Als Release Diamond Ferri & Etienne Boulay

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by iso_55, Jun 15, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

According to Herb Zukowsky of the Montreal Gazette, veteran linebacker Diamond Ferri & safety Etienne Boulay have been released by the Als. More sweeping changes made by Defensive Coordinator jeff Reinebold.

Link:

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/0 ... ran-ferri/

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

I can see Herbie is taking a shine to Rowdy Roddy Reinbold!!!!! lol

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, remember a tv series from the 1960's called, "My World & Welcome To It?" The new soap opera in Montreal is now called, "Jeff's World & You're Welcome To It". I see Reinebold is grinding the Als defense down the same way he ground the entire Bombers organization down. Ferri & Boulay will be picked up & will star with other CFL teams. I'd love to see a guy like Ferri here. Boulay can play safety so how many other teams will want him? Both these guys will probably end up in Saskatchewan & they'll improve that team a lot.

4. Rids

Rids Member

The Als have had the spoils of riches for years there but why people are shocked about personnel changes after a 10-8 season where they didn't win their division and followed that up by not making the Grey Cup, I'll never get.

Really replacing Boulay with Hebert isn't a downgrade at all.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A 10-8 season may look really good this year. AC may wish he retired last season.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

$425,000 to $475,000 may assauge the thought (of retirement)

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Actually, the Als seeming slight demise (from total league dominance to fighting for a .500 record) can be attributed to several factors:

1. Wheels fell off Ben Cahoon and the pigskin magnet retired.
    2. AC is growing increasingly incontinent and old (still pretty good)
    3. Trestman is itching to return to the NFL (maybe even U.S. college ball)
    4. Other CFL GMs are catching up on Popp
    5. The arrival of The Reinbold the Mouthy Franchise-Killer.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

As for Dimebag Fairy and Boulay, I suspect a weaker western team will make a play on Fairy, perhaps rostering him when their first outside linebacker goes down or if they need some roster depth and Fairy will renegotiate his contract (down) to either practice roster or DI level.

Fairy is a pesky hard-nosed cheap-shotter who can hurt people and the only penalty he gets is fan boos and/or a 10 yard flag (optional). Cheap price to pay for taking out a solid QB, RB or WR.

Fairy, if I remember correctly has excellent speed and at one time was used as a returner.

Like you said Al, Boulay must have lost a step so at this point he's just another canuck safety, chock-full of experience but operating on short legs.

Don't be surprised if Wally picks up Fairy to replace Solly Bomb Bombs on special teams and to back up his existing LB corps.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Lessee......fans pissed at lame-o performance thursday night. Poster boy for the french is sent packing. At least they started selling cheerleader calendars.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Is Trestman losing it in Montreal, deuvl? He's had an outstanding run.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah. I trust him. My expectations are so much lower now than they were anyway. Just wanna get through this season and have some fun. Last 14 seasons have been nothing but stress.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

That 2001 season under Rod Rust must've been something... Go 9-0 first half & 0-9 the second half. Then lose in the playoffs. That must have been a schitzoid season... ;)

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

Didn't Rust end up coaching in winnipeg shortly thereafter? He must have been 83 or 84 at the time - made Dick Lebeau look like a cub scout!

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

I agree with 2-3-4. Treacherous Trestman is an outstanding coach and preparer/executor of gameplans. However, he's lost his OC to a head coaching job, the wheels finally fell off the best possession receiver in CFL history (Cahoon), one of the great centres in CFL history turned in the keys (Chew) and AC finally hit his downside even though he bravely trudges on. Most importantly the magic man behind the scenes, Jim Popp seemingly can't replace these "legends". DRAINO McPherson has been in Montreal's fold for what, 5 years and still doesn't seem capable of taking the reins from Antony....

15. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

2001 was the dinner we had to eat to win in 2002. Same as 2008 was the dinner we had to eat to win back to back. Sometimes you got to suck it in. Our last win in 2001 was the epic monday nighter against Jimmy Kemp and the argos after the 9-11 attacks and then like the twin towers we crumbled. The reason was in spite of a 9-2 start bronks' bombers kept winning too and always close games. We lose a few close ones to the peg and hammy then AC and Pringle go down. Then they return by the end of the year, too little too late. This is why you have to appreciate when you win a championship. So many variables and so many things have to go your way.

As for the 2011 als. Whitaker was the league's best rusher, Richardson could have won MOP. Whyte was the east's best canadian. AC had a stellar season and broke his records in style. We just weren't immunized with a plop-ball vaccine.

16. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Bronks, sometimes the imagery that your word association forces through my mind is more than even I can bear...:D

TM

17. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

By the way, greetings and a warm welcome to deuvl who's holding down one of the eastern outposts of our site from beautiful Montreal...:D

We've been awaiting your account activation, and hope to see more than "234" posts from you here!

And there's always room for more Als (or any other) fans on our board, so don't be shy about bringing a few of your friends along with you...;)

TM

18. Rids

Rids Member

Sometimes players just don't understand the business. Some hard feelings being expressed on Twitter today.

The GM says this:

A released player says this:

19. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks TM

There are other als fans? really? news to me.

20. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

If they had twitter the last 16 years, the stuff you'd have read on Popp. Rolls right off his back.