Amazon is pissing me off

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

A few months ago, I wanted to buy some gel pads for an electronic massager thing I use when my back hurts that were being sold on Amazon.com.

I put it in my cart, went through the entire checkout and at the very last minute, the last page that comes up says that this item "cannot be sold in my area".

I'm thinking WTF, this seller is a jerk and just doesn't want to deal with me because I'm in Canada. So I send them an email asking what their problem was and why they wouldn't sell it to me. The person responded back and said that Amazon "wouldn't let them sell anything to Canadians from the .com website".

He than tells me that if I'm still interested, he will personally list them on eBay with a buy it now option for the same price. He did and I bought them.

So FFWD to today, I'm looking for a battery powered, portable radio for the old man for his birthday. I foolishly go to Amazon.com and pick the one I want and go through the entire process again. Same damn message comes up - "this item is restricted from your area, BLAH BLAH BLAH".

So just out of curiosity, I go to Amazon.ca and look-up the same radio. There it is, from a different seller for $40 MORE than the one on Amazon.com.

I normally reserve my letter/email writing campaigns for politicians, but I'm going to make an exception for these a**holes. They're definitely going to hear from me about why, exactly, I never intend on shopping with Amazon.anything ever again.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's a very common occurence on the Internet. You can't buy stuff on Amazon.com & you can't watch movies or download music as well because of restrictions like that. It's like Canada & the rest of the world does not exist. Only the US. Go on CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox & try to watch tv episodes... Good luck with that.

3. Rids

Rids Member

It's not the rest of the world that doesn't exist it's the Canadian rules. They block you guys from watching on CBS.com to force you to watch the same shows on Global.com.

Ask yourself why the deals on shipping don't exist in Canada either. I never bought things online in Canada because of the high cost of shipping was way more than driving over to the store to purchase it myself. Here in Tennessee I'd rather buy things online because most of the time I can get it with free shipping. I ordered a cable to link up my laptop to my TV so I can watch CFL games on ESPN3 on an actual TV and it cost me $3 and they charged nothing for shipping. Why go to a store with prices like that!!!

4. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

We get deals on shipping here.

Amazon.ca still has free shipping.

As a matter of fact, most places still offer free or reduced shipping for most stuff.

It just pisses me off when they won't sell something that I can legally own and possess in Canada under the guise of "oh, well you can buy it for 1.5x the cost on our .ca website". :dodgy:

Freaking jerk-offs.

I sent them an email asking for an explanation, I'll post their response when (if) I get it.

5. Rids

Rids Member

I look forward to their response too. I'm going to guess that their hands are tied and they are forced to make Canadian customers shop via the .ca site rather than optioning items from the .com site to ship to Canada. Perhaps it's a GST thing - that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Doesn't the Amazon.ca free shipping only happen at a certain dollar mark? I remember that Chapters.ca had free shipping on orders over $30.

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

Amazon.com isn't even worth a visit unless you absolutely can't find what you're looking for on the Canadian version. I pretty much only use Amazon.ca and have always gotten free shipping through them. You may be right that you have to spend a certain dollar figure, I don't know for sure, but it can't be very high because I've bought a few things that were only about $10 and still got free shipping. I should point out that it's always worth clicking on the "other sellers" button. Some of the third party sellers are cheaper than Amazon itself and many of them offer free shipping as well.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Amazon is pretty good for things like books, CDs, small rpm 45 records, pamphlets, etc. They usually don't have product blocks on this kinda stuff. But americans shipping to canada have tons of obstacles including duty, slower tracking, certain categories subject to restrictions, etc.

8. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I order from Canada whenever possible.

Unfortunatly, it's not always possible.

The only "Canadian" store I generally try to avoid is Chapters, because their CEO is rabidly anti-gun, so I spend my money elsewhere.

Does your store have a website, Bronko?

9. Rids

Rids Member

SR let me guess...you also don't buy Hallmark greeting cards because of their anti-gun stance. If it wasn't for your recent story about leaving the house unlocked and not mentioning a wife/kids I would swear you were a good friend of mine using a new screen name...

10. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

No, I didn't know that Hallmark was anti-gun.

I'll have to add them to my list.