Bobby Heenan Interview

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Bronko, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Most of you might remember Bobby Heenan as a wrestling manager who caddied for Andre the Giant when he fought Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania. In this interview, after Heenan had fought throat cancer The Weasel (affectionate nickname for his in-ring personna, one of the most hated characters in wrestling history) gives some straight talk about his industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKQWGJA9mlY

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Bobby The Brain... he was sure good at what he did. Especially when as a manager he was foced to wrestle. Usually a planned squash & he played that part well. He & Nick Bockwinkel were classic!

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

His Brain Busters were a great tag-team.

and how eerie is this? he was inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame 2006 with a Jack LANZA. One half of the former BlackJacks tagteam.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Compare Bobby in that interview which is probably a decade old to the way he is today & it is sad. From his comments about Jessie Ventura not being a worker to how the wrestling business is finished to his "Walmart to Nieman Marcus" comments in comparing Eric Bischoff to Vince McMahon are all classic Bobby Heenan. I also thought that killing the Goldberg character was a huge mistake as he truly was the next big thing in wrestling. The only good thing Eric Bischoff ever did was the NwO thing & he even screwed that up with all the different factions. I wish Bobby Heenan nothing but the best in 2013.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Bobby about Brett Hart. You can't have control over Vince and what happened in montreal in 97 was pretty much written in the stars and Bret shouldn't be so shocked about it.

at 1:17 when he shakes his head starting from left to right while saying no, he's actually saying yes as per my non-verbal course. unless the image is switched around. a real 'no' would have him starting right to left. that said there has to be a certain tension for it to be accurate.

I also have to agree that the magic is going out of this business. I mean when you see folk with signs saying 'If Cena wins we riot' it pretty much says everything. The only thing still keeping it afloat is the high level of talent and execution in the wrestlers' performances.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What happened to Owen was tragic but think about it. He willingly snapped himself into that harness & was lowered down from the ceiling of the arena in St. Louis much like Sean Micheals was years before at Wrestlemania. Accidents happen. Owen had to know that there was a huge element of risk to be lowered into the ring like that yet he agreed to it.
    Part of the blame has to be on Owen himself along with the WWE for having such bad judgement. As far as stopping the show, it was a live pay per view event. They really had no choice but to carry on. Villifying McMahon & the WWE for not doing so isn't right either.
    To me, Brett also used the December 1997 Montreal screw job to his advantage. It had a lot of legs for a lot of years up until 2 years ago when Brett came on Raw & cleared the air. I always thought Hart was in on the screw job & used it as a way to leave the WWE & make a splash in WCW by advancing his career.
    I watched Brett hart's documentary, "Dancing With Shadows" with the camera crew already there filming the incident & it just didn't seem real. Like it was all planned out & staged. The way the whole thing went down looked phony to me.
    But that's just me. I could be wrong.

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the irony of the whole affair. He's talking about getting screwed out of something that is phony to begin with. makes sense right?

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What's the best way to leave the WWE? As a victim of a conspiracy. To me, it was all planned out.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Separate matter on Owen Hart. Yes, he willingly accepted the harness that eventually released early, killing him when his head collided with the ring post BUT the facts indicated the company Vince hired to do the harness used inferior materials, didn't double or triple check their variables and their men were poorly trained in the stunting profession.

Once Owen had died in the ring (technically they prouncounced it at the hospital) there was no inclination of Vince ot suspend the card. If it had been a McMahon family member like Stefanie, Triple H, Vince, Shane or Linda you could bet your bippy the card would have stopped.

The next day, the McMahons arranged a quick tribute to Owen as they had most of their cattle (performers) surround the ring, if memory serves.

Heenan really nailed it when it came to Jesse Ventura. Had the pleasure of meeting the governor in wpg's golds gym about 27 or 28 yrs ago. Jess was all dolled up with the multi-colored hair and flowery clothes but he certainly wasn't a great in-ring worker. Heenan could see that right away. Said that Jess couldn't take a bump, he was right.

That night I ended up at the old Wpg. arena and the weather forced all kinds of changes and substitutions to the card. Jess got paired up with another muscle-head named Tony Atlas so you'd think they had a fighting chance. NOPE!

Their opponents were the original monsters, Hawk & Animal aka ************, and these guys were working stiffer than anyone in the industry. Jess was smart enough to realize what was going on, he'd never worked with these guys before and despite both Atlas and Ventura having superior physiques and standing a few inches taller than The Road Warriors the Warriors were faster, younger and far stronger. Jess made every attempt to avoid tagging Atlas, even feigning injury/exhaustion in his corner. Whenever Atlas got close to the corner Jess jumped down from the ring apron to avoid an "Accidental Tag". The Warriors really wanted to beat up Jess a bit but took their time beating the bejeebers out of Tony Atlas, finally having mercy on Big Tony and easily squashing the muscle-man after about 10 minutes of playing around. Even after the match, Jess was wary about the Warriors and made sure they cleared the ring before he went back to the dressing room. So, yeah, I can confirm Jess was a legit ring coward. A couple years later Jesse developed a bad lung disease and no longer had the stamina or ability to stay in the ring longer than a couple minutes. He then became one of the greatest announcers in wrestling history, right up there with Gorilla Monsoon, Rodger Kent, Lord Lyle Hayes, Vince McMahon, Heenan.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I'd be hesitant to call Jessie a coward. He was, after all a Navy Seal. Cowardice would get them & their mates killed in bad situations. Ventura was just a bad worker. Adrian Adonis was the guy that carried the East-West Connection. He was a talented wrestler but his problem was that he was obese so he couldn't do a lot of things in the ring the way he did them when he was younger. They had to rely more on Jessie's in ring skills which weren't much when his career as a wrestler ended.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Yeah, like Heenan said, Jess was great with the interviews, the threats, generating pre-fight heat, etc. but it died when he entered the ring and refused to work. He may have been a brave navy seal (real name James Jarmusch) but he was rarely brave in the ring. But he was funny, left a great legacy of interviews and in-ring preening. He probably had a better movie career than Hulk Hogan, too. Hogan was only good at playing himself. Jesse, while a bit stiff in front of a big budget film camera had more range.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jessie made a name for himself being Gorilla Monsoon's right hand man. personally, I thought Bobby heenan brought more to the table as an announcer than Jessie ever did. Heenan would have been great working with Jerry Lawler. Speaking of announcers, it looks like Michael Cole's been scared straight by Lawler's heart attack. No more kayfabe.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Heenan and Lawler would have been a trainwreck. Two guys with quips talking at the same time, audience hearing neither.

