Alright armchair coaches, the roster is set. Name your starters!

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Here's who I'd like to see starting. Feel free to correct me and tell me how crazy I am. Don't worry it's already a well known fact. ;)

[​IMG]

You guys can either predict who you think will be starting or say who you think should be starting.

Or both.

For instance I don't actually expect Mayo to be starting at WIL (Malik Jackson seems like a lock at this point) but I'd like to see it before too long. Currently he's listed as an MLB and will likely be a backup primarily playing special teams. Who knows maybe down the road he'll take over for Simpson. His sideline to sideline speed could make him an all star at that position on the big CFL field but for now I think he should at least be starting on the edge. Luckily Jackson seems to be back in form so I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

Another experiment I'd like to see tried but think it's too unlikely to bother putting in my depth chart is Romby Bryant at slotback. I'm sure you're thinking that his hands are too much of an issue to be trusted over the middle like that, but here's my line of thinking. Look at what being closer to the QB did for Adarius Bowman in Edmonton. He had less time to think about the ball coming and just reacted to it, consequently he caught it with far greater consistency. Bryant has every bit as much athleticism as Bowman and I think he could put up monster numbers and be a very dangerous big play weapon for Drew Tate if the experiment worked. Again I'm pretty sure it will never happen but it's interesting to think about. For me at least.

Your turn!

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Likely McDaniel will play ahead of Talley. Especially if Talley is getting reps as a kick returner.

3. Don E. Fresh

Don E. Fresh Member

I count 8 non imports so Talley and McDaniel could both be on the field in 5 reciever sets, which will be the majority of plays. Coker/Taylor come in to spell Cornish and Bauman/Arthur/Parker come in for Talley or McDaniel.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Morley to safety with Fraser injured.
    Dewitt for Gott.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

If you are including Special Teams in your predictions, I would keep this in mind unfortunately.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Morley back to safety for Fraser & let the ensuing dominos fall through the roster... because of it.

7. Rids

Rids Member

So from Christoph's first try at this we have the following changes....

Morley for Fraser (S)
    Dewit for Gott (C)
    McDaniel for Talley (SB)
    Jackson for Morley (LB)

I'd also hazard a guess that Cote isn't considered a starter and instead that 7th NI spot goes to Franklin. I can't remember the last time the Stamps went with a FB and a HB in the backfield as their default set. I'm guessing back to the 90s? I think it's been mostly the 1 back 5 receivers since pre-Joffrey days for sure.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

I would be perfectly fine with that! In fact I changed it three or four times before I finally "penciled" in Talley based on his apparent on field chemistry with Tate. If they go with McDaniel I won't question the move at all, in fact I'll be excited to see what he can do.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't McDaniel play wide receiver primary in the preseason? If so, maybe they could play him out there try Bryant in the slot after all... ;)

Then again, if they were going to do that he would have been playing there already. It's hardly optimum timing for a position change.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

You guys are talking about changes due to injury fill ins mainly. None of them are long term so I didn't take them into account. I should point out that I didn't throw starting lineup together merely for opening day but for the season.

Your point about Cote is a very good one. If I were to change things then I would add Jabari Arthur over Franklin. Health is always the issue there (with Arthur) and Franklin had a fine camp so either option would be acceptable to me.

I don't really understand your suggestion to substitute Jackson for Morley. I already have Jackson in my starting lineup and he's not a coverage SAM like Morley anyway. Care to elaborate?

10. Mathgod

Mathgod Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lobendahn starting instead of Simpson in the middle. Or perhaps they can run some sort of tag-team system at MLB?

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

They could do that. Every few series when Lobendahn is being carried off the field he could just tag up with Simpson. :p

12. Rids

Rids Member

I was strictly going on a transition for the current injuries.

So Arthur being out and Fraser being out caused the other shifts. I think Mayo likely is the sideline sub due to his contributions on special teams.

Think of it this way. If a CFL game is 120 plays from opening kickoff to final victory formation kneel down then you want to split up your plays among the players. If each team gets 45 offensive plays each that leaves 30 special teams plays and half of those are cover/half are return.

