problem with 2 other teams as well. The Wildcats & Colts. So, it's just not the Falcons.
    What is oncerning for me is that I only saw one competitive game out of 4 on Wednesday evening. The rest were blowouts. Not even close. I don't know if the CBFA cares or not about this. I'd be as it doesn't bode well for some of these teams that are already having trouble attracting players. Getting beaten by 40 points is no fun on a regular basis & if some of the teams that are struggling now have also been struggling in years past to be competitive it won't help in the recruitment of future players to their organization.
    Also, losing badly certainly doesn't help the sport to attract potential players if they think they are going to get killed on the scoreboard if they play football. Also coaches, like players are no different. They also get discouraged if the team they coach with isn't competitive year in & year out. Once a coach starts to feel he isn't making a difference, he quits to do other things.
    So, I sure hope that some of these teams improve as the season goes on. For the good of minor football in this city.

5. Rids

Rids Member

True losing big can be a serious problem but my experience is that if parents have to drive beyond 20 minutes to get to team practice they won't. Going with a city wide or half city wide draft would kill a good thing.

Airdrie for years was the underdog, lack of numbers, got beat by 40 or 50 or 60 every week, but they worked on the parent relationship and it grew the program.

6. Stamps4Life

Stamps4Life Member

Hey I'm not coaching this year due to work. But the CBFA needs to do something or it will see a decline in players as they don't want to get destroyed every week. I'm not sure what the solution is but something has to give

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nothing kills football more than teams getting beat up week to week. Usually, there's one, maybe 2 teams that happen to struggle on the field every season. This year, there seems to be more teams that look like they just they can't compete with the good ones than in other years.
    In a 10 or 12 team league that is a problem the CBFA should be concerned about. Kids end up quitting playing football because they are disenchanted & never had a great experience playing for a losing team.
    I still think a separate north/south draft would be the answer for city teams to disperse talent as evenly as possible to every team in the two halves of the city. Or to contract teams that are never able to compete & are struggling for players every year as things probably won't change for them. Contraction would be the least palatable option & I just can't see that happening unless an organization pulls the plug themselves.
    I believe that it is better to have a competitive smaller league than a bigger one with huge discepancies between the good & bad teams. Ten teams rather than 12.
    I see both sides to the suggestions that I made. More teams mean more kids play football. That is a good thing. Less teams mean less kids playing the sport which is a bad thing. However, it should also be the kids. About them playing football, having fun, learning about team play, helping one another, sacrifice & having a positive experience.
    Kids learning that hard work should means rewards on Saturday with a win. Not that working hard during the week's practice means nothing only to get stomped on Saturday. A kid can only learn so much from losing before he says, "That's it. I quit."

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Anybody know the bantam scores today?