Alright, Huff. Now what?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Stamps Rule, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I don't want Glenn as my QB. Nothing personal against the guy, but he's not the future; and frankly, you never really hired him to play, you hired him as a QB mentor.

Get real and let either Levi or Sinopoli play. Make Glenn the backup to either of them and let's get on with it.

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

Like it or not, Glenn gives us the best chance to win games.

This ain't the preseason anymore.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Klevver Glumm (Glenn) is a 11 yr CFL vet. He's also the world's shortest classic dropback passer - possibly only Buk Pierce is slower in the open field and Pierce has been collapsed by various nicks, injuries and more. Ricky Ray looks like 'I'll Have Another' next to Glenn.

That said, Glenn will mount some nice stats as Stamps #1 QB, he'll also play 3 or 4 series like he doesn't know if he's foot or horseback.

Overall, I like Tate deciding to take the year off and get the injury repaired asap(surgery)....

Leaves the Stamps vulnerable as Glenn can be wildly inconsistent (but so was Hankenstein)..... I think the Stamps would like to get another hand in town with more CFL experience than their current 2 & 3 guys. Perhaps Santos? Justin Goltz or Brink? Jarious Jackson? or the P-word, Printers?

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

5. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Why?

Why does everyone always put so much value on "CFL" experience?

Good god, I'd HONESTLY rather pull a guy off the street and let him play than sign some proven 7th rate QB with "CFL" experience like Printers or Jackson.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just to clarify - I did not state I'd select Printers over Glenn, Rusty did, got morphed into the reply button.

However, I'm not certain of this. Printers is 30 (younger than Glenn) and he's 6'3" and 220, quite a bit faster than KG but not near as accurate, no built in game clock, etc.

Glenn is 5'7 1/2", the world's shortest classic dropback passer. If he can get Huff's ruffians to the playoffs more power to him. Both Glenn and Printers are real mopes but Printers type of mope is cancerous whereas KG just gets down on himself, but he's always ready to play catch with his receivers.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I have no trouble with Glenn remaining on Calgary's roster.

I just don't want to see him start the next 15 games for the sole purpose of having an "experienced" quarterback play out the string on the season.

As for Printers, he's by all accounts an extremely selfish player who I want nowhere near my team...

TM

8. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Meh I think Glenn is better than the Burris that played the 2nd half of the season last year. I'm perfectly fine with Glenn finishing the season as starter. He's good enough to get the Stamps into the playoffs and if he wins a playoff game it would be a bonus.

9. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I have no problem with Glen as long as he gives us a greater chance at winning. A young QB would be okay but they will make mistakes.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Glenn can't be worse than Jyles in edmonton. Eskies have shown friday that defence and special teams can take a Lot of pressure off a QB. Montreal was a fluke on 5 days rest and a long eastern trip through kingston. Stay positive. As I said I'm glad we don't play calgary again. They'll be a tough team to beat and I wish a 1000 yard season for Cornish who's got Glenn's back.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There are no other options out there.Glenn is our qb so get used to it.

12. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

With Tate deciding to have surgery, like it or not Glenn is the #1 QB for the next game. However I predict as early as the Labour Day game BLM will be the starter. I think Hufnagel by neccessity will make the change because of confidence issues. Although a first year raw rookie to the CFL has very difficult time adjusting to the game, BLM reminds of Garcia with that "GUNSLINGERS" attitude. He has a moxie that players are drawn to and can rally to. As well just drawing on past experience with Hufnagel he is not afraid to make bold moves and will do whatever is necessary to make this team competitive.

As a side note: Too bad the Stamps picked Pall over Chambers. Talking about taking a mulligan.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Hopefully he doesn't lose that moxie under the pressure of carrying the team on a full time basis the way Tate seemed to. While it's far too early to say he won't get it back, the fact is that he hasn't yet. Too bad we'll have to wait so long to see if he will.

14. Liske

Liske Member

Thank God you're not the coach or GM of the Stampeders.

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

Levi will be soaking up practice reps, 3rd down & short gambles and the like while he waits for Glenn's game to totally unravel. Best to keep Glenn snorting for a few games while demand for Mitchell reaches new heights. No question BLM will be the Calgary starter by Labour Day (or sooner) as Glenn is a tolerable mediocre in a market like Hamilton but Calgary fans have far higher standards. And don't rule Glenn getting you guys a W or 2 in his next 5 games.

Stamps could be 3-6 at the turn, thats my prognosis.

16. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

You're implying that a >.500 season and probably missing the playoffs would be acceptable this year, as long as we "use an experienced QB" to get there, right?

What I'm saying is that we could get AT LEAST those results, and maybe more, plus we could give some of our new talent the chance to prove themselves.

So remind me what the difference is?

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

If the team is discombobulated, a rookie QB could also have his career derailed. Unless that rookie's name is Doug Flutie, Joe Theisman, Russ Jackson or Jeff Garcia. A guy like Glenn is essentially a paycheque QB, winning or losing doesn't matter as much (as history indicates) so Kevin won't be affected by W's or Ls - he just goes out and chucks.

18. Liske

Liske Member

No. As has been explained to you on the other board and here, the quarterback position in the CFL needs a much longer learning curve than any other position. Throwing a second string raw rookie QB to the wolves in thier first season results in failure 99.999% of the time. I really don't know how to make it any more clear to you.

There is almost zero chance your scenario of starting BLM over Glenn would produce equal or better results. There's no evidence and almost no historical precedence for this.

Of the three QBs on the Stamps roster, Glenn gives us the best chance of winning games. Winning football games is what the coaching staff and players are paid to do. And barring an injury to Glenn, BLM will never start a game this season, so thankfully your scenario stands little chance of materializing.

19. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Sweet!

All aboard the >.500 train, here we come!

I guess that it's somehow "better" if we suck with an "experienced" QB rather than with a newbie.

20. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just a meek note from Wpg where a .500 record would require invoking the immortal words of Al Michaels....

DOO YOO BELIEVE IN MIRACLES????