So if a player like Mayo is on every cover team that's 15 plays plus likely 15 defensive plays a game for a total of 30. If Simpson plays all 45 defensive plays a game but rest during the special teams his impact is 15 plays more per game. Where I'm going with this is you have to take your roster and split it up between players getting 45 to 50 plays a game (the key starters) and those getting 30 plays a game (the support players). When Cornish went from a back up to a starter they had to replace him on the special teams or he would've played 70 plays a game which is too much.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Okay so if we take into account injuries our opening day starting linebacker corps would probably be Demitrice Morley, Juwan Simpson and Malik Jackson playing SAM, MIKE, and WILL respectively, with Deron Mayo playing mainly special teams. But that's if they trust rookies Keenan McDougal and/or Chris Randle to fill in for Eric Fraser at safety.

If not it's probably going to be Morley moving from SAM linebacker back to his old safety spot and someone like the aforementioned Randle filling in at SAM.

Morley is the swing man here. They want him at SAM so they must have faith in him as a coverage linebacker, but he used to be a safety and we know he can be a play maker from that position as well. So maybe what it comes down to is a question of where rookie mistakes will hurt you the least, SAM or safety?

I still don't see Jackson subbing for Morley as you suggested. I could see him bumping Mayo from my original starting lineup(is that what you meant?), because as you point out, Mayo is a force on special teams and unless you want to lose that you probably can't have him playing too many snaps on defense. If this was the American game it would be easy to value playing a guy on defense ahead of special teams, but in the Canadian game there are a lot more special teams plays and we need an impact guy on kick coverage (once again as you astutely point out) to make up for the loss of Cornish from that unit.

If I had to guess I'd say McDougall will take over at safety so as to keep the ratio intact (he and Fraser are both non-imports) and Morley will remain at SAM.

14. Christoph

Christoph Member

Just when I thought I had it figured out they throw former Als safety Jeff Hecht into the mix...

Can't say I remember anything about him though. Anyone?

15. Rids

Rids Member

Jeff Hecht was a CIS linebacker that Montreal turned into a safety and special teams cover man. Solid addition.

16. stampsfaninedm

What do you want to know? He made the team as an undrafted free agent after not being drafted and was forced into duty game 1 after Jerald Brown broke his ankle lining up at DB. A position he never played before last year except for 1 quarter in juniors. He split time with Tad Crawford at safety(CFL vet, starting ahead of him) after five games when Boulay was injured. After Crawford got hurt he started and split time with Marco Brouliette, starting ahead of him also. A LB that the Alouettes and their fans are very high on. The fans of the Alouettes will say he played safe and wasn't in the play often but their system didn't use safeties effectively. Not one safety made a bunch of plays. He had a poor Eastern Conference final and with a change of defensive philosophy got shuffled out of the line up and released. He was released a couple weeks before camp and it left him unable to sign anywhere else as the camps were full. He has been training in Halifax for the last six weeks and is in great shape. This is a great signing for Calgary, he should still be in Montreal, i have no idea what they were thinking.

He played university in Halifax at St. Mary's and that was the first time he played linebacker...all canadian. He played safety in Edmonon for the Wildcats(first time on defense) and was a two time all-star, he played for the Wildcats when JR Larose moved to the Eskimos from the rival junior Huskies. Larose got that break and joined the Eskimos when he was 21. Jeff took the LONG road to the CFL always exceeding expectations.

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/06/25/hecht-off-to-calgary/

My favorite play of last year...1:12 seconds in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Be5XvoUKw

The coaches are going to love him. His football IQ is very high and his work ethic is outstanding. This was a great signing by Calgary. I still don't know how Montreal released him but kept Townsend and that nobody cut some dead weight in camp to make room for him sooner.

I said all last year the system he was in was broken so i am counting on him to make me look good...sooner rather then later hopefully.

Two more articles from last season:

http://www2.canada.com/montrealgaze....html?id=5da8f31a-5d45-4e24-893a-f9aef3203049

http://www2.canada.com/montrealgaze....html?id=38a7e17c-684c-4878-a571-6b670fe9b5ad

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

Wow! Thanks for all the info and insight SFIE! You answered all my questions and then some.