Anti-Sunshine Boys Still Unemployed

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Two giants of the CFL remain jobless as CFL teams wind up training camps and the exhibition seasons.

Mike `Maggot` Kelly and Greg `Sgt. Slaughter`Marshall are still side-lined, hunting for work and living off their financial settlement packages.

Kelly now resides in the city of brotherly love (Winnipeg) as he married his lawyer`s receptionist. Last year he was a feature analyst on TSN 1290`s inaugarual coverage of Blue Bomber football. Actually, Mike didn`t do a bad job, he`s got the radio pipes and despite how I loathe his coaching and personal human style he could easily replace Glen Suitor and=or Duane ``Wait for It`` Forde.....

But I think Kelly has burned most of his bridges and will have to seek employment outside the CFL.

Meanwhile, haven`t kept track of Greg Marshall`s whereabouts - but he doesn`t seem to be working either. Probably waiting for his induction into the CFL`s Coaching Hall of Shame.

Both legends are now in their mid 50s so I don`t know how long they can hang in their looking for CFL work.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

wait a few weeks. as soon as a couple of teams begin to struggle (like maybe the bombers :D) their phones might be a ringin'.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

My understanding is Maggot (Mike Kelly) is personna non grata in Wpg. (where he resides) - - - Jeff Reinbold is in that category, too!

On the other hand Marshall is probably not shunned in Wpg. but we've already stolen Burke from you guys (half of the famed BurkenPlop combination in the peg)

But if Crowton bolts the big blue, I doubt they'd want Marshall coaching offense, as he barely can coach defense.

How was Neil Diamond Ferri?

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Marshall seems to be taking a break & why not? Let the Riders pay for his year & a half holiday after Hopson & Grandpa screwed him over. As far as Kelly goes, he's a nutbar. He'll never be a CFL HC again. But he could resurface here (shudder!!!) if Lyle Bauer ever rests control of the football operations from Huff.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Lyle would have to actually purchase the team from current owners before being able to rescue Kelly from the mean streets. And knowing Lyle he's not going to want to put any of his money into a marginal profit operation like a CFL team - not when he's drawing down around $400,000/yr. from general revenues.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Just awesome. Still, he's no Phil Collins ;)

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

I actually saw Collins when he was the drummer for Genesis. Around 1976-77 at Playhouse Theatre (cap. 1800) in Wpg.

Peter was still the lead singer. Collins drum kit was hoisted 30 to 30 feet up in the air. Really neat stuff.

I liked Genesis a lot, although their old LPs barely sell anymore. Not like Can, Hawkwind, Van Der Graaf, Zappa, etc.

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

In Quebec we have a band called the Musical Box which is the only one with permission to remake old genesis shows since 1998. I've seen Foxtrot (1972) in 2000. They've done The Lamb Lies Down this past may and they're going to do Selling England in 2013. They did Trick of the Tail twice. I dunno if they tour in Canada but they are wonderful.

We also have a Quebecer by the name of Marty Levac who does a spitting image impression of Phil on voice and drums. With Phil retired his presence will be most welcome.

piz would be so proud of these thread derailings.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Building traffic for the site. A bit of derailing is in order. My favourite Genesis album is Lamb Lies Down - used to play it extensively on my old radio show 'The Time, Space & Dream Machine' way back in the mid to late 70s.......all cuts were great but I particularly enjoyed 'The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging' - it was almost punk!

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Piz needs to spend time here. After all, he joined Eskimos Empire... The ultimate non conformist... besides, we need his Joke Of The Day. If Piz joins here & becomes a regular, I'll stop saying Moncton can't support a CFL team. ;)

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

That was the last Genesis album I listened to in 2005 to complete the set. It's also their most complex album. The show given by the musical box was an exact replica of 1974 with the original slideshow, the slippermen outfit and the instruments. Even Phil and Peter admitted they didn't play as well back then.

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

A blonde,a brunette and a redhead are stranded in the desert. One finds a genie lamp and starts to rub it. The genie goes: 'I will grant you each One wish'.

The brunette goes:'Give me a private jet, so I can get out of here'. Done.

The redhead goes: 'I just want to go home'. Done.

The blond remains silent. The genie impatiently asks for her wish.

'I miss my two friends. I wish they were here'.

It's not piz but while we wait.