Alberta Football League

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Rids, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Week 2 Results:

Edmonton Stallions 15 @ Edmonton Garrison Army 26
    Calgary Wolfpack 64 @ Central Alberta Buccaneers 0
    Lloydminster Vandals 34 @ Calgary Gators 8

Wolfpack are strong as always. In fact to this point they have scored 122 points for and not allowed a single point in return.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think it's great there's a senior men's league & I know some of the Gators. Don't want them thinking this is a post that is critical of them. It's just my observation here. They have no coaching staff. The players coach themselves. Seems a lot of the guys don't want to listen to a coach. They want to do things their way & the Gators record shows it. It's tough coaching guys who don't take things seriously & won't listen. Some would welcome a coaching staff but a lot don't want one which is my understanding. They'd be a lot better team with a dedicated coaching staff giving the guys direction as well as working on individual skills, practice planning, game planning & being in charge on the bench. Again, not a criticism just an observation. I knew the previous head coach & he was very frustrated.

4. kingfenris69

kingfenris69 Member

The biggest Issue isnt coaching, the Wolfpack has all player coaches and a figurehead Coach who does very little actual coaching. the Offence has been run by our QB who listens to the more experienced Olinemen when we discuss blocking schemes etc, we run very basic stuff but we run it very well. its all about Leadership, attitude and committment, the Gators have a few studs and they have some keeners, but they also have too many guys with big egos who arent willung to take one for the team.

as for the Gators, their biggest problem is attitude, having been in the league since 1993 I can say honestly that if you dont care about winning and just want to party, then the gators are the right fit, if you want to win and you are willing to understand that the best player plays no matter what, then you should play for the Pack. the number of league championships shows they know what they are doing.

One other thing is the Pack carries far fewer players usually around 36-42 so everyone sees the field.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I helped out the former Gators HC a few years ago with evaluations one night at the Viper Dome. I couldn't get over the number of players who went thru the motions in every drill not caring if it was done right or not. These are guys that played a lot of years & some that I coached in bantam & high school. Even after telling some of the players more than once to do a drill a certain way, they'd just keep doing it their way kinda goofing off. Afterwards, the HC asked me if I wanted to be his assistant coach. (I think that is why he asked me to do evaluations as a way to get me interested). After that workout, I turned him down. I think I'd have eventually quit out of frustration had I joined.
    There are some good people on that team. One DL in particular was a really great guy. And the present Gators President is a person I met & liked as well but he was just a player at the time. There is talent on the Gators but if some players would rather go half ass than full out then more power to them. There is a time to work, practice & play hard & a time to party after. At least that is my philosophy. I mean, maybe I just had a bad experience & these guys go all out at practice & during games. I hope so. Just to prevent injuries alone. Have a few beers in the bar after a practice or home game. Or in the bus coming home after a road game there is a time & place. But if a player is putting his body on the line, seems to me it's more fun being serious when he has to be. Winning is way more fun than losing. Still though, knowing a few players on that team from high school, I think it is great these guys get to keep playing football.

6. Rids

Rids Member

Last year I caught a pair of AFL games with the Gators (against Wolfpack and Vandals) and always enjoyed a chance to sit in the sun and watch football. Would love to see a sponsor come in and help the League get some exposure but in the meantime hopefully the Calgary teams will keep us up to date via this board.

There's a semi-pro team down here in Nashville that sent a couple guys to CFL training camps this year. Look forward to seeing them too.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You are one true football junkie, Rids my man!! Great to see!! That semi pro team is probably pretty good, I bet!!

8. Rids

Rids Member

Current standings:

Calgary Wolfpack (2-0)
    Lloydminster Vandals (2-0)
    Grande Prairie Drillers (1-0)
    Edmonton Garrison Army (1-0)
    Calgary Gators (0-2)
    Edmonton Stallions (0-2)
    Central Alberta Buccaneers (0-2)

9. Rids

Rids Member

This Saturday at 2pm the Calgary Gators host the Bucs at Shouldice on the Stampeder Field. Go watch some regular season football!!!

10. kingfenris69

kingfenris69 Member

No your experience was par for the course, I have never understood guys who half ass it but then Ive been playing in the afl since 1994 and aside from a couple knee injuries never missed a start. we go rather easy at practice but we do drills and have smartened up a lot on our team anyway, we have an odler team mostly former cis players and a couple ncaa guys, we have a pretty big game coming against Grande Prairie here in Calgary weekend after next, I think people who come watch will see some great football.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I wasn't trying to criticize. I was just making an observation so I am glad you didn't get ticked with what I say. I think a lot of coaches would get involved if some of the players took things more seriously. Why should coaches give up their time if players won't listen or try? It's no fun to coach guys like that. The few that don't really care really spoil it for the rest of you that do & they should be sent packing. No team needs guys with attitudes like that.

12. kingfenris69

kingfenris69 Member

Its a valid judgement, I get ticked sometimes when trying to run a practice, buts a reality of mens league football. and I know that the Wolfpack is successful because our player coaches are usually guys who the other players respect, it makes it easier. we also set the expectation that the best players play but that if its close then practice is the deciding factor. Commitment is the key though. I am constantly amazed that more people dont watch because it is good quality football when two good teams in the AFL go at it, a few years ago we played the Stallions in the league final in what might have been the best AFL final ever played, some of my friends on the eskimos at the time, were watching and said it was one of the best games they had ever seen, basically we went up 21, the stallions stormed back and took the lead, the lead changed several times, they had the ball and the lead with less than a minute to go, we stopped them on 3rd and short and marched it in for the win. its the sort of game a guy is lucky to have watched let alone played in lol

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The league has to promote the games. Nobody knows about the AFL. I remember a time in the late 50's & early 60's when the CFL recruited out of senior men's all across the country. There was a national trophy & everything. Lots of guys that were talented played senior men's back then & some made it to the CFL.

14. Rids

Rids Member

This year's National Championship game goes September 22nd.

15. kingfenris69

kingfenris69 Member

I agree we need to promote the league better, I was the leagues media rep for a year but the problem is that no teams wanted to commit to spending money to put ads in the paper of any other promotion. its actually annoying lol.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, too bad. You have some talented ball players who can still play!

17. Rids

Rids Member

Two local games this weekend. Saturday and Sunday down at Shouldice.

Saturday at 2pm - Grande Prairie Drillers @ Calgary Wolfpack
    Sunday at 5pm - Edmonton Garrison Army @ Calgary Gators

18. Rids

Rids Member

Scores from the weekend:

Wolfpack 27 Drillers 7
    Gators 35 Garrison Army 7

19. Rids

Rids Member

Off weekend for the AFL. The two Calgary teams are doing well.

Calgary Wolfpack is 3-0 while the Gators are 2-2 so far.

20. Rids

Rids Member

Here it is. The Alberta Champs have been crowned.