Barracuda!

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Today in Nashville I met a Birmingham Barracuda fan!

Very cool to get a view from the other side and he was sad to see them fold up shop so quick. He also mentioned how the Barracuda ownership fixed up Legion Field there and left some nice improvements on a field that is still used today (home to the UAB Blazers).

He's still following the CFL a bit and the NBC Sports announcement was a good one for him. Looking forward to talking more football with the guy!

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Rids

Rids Member

If they had video replay he would've been down on the 1

4. Rids

Rids Member

5. Rids

Rids Member

Another beauty of a clip. The pre-season game between Birmingham and Baltimore held in Miami, Florida!

http://youtu.be/LblwG2-wukU

6. Rids

Rids Member

Did you know the Alabama-Auburn match up is called the Iron Bowl because it used to be held in Birmingham which is home to the iron industry in the South. Very cool history there regarding the city and especially the football field.

Legion Field was also home to some of the soccer events for the Atlanta Olympics.

It's currently home for the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazers as well as the Compass Bowl.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't ever recall a game being played in Miami. I haven't seen the clip but are you sure that game was played there?

8. Rids

Rids Member

Yes they played a pre-season game there as a primer for the 1996 Miami Manatees to join the CFL.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, how about that, really...

10. Rids

Rids Member

It would've been the June 24th game that Baltimore won 37-0.

Just a neat tidbit but July 1995 saw 3 CFL games with crowds over 30,000. Two of those games were in Birmingham and the other was in Baltimore. Birmingham's other home game of the month was 25,321.

In Week 7 of that season San Antonio drew a larger crowd than Saskatchewan, Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa with 22,000+ in the AlamoDome.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

As soon as the football season got going in the US, attendance was in free fall. Didn't help that Americans couldn't see any away games on television. The only place where attendance didn't drastically fall off was in Baltimore. But, having said that, attendance had dropped from 38-43,000 to the low 30's by season's end as I recall. The place where the CFL could have taken off was Hornett Field in Sacramento but in those days I think capacity was only 16,000 with temporary bleacher seating br4inging it toa capacity of about 21,000, porta potties & lack of concessions... So, far from an actual pro facility. That hurt attendance.

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

i didn't even follow the cfl at that time

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

14. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

once the alouettes were gone all i remember was the 89 grey cup, doug flutie and baltimore first losing then winning the cup. when the stallions arrived in montreal Tracy Ham was the only name I was familiar with. It wasn't til the expos got knocked out late in the year that I jumped back on the bandwagon.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Losing the Expos was the Als gain. Tell me, how did you handle losing the Expos? Were you sad, angry, didn't care? Do you still follow the NL? I know how I felt when the Jets left Winnipeg in 1996 so I am curious about your reaction.

16. Rids

Rids Member

The American teams were broadcast on ESPN2 which didn't have as large of an audience as it does now but it was available.

The CFL American expansion is one of those times I'd love to go back in time and fix before it got off the ground. It turned into a cash grab and the American teams got zero support for their efforts. Imagine if instead of Las Vegas they had put a team in Portland! Imagine if they had scheduled home games in the summer to avoid the college season with only the rivalry games and playoffs in the fall for the American teams! Imagine if they had adjusted the schedule to start the regular season in June instead of July so only 2 months would conflict instead of 3! Imagine if they had approached the American teams with a ratio proposal rather than just ignoring the situation or at least allowed the American teams to draft at the Canadian College Draft.

Potentially it could've been much better than it was and the CFL lost out on having big time owners like Fred Smith involved in the League. The Canadian expansion aspects following the collapse were also annoying as we could've moved more teams to Canada (not all of them due to lack of facilities) but the Texans, Mad Dogs and Pirates all could've joined the Stallions in coming to Canada. A solid 12 team league!

Hornet Field
    [​IMG]
    I don't know why they only put in those skinny banks of chairs with backs. MTSU has done that here in Tennessee too. I don't get it, why not put chairs in for the whole mid-field area?

17. Rids

Rids Member

Just got word that ESPN Classic Canada is showing the Baltimore @ Birmingham game from July 29, 1995. At the time they were tied at the top of the South Division standings but only one team showed up to play that night in front of 30,729 at Legion Field. Baltimore takes it by a bunch.

18. Rids

Rids Member

19. Rids

Rids Member

1995 commentary:

"In the CFL, where scoring can happen fast, no lead is safe."

Gus Johnson on ESPN2.

20. Rids

Rids Member