Ameet Pall signs with Montreal (Update: Signs with Winnipeg)

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Madman, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow, seems like terrible asset management on the Stamps part.

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

I agree, that's brutal. You let your first round pick get away for nothing?! What the fudgesicles?

3. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Cant say I really understand this move, and I'm forced to believe there is possibly more to it. Perhaps Pall had an overwhelming desire to go back to Montreal. Still, no sense in just giving away our top picks.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not complaining. Thanks guys :p

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it goes beyond the issue of asset management.

It looks to me to be an indictment of the Stampeders' scouting on the guy.

All through camp, what we continuously heard was:

" 1.) the guy's sure got a "great motor" that's always kept running (which is ostensibly why the Stampeders had great interest in him in the first place);and

2.) boy, he's sure short for a DE, though..."

I know collegiate competition doesn't always feature players who are as tall as players who play professionally, but, still, nobody on the scouting staff had even an inkling about this guy's height maybe being an issue relative to that of the offensive players he'd be pitted against, before spending a 1st round pick on him? :-/

Did nobody even take a tape measure with them? ;)

Or, worse yet, did nobody from Stampeders' scouting even evaluate him in person before the draft? :mad:

TM

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't get what Huff is saying - hands were tied?? SMS??

They have released multiple veterans and just traded a well paid veteran away - how can the SMS be a concern?

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Money talks Huff.

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know if I can read any more about this.

Doesn't know? At this time of the season, you think you'd be all over this and have everything in line - ESPECIALLY for the #5 overall pick in this year's draft.

:mad:

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Ian Busby has a good blog post about the whole Pall situation - it's a good read.

Pall flies off to Montreal
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/p ... -montreal/

10. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I do not some thing smells here? This guy comes out west to try out for the Stamps all of a sudden he has injury issues and with out the stamps finding out what the extent they were he packs up and signs the next day with Montreal? Could there have been some tampering here? Not that we will miss him much after the fact he did not prove himself during his time here but does this not smell of tampering. I guess if he was out right released it does not matter but then again was this a plan all along?
    Maybe not just a thought!

11. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Al Cameron's blog on this:

Stampeders’ hand was forced with top draft pick Pall
    http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/06/ ... pick-pall/

12. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Calgary didn't do their homework on the draft. A wasted pick especially for 5th overall? In hindsight should have drafted Crawford after all. At least the stamps new what to expect.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Great. Now he's in Montreal. I don't know what to think about this other than disappointed.

14. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

If Ameet Pall down the road turns into another Anwar Stewart, unfortunate for the Stamps. Harsh lesson to learn, but that is the reality of football in the CFL. It seems he bolted pretty fast from the Stamps and to me it sounded like he didn't want to play here. What it is with the Stamps lately where a coach and now a player are leaving the team in the dead of the night?

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

He was a free agent. His agent did his job & got him another tryout with the Als.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

I know we're all over the Stamps right now for the Pall thing, but as Ian Busby astutely points out in the article Madman posted a link to, "...every scout will tell you that draft day is anything but an exact science. And, one supposes, it has to be pointed out that the Stamps’ scouting department has been on a pretty good run over the past few years... Hey, even Betty Crocker burns a few cakes…"

17. Rids

Rids Member

Here's some food for thought.

One of the comments from Huf was that Pall was the #5 non-import DL on the depth chart. If they already had 4 strong DLs in the cue what were their expectations in drafting a DL with the #5 pick? Most CFL teams hold to the understanding that players in their draft year that contribute to special teams constitutes a keeper of a pick. So if teams are drafting guys without the expectation that they'll compete for a regular role that first year and the Stampeders already had 4 non-imports in this particular unit then why didn't they look to another option?

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Good question. In Huff's defense, I will say that his drafting record has been pretty impeccable over the years but every so often, there will be a bust. This is one time. This one hurts though... The mottor that never quits. Guess that'll be Pall's handle from now on.

19. Rids

Rids Member

The problem is though that this isn't even really a bust. I'm sure that Stamps fans wouldn't have an issue if 6 games into the year the guy still had zero tackles and was getting run over if he was released then and signed by Montreal. But we're talking about a pick at a high spot in an area of strength and then losing him with no return. They at least got a 3rd round pick for a DB that was going to get cut in 24 hours.

20. Rids

Rids Member

A timely quote from Vandy's head coach James Franklin just showed up...