Andrew Harris: NFL Bound?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Feel free to comment.

Edmonton lost a guy who's probably not as good as Harris.

Harris is young, fast, athletic and strong. Combine that with a football IQ that belies his years and you have a 24 year old RB who could easily be an NFL #2 or #3 RB - I admit he's not quite strong, fast or quick enough to be a #1 monster, other than on some of the dreg teams and then only temporarily.

Lulay could probably be an easy #2, #3 for sure on at least half the NFL teams. Wouldn't you agree?

But he'll probably stick with Wally and start making $350,000 to $425,000 like Ricky, AC & Henry. I don't see a competitior like Lulay going NFL, even for $550k to $750k to hold a clipboard and be a shadow runner at practices. Although there's probably a cadre of teams who pay their #2 guy, 1.5 to 3.25 million, some #3's might be creeping into the million mark.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Messam is more NFL on paper.

Harris at 5'11 200lbs vs Messam at 6'4 248lbs.

The only real advantage that Harris has on Jerome is that he's 2 years younger.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Only Barry Sanders made it at that size if I'm not mistaken. Harris is good but I'm not seeing it happen.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Which begs the question. If Harris warrants an NFL tryout, what about Cornish?

btw - didn't know Mess was that big, even Big Mike Sellers (a bomber import) was 6'3" and 265-270 and he was just dragging DBs and linebackers around when he played beside Charles Roberts.

Messam is pretty fast for his massive infrastructure but he's not a 4.5 runner, maybe 4.65 to 4.7 though

5. Rids

Rids Member

There are a number of NFL backs at that size. However they generally have a pedigree behind them that gives legitimacy to the signing. Most of the backs that size went to a UCLA (Maurice Jones Drew at 5'7" 200lbs) or Alabama (Mark Ingram at 5'9" 215lbs) or Miami (Clinton Portis at 5'11" 217lbs). NFL coaches/scouts know those schools, watched those games and remember the plays.

What they don't know is what a VI Raider is or how it compares to anything they know on paper. They don't understand the Canadian Junior Leagues and really attribute "junior" with a subpar high school age league. The questions about the level of competition will crop up early and often.

Andrew Harris needs a season long award (more than being the Canadian MVP in the Grey Cup) and a 1000 yards on the ground to get a sniff and potentially needs 2 of those 1000 yard years to get beyond a rookie camp during the cold months.

Remember that Jerome Messam was recruited to Rutgers. Quite a few people knew his name and were looking forward to a one two punch of Ray Rice and this kid out of Canada that ran for 300+ yards on the US.

A bit on Messam:

6. Rids

Rids Member

Messam was clocked at 4.55 at his pro day and was carrying more weight than what he played with in Edmonton last year. This is a guy that slimmed down from college to pro rather than the other way around.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Harris is a very good CFL back. Rids is right, he can't play with the Big Dawgs down south. His size & speed are the problem. I just don't think he has the tools in the toolbox to compete against monster DL, linebackers & strong safeties down there. Coaches know a little bit about junior football as I can attest but not much. They like the fact that an 18 year old kid in the CJFL is playing against 22 year olds but that is it. Harris never played in the NCAA so he is an unknown although starring in the CFL will help him. Still, there is a bias as the CFL is viewed as a passing league with strange rules. CFL receivers get a lot of love down there but not running backs so much.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

One wonders then about Chris Matthews being given short shrift in the NFL?

9. Rids

Rids Member

Chris Matthews and Greg Carr are two receivers that will get NFL looks after a year or two more in the CFL. Ideal size, good pedigree, they saw something they didn't like in both of them to not be in the NFL already but if they can both stay healthy and put up good numbers they'll have a shot again.

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Actually I disagree. He could maybe be a #3--big maybe--but I haven't seen the consistent accuracy needed to be an NFL QB. Don't get me wrong he's emerging nicely as a CFL starter but if you ask me he's taken a small back step from last years dramatic turnaround and romp to the Grey Cup. Granted he has enough size, athleticism, and arm to get a shot but right now he's lagging behind even Burris at the same stage of his career in terms of accuracy (if you can believe that) and we know how far his NFL career went. He'll need to shore that up to have a legitimate shot in that league.

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

What I wonder is if Chris Williams will get a shot. He's gotten faster even than he was last year and is probably the biggest threat to score from anywhere on the field that the CFL has seen in quite some time.

The only thing that might be standing in his way is that quite small and may not posses the elite level shiftiness to compensate.

Still, he looks an awful lot like Chris Johnson of the Titans did a few ago when he first burst onto the scene and put up monster numbers at running back. Granted they play different positions, but people had the same criticisms of Johnson when he was drafted. The thing is they look almost like clones to me when they run. It's effortless and they don't really look like they're moving that fast until you realize that they're running past everyone and leaving them in the dust.

I think Williams could at least be a return man and a change of pace receiver who can stretch the field. What do you guys think?