Argos (and now Esks) release Boyd

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Madman, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.cfl.ca/article/argonauts-rel ... -cory-boyd

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

RE: Argos release Boyd

What a head scratching move that is. Throwing Boyd under the bus like that. The CFL's leading rusher is suddenly gone. Hope the Bombers pick him up as they need a running back. And then he can pound the Argos the rest of his career everytime they play. Nearly 500 yards rushing & somehow getting rid of the guy is going to make Toronto better? How??

3. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

This was obviously for non-football reasons as you would think that they could of at least got a draft pick or two from the Bombers in a trade. I would assume that they will be all over him offering him top RB salary.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Maybe a salary cap issue as well. Hey I guess it is good news for the Stamps, because in the past few games I thought Boyd rushed well against the D.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

"We believe a different style of play is needed at running back to heighten the success of our new offence and, considering the personnel we already have on our team..." --Jim Barker

Wow that makes sense. Is it April Fools Day again? Does anyone believe that for a second? He's leading the league in rushing for God's sake, and he's a capable receiver out of the backfield too!

There HAS to be more to this story than meets the eye. And I don't mean contract squabbles. Nobody releases the league's leading rusher mid-season in the thick of a tight divisional battle over contract issues that can be resolved in the off season. There's no logic to that whatsoever.

The only conclusion I can see is that he violated some kind of team conduct policy and it just hasn't come to light yet.

Regardless, he's going to be a pretty prize for whoever signs him. And someone will. A player of his pedigree isn't going to be waiting long for his phone to ring.

Off the hook.

6. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Boyd may not be a model player but if Huff could bring him in for the remainder of the season that would provide a big boost for a team that will be in tough just to make the playoffs under Glenn. While Cornish broke out against the worst defense in the league it's not a given that the league's worst running game is back on track. Boyd and Cornish in the backfield would make the team a lot less dependant on Glenn's arm and possibly make something of a season that looks kind of like a wash without Tate.

7. Christoph

Christoph Member

I completely agree but Huff has rarely shown a willingness to pursue other team's free agents. Larry Taylor is one of the rare exceptions. But just to clarify precisely what you're proposing, I'm assuming the team would cut Coker in favor of Boyd?

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Here is what Rob Murphy tweeted about Boyd. Not complimentary:
    "BIGMURPH56: My thoughts on Cory Boyd? He was a fraud who fooled the media for 2yrs. Good player when healthy but not a good teammate. Media just ate it up."
    So, obvious locker room issues we didn't know about...

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Don't ya love it when once cancer attacks another. (ie. Murphy on Boyd)?

Obviously, Boyd must have been fartin' fierce or eatin' crackers in bed w/ Barker. Chasin' down another player's wife? Doing a brilliant David Braley/3 Stooges imitation?

In order of CFL interest here's the lineup:

1. Edmonton
    2. Sask'n
    3. Calgary
    4. Winnipeg (tons of fellow cancers to commune with and a great Earls with gals just ready to jump into CFL player's arms)
    5. BC (don't rule Wallyball out; Harris might have some turf-toe and you don't get too many opportunities to get a primo 27 yr old power back w/ hands into your lineup)

Frankly, I wouldn't rule out anyone. Even Montreal & Hammy could use quality imports. But if Boyd is earning a $150 to $200 pay toque there could be some cap problems.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

If scott didn't want him I doubt trestman would. They run the same offence where the rusher needs to do some blocking. something boyd isn't quite doing.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nobody likes blocking for white QBs, do they. So that rules Wpg out as they have 4 whiteys....

Toronto has Ray - nobody blocks for Ricky anymore!!!

Even ex NFL boy Chad Simpson stopped blocking for Brink, and surprize, surprize, Plop Gipper pulled him out!

12. Rids

Rids Member

And it looks like Boyd has signed in Edmonton. Unemployed for about 8 hours....give or take.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

Welcome to The Babysitter's Club, Mr. Boyd.....

Watch yo back!

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Imagine if Winnipeg had signed him... Nah, why even think about that as Mack would never attempt to sign anyone. That would be too much work.

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

Would have had to send their old trainer, Ross Hodgkinson out to draw up the paperwork. Evidently, "Skinner" (Hodgkinson's nickname) is the only guy in the organization who knows how to draw up contracts. Boyd would have had to go 3 or 4 days without food or water before he signed with the Bummers. Bum squad is even considering replacing a young pylon named Jordy Tamborina with another ex-Argo, a big giant named Shannon Boatman (clone of Jermese Jones)

16. Rids

Rids Member

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

As per Tillman's MO, the SMS means nothing to him.

18. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I thought trading Ray freed up a fair bit of cap room for him? Regardless it appears the Ricky Ray to Toronto deal is now complete. Almost like this was a designed release and sign as Boyd signed so fast with the Eskimos it's hard to imagine he had time to properly access what other opportunities were available.

19. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

We need to start kicking thugs out of the league, not welcoming them.

This "win at any cost" attitude is starting to piss me off.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of convicts and wife batterers run around on a field and catch a football, I'd just wait for the NFL to start. This is the CFL, let's try to keep it classy.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Domestic violence happens everywhere in society. Doesn't matter how much money you make, rce, creed or religion. The drunk guy down on his luck & broke to a successful businessman or athlete. And it can also go the other way when the male spouse gets abused. You only hear about it because the person is a celebrity. You can't judge the CFL or somehow think it is morally superior to the NFL just because guys mmake less money. The CFL mirrors society.