Bombers appear to be fooling themselves

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Yep, great 7 or 8 thou show up at 1st day training camp but attendance doesn't have much to do about eventual outcome.

Heard Obby Khan on the 92 Citi FM sports show (3rd radio outlet doing a sports talk segment in addition to CJOB & TSN1290) and Obby Khan was on with Winnipeg Sun writers Ken Wiebe, Jr., Captain Kirk Penton and Cyrus (former WWE entertainer trained by Stu Hart and sports pundit)

Khan, who was always a perpetual optimist when anchoring the centre of our o-o line has suddenly turned into a doom & gloomer, stating that the absence of the Magnificent 7 (OK, its only 6) will be the bombers undoing. (For the uneducated thats a bomber team with NO GREG CARR, DOUG BROWN, KHAN, BRENDAN LABATTE, DONNY OMG, SAMOA JOE - ok, I guess we can go to 7 if we throw up Odell Willis.

From my perspective the guy we'll miss the least is the recently knighted Sir Douglas Brown. Brown was a fading/plodding giant last year who was more ball-spotter than rugged DT. Teams seldom needed to double big doug and his sack, knockdown and hurry totals were all-time lows. After that, Donny O will be missed slightly but more as a durable backup canuck DT. Khan was the league's 8th rated centre - but he'll be missed for his on-field cheerleading, good in the room, knows the plays and despite a ravaged/weaker body he still put up stiff resistance as a pass-blocker, was fairly deporable as a run-blocker, usually being picked up by Brendan Labatte who would have been a natural successor to Khan until Brendan Taman lured him to the Green Lair.

Labatte and Greg Carr will be missed most in Staggerville, where a herd of undisciplined raw giants compete for interior o-line spots. (Swiston, Pencer, etc.) Bummers will also miss Samoa Joe Lobendahn but need to create another canuck starting spot and vola its Henoc Mumboa vs. Pierre Marc Labbe for the MLB slot.

Also noted at opening day were the continuing struggles of Mike "Pooch-Power" Renaud as bomber punter.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

With the changes in the East, I think sitting on their laurels will really be a problem for the Bombers. Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see them improving.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

You're right Al. But I think they'll still provide a stern test for most comers and only get blown out of the park on rare occasions. (perhaps 2 or 3 times)
    The Bombers will finish anywhere from 5-13 to 8-10.....

and it looks like there's more stadium controversy today as the chief construction boy said its gonna be hard to meet the late September date for the new facility!

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Man, it is what it is... What else can you say?

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Even the bomber shills & house-boys (like Bob Irving) are saying the Bombers have handled their new stadium rather poorly....!!!

To say the least!

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Not impressed with Butchko. If he put as much time being clued in as he is doing up his hair everyday, the Bombers would be much better off. Time to tell the fans they'll be in the stadium in 2013.