Ambitious And Talented Hughes After The Cfl Sack Crown This Season

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

11902834-large.jpg

Ambitious and talented Hughes after the CFL sack crown this season
    ‘I potentially could’ve had 20 sacks last year,’ says Stamps’ star defensive end
    George Johnson, Calgaryherald.com

The Bounty Hunter isn’t restricting his tracking skills to the pursuit of Frito Ray, Smilin’ Hank and the ol’ Ginger, Travis Lulay.

No, his appetite is infinitely more voracious than that. So he’s also set those cunning sights on also chasing down reigning sack supremo Keron Williams of B.C., a blitzing Adam Bighill or Shea Emery, Alex Hall of the Bombers. Whoever gets in his way.

Charleston Hughes plans on shedding sack-lead challengers the way he sheds poky offensive tackles — like a snake slipping out of its skin. The Calgary Stampeders’ all-star defensive end came up one slender quarterback takedown short of tying for the league lead a year ago. An oversight he plans on rectifying in 2013.

“I think about it from time to time,” he concedes. “I go back and review film and look at plays I did miss. They’re the ones that stick with you. The ones you miss.

“I potentially could’ve had 20 sacks last year. I finished with 11 but, man, I left a few out there. Looking back now, I shake my head, you know?

“It was early in the season when I missed a lot of those. You’ve got just to learn over time to break down the type of quarterback you’re facing and make the play.”

Making plays. Some people make music. Others make money. Still others make misery.
    Charleston Hughes makes plays. Oodles of ’em.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...itious+talented+Charleston/8491084/story.html

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Charleston Hughes quietly becoming CFL sackmaster for Calgary Stampeders
    Scott Fisher, Calgarysun.com

Charleston Hughes does most of his talking on the field.

In fact, the Calgary Stampeders defensive lineman showed up for his training camp interview with a personal translator — teammate Juwan Simpson.

How will you follow up last season, when you finished one sack off the league lead?

(Hughes whispers in Simpson’s ear).

“This is what he does,” Simpson said. “This is what he gets paid to do.

“The bar will be set even higher this year.”

So, how many sacks is that?

(More whispering).

“More than last year.”

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/0...ecoming-cfl-sackmaster-for-calgary-stampeders