Argos lore for CFL history buffs

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The whole truth about the Argos' 1983 Grey Cup victory

Paul Woods’ book, Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs, is something many sports books aren’t.
    It’s honest.
    Sports publications often have sacred cows hidden somewhere between the pages. Bouncing Back has its share of flattery. After all, the team did ultimately win. But along the road, the commentary Woods dispenses can be alternately scathing and glowing.
    So it is that Ralph Sazio is depicted as saviour. And skinflint.
    “One of the first interviews I did was with Tom Trifaux, who was an offensive lineman,” Woods says recently when discussing his book. “He wasn’t a star but he told me something very important ... This needs to be the full story. It should not be sugar-coated.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/17/the-whole-truth-about-the-1983-argos-grey-cup-win

A real who's who of names from the CFL's storied past in what sounds like a great read.

I think I'll look for this one myself! ;)

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I got myself a copy. Very good stuff.

Didn't know the argos were fined for tampering by bringing in Sazio. History repeats itself.

he goes by paulwoods13 on argofans.com for those wishing to thank him.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Deuvl has nearly every CFL book available I believe. The only guy I know with a larger collection is Mike (56Parkies on many boards) out in Victoria.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

there aren't that many out there. Go Stamps Go is a pretty good one too.

5. Paul Woods

Paul Woods Member

Hi, everyone. I was tipped off about this thread and decided to sign up to the forum. Thanks for the shout-outs. I definitely need to compare notes with Deuvl and 56Parkies (the latter of whom I have conversed with through email and Twitter) as I also have a large collection of CFL books. Glad to be able to add my own the bookshelf!

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome aboard, Paul!

When I saw the article about your book in the Toronto Sun, I thought its subject matter might be of interest to members and CFL fans here.

I know it certainly is to me. ;)

I'll be looking for it.

I hope you won't be a stranger and that we'll see more of you from time to time on our forum! :D

TM

7. Paul Woods

Paul Woods Member

Thanks, Tundra. I have set this forum up on my favorites bar and will visit regularly for sure. I lived in Calgary in the late 1980s and actually got to cover the Stamps for my then-employer, Canadian Press, for two seasons (Rick Johnson/Bob Vespaziani/Lary Kuharich). Fun times!

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Late '80's Stampeders' coverage in Calgary, and Lary K to boot, and yet still a CFL fan! :wideyed:

You, sir, are truly a 'die-hard'! :D

As am I.

TM

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

by the way paul i'm the one who tipped you off. i happen to be 294life on argofans. ;)

not a coincidence as the stamps and argos square off to celebrate the 1983 team. no better time to get this rivalry going :p

10. Paul Woods

Paul Woods Member

Thanks 294/deuvl. At some point I would definitely like to compare lists of books, so we can both make sure we have every one ever published!

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

here's a short list:

-Pinball. the making of a canadian hero
    -Danny McManus
    -Alouettes-a history (2006)
    -Rider pride on the american side
    -the water boy
    -the ken ploen story
    -kid dynamite-the gerry james story
    -double blue
    -100 grey cups (duh)
    -george reed
    -go stamps go

no eskimo books unfortunately.

12. Paul Woods

Paul Woods Member

Thanks -- I don't have time to do it this week but some time soon I will post my list. It's pretty long. But you have at least three or four on yours that I don't have yet.

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm waiting for bronko's diaries . 'Twenty plus years of failure. The life of an upset Bomber fan'

14. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

Awesome that the writer of the book shows up! Fantastic! Guessing that Barnes and Noble won't have it on the shelf.

15. Paul Woods

Paul Woods Member

Thanks for the shout-out. Bouncing Back won't be found in Barnes and Noble or Chapters/Indigo because the big chains require a cut of about 50% of the cover price. As a self-published author who covered all costs associated with the book (travel for interviews, hiring editors, transcribers and a designer), I can't make that work financially. So the book is for sale as a print-on-demand product here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-woods/bouncing-back-from-national-joke-to-grey-cup-champs/paperback/product-21083101.html

Madman and Barracuda like this.