Anyone ever had shingles?

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rusty, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

I have diagnosed with shingles. I net into my military Dr Tues with extreme pain and numbness in my left hand, arm, shoulder. I thought it was from a bite of some kind because I am allergic to almost everything that flies. They gave me Ibprofin. I had to go back Friday because the pain was unbearable, it hurt to have a shower!!! I have some lesions on my left hand and it is shingles. I have been in pain before but this really sucks!!! I have a lot of drugs now and I am still in extreme pain. Anyone ever have this? What works to help get over it sooner other then the drugs. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Please send booze to help me wash down the pills. :p

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't suffered from shingles myself, Russ, but i understand that topical creams are also avilable to reduce pain and irritation. You can get benzocaine over the counter, while something like a Lidoderm patch you'd have to have prescibed by your doctor.

And if none of that works, you better get yourself out here to Alberta on that planned family vacation this summer, and I'll administer some of that oft-favoured remedy found in a 26 ounce bottle...:D

In fact, I'll join you in it myself...just in case it prevents shingles...;)

TM

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

We are coming home to Alta in Aug. Back to Sundre to visit Ma and Pa. We are planning a trip to Edmonton, I want to pee on the sign and I want to take my ladies to the waterpark. I will let you know when we are there. I am going to check the football schedule now.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nobody should diagnose from internet but the only advice I'll offer is to attend a walk-in clinic or emergency room clinic, present yourself and your symptoms to verify the first diagnosis.

Sometimes, things like heat rash, heat stroke and other maladies can mirror shingles in early stages. If you get lucky they'll give you some topical creams or ointments to relieve some of the irritation. Probably worth waiting 5 to 10 hours in a hospital waiting room to get another opinion. (in a walk-in clinic your wait will be under 2 or 3 hours but the equipment they have is limited, mostly the doctors eyes, bp, swab tests, pulse tests, temp, etc.)

5. Liske

Liske Member

Funny, I was just walking to the store about an hour ago and noticed a sign in front of a shopping plaza offering vaccines for shingles.

I didn't realize there was vaccines for it. Perhaps it's only preventative and may not help you now. I don't know, but I would echo Bronko's advice and try a walk-in clinic and ask a lot of questions.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If you had Measles as a kid you carry the Shingles virus. Apparently it becomes active (although not everybody gets it) the older you become over 50. I had measles when I was a kid. I hope I don't get it.

7. Liske

Liske Member

Actualy I think it's chickenpox, not measles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001861/

Thankfully, because I've had measles but not chickenpox.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I've had both. I am so done...