Alberta Pee Wee Hockey Goes Non-Contact

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Rids, May 8, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Thoughts?

I seem to remember hitting being part of the game back in Atom hockey. What's the deal?

2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Concussions... Head injuries. If a guy like Craig Button is okay with this then I think it is fine. Meanwhile in football it's hitting all the way. Head up making the tackle & lowering the shoulder pads when taking a hit. Hockey is a different sport entirely.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

4. Rids

Rids Member

Interesting remarks around the hockey world on this. Many parents are concerned that if players don't learn checking before bantam that they'll have more issues trying to learn it when the players are bigger and faster.

I think it would be better to split between contact and non-contact leagues. The kids (families) that don't want the contact have a future of playing for fun in rec leagues and such.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Trouble is, like pee wee football you have such a difference in the size of kids that age. You have kids that are small that are talented but can't compete physically with the bigger boys. Rec league is great for kids that aren't as talented but for the smaller kids that are, it holds them back. Hockey people like Button say this is fine as the hitting aspect can be learned later so I'll go with what they say.