You're probably right about Cole being scared straight by Lawler's heart attack. But if you think Cole controls anything about his job, you're mistaken. If Vince wants Cole to go back to being Evil Michael the only option Michael has would be to quit. Ventura & Heenan could no longer work for McMahon - neither man can take bumps and McMahon likes his entire staff to be able to take bumps like the boss can. (McMahon is 68 or 69 but takes the odd bump, Heenan is a fragile 72 or 73 and The Body is a broken down 64 or 65.

McMahon would be a fool letting Lawler take more bumps (in the next year or so) so that means Michael Cole has to return to being a bumpmeister.

15. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Tony Atlas..., that takes me back.

To me wrestling has become like figure skating, you have to perform a routine but you still have to perform it. What Taker and the Game did last wrestlemania was the equivalent of a gold medal performance. the better you perform, the more you make people believe and the more you suffer for it the better it is. People still follow even though they know it's fixed because they still get something out of it and it's still great value for your buck unlike a 150 dollar ticket to watch an NHL dud game.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Over the years, Lawler has morphed into the straight guy from the days he started commentary & was a bad guy 15 years ago. Remember the insults he used to hurl at the Hart family, especially Helen?? It was to the point of being embarassingly bad & in extremely bad taste. So, I think he & Heenan could have co-existed together as Bobby would no doubt be the guy insulting all the humanoids out there & Lawler the straight guy.
    As fas as Jerry ever getting back in the ring, I highly doubt it. That's all McMahon needs is a lawsuit hanging over his head that he killed one of his employees (again).
    I can only hope Michael Cole stays the way he is now as I don't think the evil Cole worked as a character. Notice how he doesn't do Smackdown anymore? It's the inexperienced but rapidly improving Josh Matthews on the mic with JBL. I wonder why?
    BTW, glad McMahon got Booke off commentary as he was indistinguishable at times. His voice just blended in with all the background crowd noise & he couldn't be understood. All you heard were grunts from Booker.
    I like what JBL brings to the table. Right now, JBL's carrying Matthews while he finds his feet as the new Smackdown announcer which is okay because as I said, the kid is actually getting better by the week.
    Booker & Matthews on Smackdown long term would have been a disaster. The bad thing about Booker as Smackdown GM is that the WWE isn't using Teddy Long the way he should be used. He was great as SD GM. Booker is meh....

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

I remember when Booker and Nash did some commentary together and they were magic. Way too much kayfabe yap but it was priceless as they went about burying every wrestler on the card. Teddy's facials are priceless but his yap is pretty one-dimensional. Booker is a bigger star and connects to wrestling fans cuz he served time as a playah in the ring - 5 time champ, right?

And it was nearly genius how McMahon reached back and brought JBL (who can still take the odd bump if need be) from the time tunnel to shepard Josh thru the tricks of the trade.

Cole and Lawler will eventually run lukewarm as face announcers - and since Lawler is immune from bumps (for now) is Cole who will have to take the odd bump. What they're doing now is bringing in guest heels to ramp up the heat. Guys like Dolph Ziggler who will be carrying the company for the next 4 or 5 years as John Cena slips more into a part-time superstar role. WWE has a healthy supply of part-time superstars who can be called into the breach when need be - Undertaker, Michaels, B. Hart, HHH, Foley, Vince, Jimmy Snuka, even the Rock likes to do 1 match a year with a week or two of promos to keep his chops in the game.

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

My favourite Quebec performers over the years were Yvon Robert, Eduard Carpentier, Gille 'The Fish' Poisson and Eddie Creachman. I'm sure there's more but those were the main guys who leaked into my western consciousness. OK, the two guys who played evil mounties were pretty decent!!! Always good for a laugh and a loss!

19. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

The Rougeaus were my favorite team because they'd use a plethora of moves and were very entertaining to watch. One night they won the tag-team titles over the Hart Foundation in Montreal but were stripped the next day. Still not clear on the reason but I was pissed.

Jacques now organizes family-friendly wrestling shows which are actually a reflection of the old WWF which shows how far it's come.

Back then you had the Saturday morning events that pitted an unknown wrestler to a star and you'd have to wait til wrestle mania to see stars take on one another. I enjoyed staying up late watching Saturday Night's Main Event to see some prime matchups.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Everything Cena & Punk have said (in the angle) about the Rock is true. The guy comes & goes as he pleases. He no longer cares about the fans anymore. WM has become a quick pay day for him. I'd rather he not grace us with his presence anymore because it has become a joke. As has Undertaker's so called unbeaten streak which I think is irrelevant just because he wrestles once a year now like Triple H. At least I know Triple H & Undertaker have sacrificed their bodies for the business. Rock used his popularity to cash in on Hollywood. It would have been better he stay solely as an actor instead of coming back when he pleases to make a few bucks.