Around the CFL

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bob the dog, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

James Wilder to Montreal pretty well sets the expectations for the import running back market. Expecting CJ Gable will have to take something similar to the $95,000 Wilder apparently signed for. Notable exception to the pay scale at the position is Andrew Harris who even as a National is making twice as much as the next closest guy who may be William Powell.

Add Antonio Pipkin to the choices for a backup QB. Likely a good move on his part to get away from the newly anointed Vern Adams. Jon Jennings possibly affected.

Tags:
  2. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Some good players becoming available. I guess we have to wait to see how it goes.

Anyone looking for a receiving corp could do worse than Devone Posey, Davaris Daniels, and Manny Arcenaux for a start. Maybe a DC 89 for some flavour and the fans. Fit them into Ottawa's lineup beside Sinopoli and Rhymes and they might surprise a few.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I hadn't realized that Daniels had only signed for one year with the Eskimos...

Wonder if he goes east?

TM

4. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Naaman Roosevelt is another good one that might come at a reasonable price. He was one that had the right production vs cost that made him a good fantasy pick last year. Had a couple of seven catch games for sure.

Lions paying Lamar Durant a rumoured $192,000 will have a ripple effect if player agents have their way.

5. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Curious about Terry Williams. I thought he was very good last year. Sounded like not everyone felt that way though.

Frankie Williams might be another returner option for the Stamps with the added benefit of being capable of playing DB. Likely coming off his ELC so maybe he fits. I think Hamilton would miss him. We'll see if they pay up.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Bombers should go hard after Naaman Roosevelt - especially now that they have a QB who can get the ball to him. Bombers only had Adams and a passel of slower possession guys. An experienced CFL hand with star qualities would be the best way to complement whatever Kyle Walters is trying to reel in from south of da border.

7. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Maybe something going on in Bomberland with Darvin Adams still unsigned. Pretty sure he has been in the $200,000 range for a few years now which is a lot for what he has delivered. Good point on how now the Bombers have a QB that can use the entire field and get the ball to the receivers.

Locking Adams in blocks the way forward for guys like Lawler who played well on an entry level contract. Bombers had two or three of those guys.

Long way to go but I see Winnipeg needing the crossover to make the playoffs at this point. Miracles do happen (pieces of bread that look like Jesus and so forth) but not that often.

For my dollar Davaris Daniels or a Roosevelt would be just as good as Adams. Bombers do like to throw money around though so we'll see.

Small bit of trivia for a Bomber fan: Janarion Grant is the great nephew (grandfather's brother) of Mudcat Grant who was the first year Expos opening day starter. Would be a better story if he would have thrown a no hitter. As it was I believe he was pulled in the second inning for Dan McGinn who was the first to hit a home run for the Expos. Cocoa Laboy and Rusty Staub were 0 - 4. Expos lost to the Mets 3 - 2. It started a love affair until they broke my heart and moved south.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

I remember that first game from Jarry Park in Montreal. The Expos fielded a team of mostly AAA & AA scrubs but they were so juiced up to be on national TV they actually played a decent game. Remember Old Mack Jones putting a ball over the fence in left centre for an Expos round-tripper. Nice trivia about Mudcat-Janarion Grant. Mudcat must have been at the end of the rope, looking for some final MLB pay cheques.

I don't think Bombers are paying Darwin Adams more than $150k, perhaps as low as $135k. The combo of Adams plus Roosevelt and Davaris Daniels w/ Collaros tossing could be lethal for the Big Blue. Bigger question is whether Andrew "Husky" Harris can maintain his fantastic running/passing numbers at 34 and now fully deprived of the so-called "supplements"? Even a slightly reduced Harris should be good for a 750/750 season - there's just no way he'll even soar near 1,000/1,000 again.

9. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Who didn't want to be left fielder Mack Jones? Batting clean up. Not sure if Bob Bailey was a part of that lineup or not. Gary Sutherland and Bobby Wine played infield. Expos were a great organization with several managers that were there for a number of years. Gene Mauch and Felipe Alou. And many great players.

Riddle me this; in what world does Julian Feoli Guidino rank above Anthony Coombs? Could also see the Bombers being in on Derel Walker.

10. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Don Jackson is a guy I would take a chance on if I was looking for a RB. Won't have too much leverage from last year and should come at good price wherever he signs.

11. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Bombers re-sign Michael Couture to take him off the market. Guessing that cost $150,000 or more. Couture played well as a first year starter and will be a future anchor and potential All Star. Assuming Desjarlais will return as left guard. Gray and Speller solid 6th men. Health of Stanley Bryant the key to Winnipeg's Oline.

12. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

13. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Really sorry to hear that...

He'll be missed in Calgary.

Can't ever have enough of those big play receivers. :(

TM

15. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

16. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Loving the Dakota Prukop addition. Unless he is the game one starter perhaps. Hope they let him stay on special teams.

Leonard, McGough, and McEwen were all nice additions. Heard rumour of Brandon Dozier but not seeing anything official on that.

Still trying to get a handle on all the movement. Seems Toronto has a lot of receivers and surprised Sol E did not get a better offer for starters. Can't believe Kyle Walters scoffing at teams using free agency to build their teams and talking about keeping his championship team together being the focus. Maybe forgot that they were also a third place team that got lucky. Paying Willie Jefferson will have an impact. Particularly if they lose Drake Nevis who they should have signed to a two year deal last year. Maybe Jake Thomas steps up once again.

Solid additions in Ottawa. Coombs has upside and Cleyon Laing and Don Unamba will help. Hoping the RB's have a good year.

17. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Rodney Smith could have big upside for a reasonable price in a Bo Levi offence imo. 6' 5" . Would like to see it. Particularly with regard to Kamar Jordan and Eric Rogers having potential health issues. Awesome trio lined up together if healthy. Maybe Josh Huff will be the guy. Hergy needs to play. Even so, one injury and they need someone good to be ready.

Sounds like Dozier is a Stamp. Double blow by adding him and BC losing him. Love the head games. Could do worse than Derek Dennis but likely coming down to money.

Looking forward to Prukop under Dave D and Huff.

#17 Bob the dog, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 8:29 AM
  18. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Pipkin to Edmonton must make Jon Jennings wonder if he is done. Brandon Bridge, same boat. Winnipeg should sign one but maybe not.

19. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Walker's agent targeting the Bombers is closer to home imo.

Agents know the easy marks and how to play the game. Not too many gms tossing around the $250,000 contracts like the Bombers do. Slightly different in that there is a new QB (could say unproven) ,but along the same lines as the Adarius Bowman and Chris Matthews disappointments of the last two years.. Signed to big contracts and then they never used them in the offence. Hope for the best and hope history does not repeat perhaps.

Maybe if Darvin Adams wasn't re-signed.