Bisons News

Discussion in 'Calgary Dinos and CIS Talk' started by Rids, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Since it's OurBombers2 over here at times here's some Bisons news:

Coach Makie's blog is worth a read for sure:
    http://thehuddle.co/huddle/coach-makie- ... camp-blog/

I'll review the Bison QBs after they get a couple days in but it seems like Cam Clark will be the early leader. Theo Deezar is the future of the program and will be a keeper. They lucked out after being out recruited by UOttawa and if not for the head coaching change they wouldn't have him.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

LOL! That "other player" the story refers to when Ryan Marshe was with the Winnipeg Rifles was my son Tyler. Both guys had to go their separate ways in order to find success because it was pretty evident that if they had stayed together none of them would have had much of a junior, CIS or college career because of the Rifles OC & HC.
    The way the Rifles handled both qbs wasn't very good when Tyler was there. The OC wouldn't tell the 2 which one was starting until the Saturday night before their games. They'd get equal reps all week yet not know who the starter would be even 24 hrs before game time. So, they'd be in the dark as to who was going to start which upset both of them. Then , if the starter struggled, he would be pulled & the other qb thrown to the wolves.
    There were games when Tyler would go in during the third quarter after Marshe was benched with the Rifles being down 45-0 & actually be expected to pull out a win. And the other way around for Marshe... If my kid struggled & the Rifles were down big, Marshe would go in & be expected to win. It was dumb & highly unfair. After 2 years, Tyler had enough with the head games & politics & asked for his release which he got. Both qbs were talented & pretty even skills wise & the way those 2 were handled by the coaches was atrocious as they were always being thrown under the bus for the troubles with the team.
    Once Tyler left for college after the 2010 season, the Rifles became Marshe's team & he never had to look over his shoulder as there wasn't another qb capable of being a starter. I'll say this, Marshe had an amazing season last year throwing for over 3,000 yards & 30 touchdowns for Winnipeg. Tyler was extremely happy for the guy as he never held any bitter feelings towards Ryan. It was the coaches doing the manipulating. They were just the quarterbacks who had no say in who played & who didn't. They still keep in touch on faceboook. Bottom line, is amazing what a qb can do if the coaches don't play mind games. However, if there was another qb who could have played, you can bet the OC would have handled things the same way with Marshe.
    My best wishes to Ryan Marshe. Hope he gets to be the Bisons starter.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Here it is:

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Heard Tothster interviewing BIson Coach Brian Dubie (ok, i slightly changed his name).....

Don't expect much from the unranked Bisons. For one, Dobie is a hekkuva nice guy but he's a total unmitigated disaster as head coach. Used to be a great recruiter, but very few junior stars or high school monsters want to end up in the Bison quagmire.

Bisons should get squashed in their opener vs. UBC, I'd be surprised if they didn't go either 1-7, 2-6 at best. Another wasted year for Coach Dube.....

Like to see Coach Plop head up this program and right the ship. Paul LaPolice might be a terrific CIS head coach. Whattya think Rids?

6. Rids

Rids Member

Dobie's undoing has been the change in the CIS rules regarding the use of juniors. In part because of the Bisons Vanier Cup winning squad that had a higher average age than the Bombers did that year.

If LaPo takes a CIS job for less than half of what he'll make sitting on his couch thanks to the Bombers then he's in worse shape than I thought. To take a stab at the dollars (ala Bronko) a first year CIS head coach would make somewhere around $70,000 (the rest of the CIS coaches are there for the fame and glory...). It's reported that LaPo will make $230,000 by not taking a job next year. I know what I would do.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

First of all Rids, I'd say you're a tad off in CIS head coaching/program director salaries. I'd say Dobie (20 years at the helm) would be easily in the $110,000 to $120,000 range and Big Towriss in Sask'n wouldn't be far behind. Some newbies and rounders might be around $70k, even Macocia is probably inhaling around $95k (CFL assistant money)

Anyways, publically funded schools salaries should be public knowledge, not hidden like the Bombers & Riders do.

Here's why Plop should take a CIS job. Even if he works for $1 a year he'll still get his Bomber game cheques. So if he took the Bison job at $120,000, he'd be taking that same amount off what the Bombers are obligated to pay him. He could come in as a volunteer with no strings attached (just to keep his skills in play) or take a smaller CIS contract for one or two years (option depending on whether he gets another CFL head coaching offer)

Guy would be great with young players. And he's about 20 years younger than Dobie (although Dobie looks younger). Would add a ton of interest to the BIson program - instead of having only 300 to 500 coming out to games, Plop's presence would draw at least 2,500 to 4,000 for every game.

Just keep in mind. Whatever salary (football related) Paul takes is deducted from his WBB salary. If the Bombers got PLOP for only $230k they got him cheap. I thought he was certainly in the $250 to $270k range, of course this was his first head coaching gig and Wpg was probably the only one offering him the gig, so in this case you might be right about $230k

8. Rids

Rids Member

I got the $230K number from iso.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

$230k is a moot point. Whether its $220 or $250, its the lower end of CFL coaches.

Wonder what Jamie Boreham is up to these days. He'd be a great CFL assistant, perhaps a better CIS coach? Any thoughts on Boreham Rids?