BC Lions Rent Contract with BC Place Made Public

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Liske, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Liske

Liske Member

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

The BC Lions themselves are doing well financially. BC Place needs to find other sources of revenue and not gouge their local cfl team which is doing its best.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Wonder what the deal with the Whitecaps looks like and if they are jealous of the Lions.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Lions use the place 10-11 times while the Whitecaps do it 20 times in a year. You can't expect much out of that.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Yes just saying that if the Whitecaps pay more than double what the Lions pay then there may be some issues in the next year.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't see why. MLS should pay more rent than the CFL if it claims to be the top North American League in its sport

7. Rids

Rids Member

Sure the MLS claims to be the tops but their average player salary is lower than the CFL average.

From the article -

I found a message board comment saying that the Whitecaps paid $2 Million in 2008 but the article it linked to was no longer on the newspaper site.

I did find this though. In 2013 MLS had 10 of 19 teams break even or turn a profit. Vancouver Whitecaps had a revenue of $23Million (basically the standard revenue of a CFL club) but has an estimated value of $86 Million somehow. Should make CFL teams worth a lot more than the $20 to 25 Million they currently are. MLS was below the WNBA in TV ratings that year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/11/20/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams/

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Whitecaps were playing at Swangard Stadium in '08. I was at a game there.

Does the average player salary include the designated player? Our own makes 1 million.

9. Rids

Rids Member

Yes the top end guys push the average up but the league minimum is lower than the CFL.

This article from the weeks ahead of the nearly player strike:

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/02/28/columbus-crew-mls-salary-disparity

This one from 2013 where the MLS Players Union published the salary of every MLS player (I'm sure the players loved that).

http://deadspin.com/here-are-the-salaries-of-every-mls-player-493176055

So I stand corrected. The current average salary in the MLS is more than the CFL ($160,000 to $90,000). The CFL minimum is $15,000 more than the MLS minimum for a longer season.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Either way BC place is just underused.