Asst GM John Murphy leaves Calgary

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Just when we thought we were out of the woods and would keep the talented Asst GM John Murphy, he is now leaving for Saskatchewan to join Chris Jones.

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

While clubs don't usually stand in the way of someone seeking a promotion elsewhere, this sounds like a lateral move.

I thought Calgary gave the 'riders permission to talk to Murphy about their GM position.

But Jones was already given the keys to the Wheat Kingdom.

So where does Murphy go?

Something stinks here...

TM

3. BBRT

BBRT Member

just caught it also from a Toronto feed no less. And yes this seems more of a lateral move than anything.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It seems to me the last time someone was poached from Calgary's organization, it involved Jones himself, who left for Toronto in 2012 in a lateral move to join Milanovitch as his DC.

The Argonauts didn't even bother asking Calgary first, so Jones has some experience with this...

TM

5. cunninglinguist

BOO-FRICKING-HOO

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Rules don't seem to matter to Corky Jones - he's now Great Emperor of Lemming Nation.
    With respect to John Murphy I seem to recollect a younger John Murphy jumping ship a few years back to join fellow football geniuses Lyle Bauer, Maggot Kelly & Ross Hodgkinson in Winnipeg. Note of the aforementioned 3 geniuses of the apocalypse none of them are employed in professional football in any capacity. Only Murph the Surf remains!

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I have to say that wasn't very articulate of you, cunninglinguist.

With a handle like yours, must've had your mouth full at the time...;)

TM

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

It may be lateral in terms of potential title, but I'd have to think there was more promise in Calgary of eventually taking over if he so desired. In Regina, Jones is the flavour of the week and a relatively young guy, so why would Murphy value taking a position under a guy like that instead?

Something stinks and it's not just @cunninglinguist :yuck:.

Jayman, Bronko and Tundra Mustang like this.
  9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You know, at the end of the day, so what?

It's not the first time the Stampeders have been raided for talent, and it won't be the last.

That's the price paid by a club that has been a flagship operation in the CFL for the better part of the last decade.

Murphy's gone, and life will go on.

Next man up is not an organizational mantra restricted only to the playing field! ;)

TM

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

troll traffic has picked up around here.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Wonder who the FSRs (aka Ferocious Sewer Rats) plan to poach as their OC?

13. StampsSteve

StampsSteve Member

Murphy's contract was expiring this month. Either Huff didn't try to extend him earlier or Murphy said no to an extension at some point during the last calender year. Huff on the radio a couple of weeks ago said that he was prepared for a Murphy departure.

14. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I'm thinking like Jones, Murphy has one agenda in mind. NFL.
    No different than any player who suits up in the CFL, the aspirations and hope is always revolve around making it to the NFL. Maybe he sees a better opportunity to do just that with Jones rather than Hufnagel.

Good luck to him. Like Stubler I'm dejected to see him move on, but I'm optimistic to see what Mahoney and the rest of the scouting staff will do.
    He deserves plenty of accolades for how he has shaped this roster, but I'm quite hopeful there are enough good football "bird dogs" in the business that Hufnagel will find the right person to keep the team competitive. Change is good and a fresh perspective is always needed.

Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  15. Bronko

Bronko Member

Kyle Walters, Wad Miller & Michochet would like to know where you find some of these 'good football bird dogs' - or else they're too busy rigging their own 50/50 draws! lol

16. BBRT

BBRT Member

It's amazing how you can take a thread that is focused on the departure of a Calgary Assistant GM and turn it into a shot at the Bombers! I will say one thing for your rantings - it is consistent throughout the years regardless of where you post.

Getting back on track with the intent of the thread - Murphy's loss will be felt however the Stamps are a very strong and deep organization and will overcome this.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

Yes, there was a bit of a bomber side-swipe on that one, I'll admit. But it was more tuned to the point about recruitment and all the depth the stamps have in bringing in boatloads of competent players - plug 'n play guys vs. hobos and nobos the bombers seem to bring in. I'd like to know the root of this successful recruiting vs. the bombers bringing in nothing but lame gamers, dropsy WRs, inferior import OLs and of course, those amazing backup QBs (Brohmicide, Marve, Joey Elliott, and other forgetful names). Aren't you interested in the quality differential Bruce?

18. BBRT

BBRT Member

Morris to be honest with you I have little interest in anything you say or post. However it is fun to read your rantings!

19. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

This is a great post on the subject.

Like you, I'm a little torn at some key components moving on, but on the other hand I'm quite excited to see what this fresh young group can bring to the Stamps.

20. Jayman

Jayman Member

Thats it? Thats your first post? You took the time necessary to register in order to be able to put that thought down?

Well i am holding my breath for the second post…...