Post Game And 'The Beat' goes on...

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

...and the beat goes on...the drums keep pounding rhythm to the brain...and the beat goes on....and the beat goes on.

A methodical 'beat'.

Almost ploddingly so.

A melody we've come to know so well.

Edmonton plays Calgary.

Calgary beats Edmonton.

Lah de dah de...lah de dah de dah.

Last night, Calgary did it again.

Not with a lot of fanfare, in what was a relatively pedestrian effort on only four days' rest for both teams.

But it was nevertheless a win over a team which should have been far more desperate than they were for their first victory this season before the home crowd at Commonwealth, as well as for some measure of comeuppance against the Stampeders for the perennially harsh treatment inflicted upon them by their arch rivals to the south, not to mention the harsh lashing recently given them by their own General Manager....;)

And pedestrian though much of it was, it did have its moments.

The Heroes:

Cornish with a typical rebound game for him with 130 yards on 14 carries (with another 30 yards of gains on the ground called back on a couple of holding calls against Calgary's offensive line). Corndog also hauled in 6 passes for another 46 yards and a major (but I thought he dropped several catchable balls which would have added to the total on the evening).

Paredes was Mr. Automatic (or, en espanol, Senor Auto-Matador :D) in a 5 for 5 field goal kicking performance which accounted for the rest of the scoring in the contest by Calgary outside of the converted TD Cornish put in the house in the game's opening minutes.

Arthur: some clutch catches to help sustain drives and to, in part, redeem his miserable performance on Labour Day.

BLM: the kid hung in there to outduel another game youngster playing QB for the Green and Gold . Hardly a spectacular performance, but an efficient one (outside of an ill-considered lob under which the Esks DB Thompson was standing, and who was no doubt grateful to have it thrown directly to him). Nevertheless, on a night when neither side showed a whole lot of passing prowess, Bo completed 73 per cent of the passes he threw.

Law: 6 tackles and a sack for a young player who's started to earn a name for himself opposite the bookend at the other end of the Stampeders' defensive front four.

Hughes: "the bookend" who plays opposite Law who collected 2 more sacks, along with 2 official tackles (I thought he had more), and who was a constant terrorizing presence in Edmonton's backfield all game.

Also having strong outings among the front 7 were Mayo (6 tackles and a sack), and amongst the DBs, Raymond (5 tackles), Smith (with 4 more), and Bennett who also had 4 tackles, but more importantly blanketed Coehoorn all game and held a clearly frustrated Esks receiver to a single catch for a paltry 5 yards...;)

Among the Eskimos, Henry was a threat at receiver all game long for Edmonton with 4 catches for 73 yards, and White showed flashes along the ground, piling up 89 yards on 16 carries.

On defence, Curran made 9 tackles for the Esks, while Thompson had 5 (and the above-mentioned 'gift pick' from BLM). Rwabukamba also had a better outing after having been repeatedly victimized on LD.

After that, there wasn't much to choose from (unless you give an honourable mention to Reilly who gamely held in there and picked himself up time and time again after the 'impossible' ;) - Calgary's second consecutive 7 sack performance - befell him yet again).

For that reason, I'm giving a Heroes award to the long-suffering Edmonton crowd at Commonwealth, a number of whom I count as personal friends. For a visiting trio of Stampeders fans, we encountered nothing but grace in defeat amongst Eskimos faithful, who coupled their aplomb with a muted sense of resignation, while hoping to see better days ahead.

Can there be a better definition of fans that that?

Lets face it folks, a 1 and 9 seasonal record isn't fun for any fanbase, and this group of fans still turned out in higher numbers than Calgary had mustered on LD, to watch the flailings of an atrociously over-matched club, and they took the unpleasant 'medicine' administered to them by a hated rival, with class, and offered only congratulations and hospitality in return.

So here's to you, Eskimos fans! :)

The Zeroes:

O'Neill: the 'bearded one' gassed a couple of makeable field goals for the Esks and was 1 for 3 on his attempts for the game. Make all of them, and perhaps the tide turns in the game. As it was, the rookie kicker had the crowd almost literally howling for "The Shaw-'shank' Redemption" ;) (For those who aren't familiar with the Stephen King title, it means even the odd one 'shanked' by Shaw would feel like redemption!).

Eskimos O-line: Hervey wasn't wrong about them. He was just dead wrong in how and where he leveled criticism at them. Fourteen sacks over two consecutive games says it all. Until that group matures and gels as a unit, the Edmonton Eskimos aren't going anywhere fast.

The Canadian Football League: There is no good reason to schedule the rematch game in Edmonton on Friday nights anymore. A scant 4 days to get ready for another game just contributes to player mistakes, more injuries,and a poor level of play on both sides. Move the game to Saturday, or Sunday (which might even have the collateral benefit of increasing attendance at the game by Calgary fans who can't otherwise abandon work obligations for a 7pm Friday kickoff).

When all is said and done, a win's still a win.

Including the relentlessly monotonous ones.

Even Sonny and Cher couldn't have written a better tune. :D

TM

Tags:
    Doogie58 and Madman like this.
  2. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

Well said Tundra, yet again.

Especially agree with your kudos to the Eskimo fans. For the second year in a row we were treated with friendliness and respect by Eskimo Fan, despite the Stampeders beating them in both ends of the Labour Day back to back series- both years. We met very nice fans in stadium and at after game gatherings in both visits. Fun to share stories with, and Eskimo fan knows their football. Special shout out to Brian and Paul who were particularly gracious and welcoming.

Also sincere thanks to you Tundra, and Mrs. Mustang for being such accommodating and gracious hosts to the VI Raider Girl and myself. We very much appreciated the great hospitality and guidance in getting around in Edmonton, and comfy accommodation in your home. We look forward to seeing you two, and all the other Eskimo fans next year. I certainly hope the CFL gets the message that the "Following Friday" format has run it's course, and moves this game to Saturday afternoon. Some traditions are meant to die their natural death. This is one of them!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378676034.018591.jpg

Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for endorsing my comments regarding the game, and for your role in the interaction with Esks fans throughout the gameday experience as well as afterward, Doogie.

It takes both sides to make the experience a cordial one, and I think we were as gracious in victory as Esks fans around us were in defeat, and you and Cecilia were great ambassadors for Calgary and for the team in Red and White. ;)

For folks who may follow other CFL sites, Brian is the legendary "Eskinator", while Paul is the almost as legendary "Great White North", and I'm proud to count both of them, and their spouses, as long-time personal friends.

Just as I'm proud to call Dougall and Cecilia my friends who are welcome to stay with us at our home at any time.

Mrs. Mustang and I are already looking forward to your next visit! :D

Postscript: I would be remiss if I didn't mention the outstanding bottle of tequila anejo Doogie brought up from Calgary and gave to me which he, Cecilia and I enjoyed a couple of late night shots from around our bar at home late into the early hours of Saturday morning. The tequila was wonderful, the conversation even better, and, as a result, my post-game reports on this site were late. Sorry about that! ;)

TM

4. Liske

Liske Member

So who's who in this photo?
    (I think I can guess Mrs. Mustang).

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, Mrs. Mustang took the photo.

Pictured is the lovely Cecilia who came up from Calgary with Doogie.

Doogie58 wears a jersey bearing that number.

I'm the one that's left. ;)

TM

6. Liske

Liske Member

So you really ARE that guy in the commercial ! ;)

Stay thirsty, Tundra.