Signing Anthony Parker signs with Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Official Stampeders Release

PARKER STAYS WITH RED AND WHITE
    Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel is pleased to announce the re-signing of non-import receiver Anthony Parker. As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
    Parker played 17 regular-season games in 2013, recording career highs with 21 catches and 217 yards. The Okotoks product scored the first two touchdowns of his CFL career — the first on July 26 in Winnipeg and the other on Oct. 26 against Saskatchewan.
    The University of Calgary alum added four carries for 29 yards and also saw action on special teams, returning three kickoffs for 51 yards.
    Continue reading: http://stampeders.com/article/parker-stays-with-red-and-white

3. oilpatchhilbily

I had it backwards....thought M Jackson would resign and Parker would be scooped up another club.
    I like this outcome way better, I think we'll see bigger and better things from Parker this year.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, for sure I think he's reaching the "make it or break it" point in his career, oilpatch.

Just like Forzani (who might already be done as a consequence of his uncertain health), I think the Stampeders need to see more from their younger Canadian receivers this season than they've produced to date, in order to justify a further investment in them beyond this season.

And I think Parker will be given every opportunity this year to show the Stampeders that their faith in him was warranted.

As will Forzani, provided he's in condition to report...

TM

5. oilpatchhilbily

You don't hear a lot about Forzani (almost back, or more serious than they let on)? Guess we'll see.

I'll go out on a limb about Parker and this season...I think it worked out for the best how Huff stood his ground and Parker had a chance to see the grass wasn't necessarily greener (or worth more) on the other side.

With that little experience out of the way, we will see him grabbing more time on the highlight reel...I just have a gut feeling that we'll be glad he's still in the Red and White again this year (more so than previously). If not, I can always tweet him

about not liking the taste of crow...

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Homegrown product Parker briefly tests CFL free-agent waters before re-signing with Stamps
    Free agent waters didn’t run too deep for Anthony Parker and thus the homegrown receiver returns to the fold.
    “I’m excited for having the opportunity to play for a great team,” offered Parker, who on Wednesday re-signed with the Calgary Stampeders — the club’s second transaction of the day. “That’s first and foremost. I’m really just grateful that Coach Huff and the staff over there believed in me and waited out a little longer than probably they needed to. Letting me go into free agency and letting me see what’s out there. At the end of the day, yeah, I was happy they stuck with me.
    “Part of it for me was just getting a little bit of clarity on things,” he added, “seeing what’s out there, not just dollar wise but opportunity wise. It was good to get a look at that. But at the end of the day I think both financially and from a football perspective, I stayed in Calgary and I was fortunate that they were willing to wait that extra day for me.”
    Continue reading: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...own+product+Anthony+Parker/9501254/story.html

Calgary Stampeders re-sign Anthony Parker
    There’s no arguing the fact that Anthony Parker’s star has dimmed.
    When the Calgary Stampeders selected Parker third-overall in the 2011 CFL Canadian Draft, the expectations were as sky-high as the talent level possessed by the Okotoks product.
    As the Stamps re-signed Parker to a new two-year deal Wednesday without much fanfare, the microscope isn’t nearly as magnified and the expectations are tempered.
    But Parker still believes he has a chance to become the homegrown star the Stampeders envisioned when they traded up in the draft in order to ensure the former University of Calgary Dinos standout was dressed in Red & White.
    Continue reading: http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/12/calgary-stampeders-re-sign-anthony-parker