Breaking News: Dale Hunter Steps Down As Capitals Head Coach

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by iso_55, May 14, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

3 Top Mice to replace Hunter

1. Johnny Wilson
    2. Marc Crawford
    3. Brent Sutter (aka The Dynamite Kid)

other interviews granted to Scott Arniel, Jacques Lemaire, Keith McCambridge.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Hunter may never coach in the NHL again. I wonder how coaching Ovechkin affected his decision?

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'm sure everyone in the Caps organization, Hunter especially, knew that his style wouldn't work long term as long as Ovechkin was there. And lets face it, Ovy's not likely to be moved anytime in the next 10 years. Hopefully he learned a few lessons while playing under Hunter though. It's about the team, not the individual stats. Oh and rock stars don't make superstar hockey players. He needs to lose the rock star persona/lifestyle and rededicate himself to working on his game if he ever wants to return to prior heights.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

In today's NHL, 50 goal scorers are the new 30 goal scorers. I think Stamkos was the only abberation hitting 60. But next year he may come back down to Earth & get 40. Ovy may never see 45 goals again. Same with Crosby.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Balanced teams are the key to making playoff noise. That, and great goal-tending.

Stamkos (buried in Tampa) potted 60 goals but Tampa Bay failed to make playoffs, also had bad to mediocre goal-tending most of the season.

Crosby may not pot 50 goals again but only cuz he's never gonna play a full 82 game season (I suspect most of Crosby's future seasons will consist of 50 to 70 game seasons)

Ovechkin's bag of tricks are now well-scouted in the NHL, he'll be lucky to break 40.

Giroux could pump it up to between 40 and 50.

Same with Nugent-Hopkins in a couple years.

If Pittsburgh is smart they'll trade Malkin out for some better depth, a top quality d-man. Possibly they'll package Malkin & Five-Hole Fleury for depth and an upgrade in goal.....

7. Christoph

Christoph Member

I don't know, if the NHL doesn't curtail this slide into a new dead puck era I will lose interest in a big way. The fact that the St. Louis blue set records for defensive prowess is proof of just how far the NHL has backslid. It's also proof of just how incredible a talent Stamkos is. But with how strong the goaltending is becoming, if the NHL allows things to return to how they were, we could see new lows in goal scoring totals across the league.

Is it perhaps time to actually more proactively incorporate ideas brewing in the competition committee? I'd say it's time for bigger nets given the fact that goalies cover far more area than they did even 15 years ago.

Now all skaters are so strong that room for puck carriers to skate is rapidly eaten up. While I don't like the wide is in the offensive zone, I wonder if it isn't needed between the blue lines to create more room for counterattacking. I think we can have the best of both worlds if we break through barriers of tradition. The rink doesn't have to be completely rectangular with rounded corners. Why not have it bulge outwards in the middle to create more room for breakouts through the neutral zone. That way you don't lose the greater number of offensive chances created by the smaller rink in the offensive zone, where the puck is always closer to the net than on the big ice.

Also, why not create more 4-on-4 situations? So often they choose only one guy from a crowd or call nothing at all. If there is a scrum, don't shy away from calling things. Send a bunch of guys off and create more 4-on-4 and even 3-on-3 scenarios.

Obviously, actually calling penalties in all situations would be a good start, regardless of how much time is on the clock.

Another thing I've always wondered is why not allow pick plays so long as guys aren't being hammered unaware. I'm just talking about legalizing stepping stepping in the way and making a defender go around him. It would be a way of creating open ice for the puck carrier on cycles in the offensive zone. It's allowed in a lot of European leagues.

Do any of you have other thoughts or ideas?

p.s. I apologize if any of this post is a little sloppily written. I'm having to throw together posts as quickly as possible the past few days.

8. Rids

Rids Member

My #1 change would be to remove the kevlar coated equipment for all skaters. (especially shoulder pads, elbow pads) They can protect players without having them designed to stop bullets.

After that I would restrict the size of the shin guards. Seeing the Rangers block 26 shots last night it's like they have 6 goalies once the other team sets up in the offensive zone. In the old days Craig Ludwig's shin guards were wider than the allowed size of the goalie pads.

After that I would go back to the 1984 NHL rule book, drop the 4th official that kills the flow of the game.

Finally I would limit teams to 2 coaches on the bench during a game. Truthfully what has killed the game during the game is the coaching, coaches are better than ever and games have almost become practices with how much they can adjust from shift to shift. Only thing missing is the coach whistle.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Totally agree. 2 coaches on a 19 man roster is enough. The position coaches can go upstairs and booth themselves, with walkie talkies into the bench. (Wear a headset, McDuff)

Also like the idea of going with 1 less donut-eater (official) on the ice. These guys are 200 to 230 lbs. of space-eaters. Always getting in the way.

Put a couple officials on the blue-line (but 10 rows up) to call offsides and icings. Or to call penalties that accrue behind the play.

10. Rids

Rids Member

1 rule I'd like to see called properly again is the 3rd man in game misconduct. Too often these guys are jumping in creating a 2 on 1 scrum and then no penalties called at all.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

NHL penalties, especially in playoffs tend to be situational....

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

GREAT point about the equipment. I've grown so tired of arguing in favor of changes that I've kind of forgotten about it. It's more like weaponry than protection.

I'd also point out that goalie equipment is far far bigger than it needs to be and used to be 20 years ago. They tightened up ever so slightly following the lockout, but it's still far bigger than it needs to be for protection purposes. Superb goaltending is fun to watch. Big guys with average athelticism and giant equipment who just drop into a pose to block the net aren't. Thank goodness guys like Lundquist, Smith, Rinne, Quick don't play like that, but there's still far to many of them. Shrink the equipment and it'll not only increase scoring, but emphasize the difference between the great goalies and the so-so ones. Better yet, blocking style goalies will be gone so we'll be left with more scoring and more exciting goaltending. How is it that the NHL can't even make a simple change like that?
    [hr]
    Sure if by situational you mean they are never called in crunch time. :p

You know the problem with letting most things go the way they do in the playoffs is that it makes it seem (probably because it is) very arbitrary when they do call them. Why was this called when that wasn't? Why did that team get called on that when the other team didn't on the exact same play?

You know, if you want to let the players decide the games, then stop being arbitrary and call the rulebook. Swallowing your whistles other than to call random penalties arbitrarily, rather than objectively by the book, does more to take the game out of the players hands (especially the more talented players and teams) than anything.

If you want the best teams to move on so that the playoffs get better as they go along, not worse as they have been this year, then don't muddy the waters by leaving everyone to trudge through the sludge of obstruction hockey. There's not going to much to choose between any two teams regardlesss of talent level when neither is allowed to skate or showcase that talent. Everyone is going to be on about the same level, too often reliant on fluky bounces in hopes of getting through the wall of bodies and the wall of goaltending equipment.

13. Rids

Rids Member

The NHL is really a lot like the CFL/NFL. They play by different rules during the regular season as they do in the playoffs.

14. Christoph

Christoph Member

Yeah but the difference is that it's much harder to swallow those big flags than one of those little whistles... ;)

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

The IIHF followed some rules today and it cost Canada a shot at a medal.

Of course, what cost the canadian more was the low hockey IQs of Mssrs. Eblunder Kane, Ryan Pungent-Hopkins and Ryan Getzlaff....plus Sutter show-casing his abysmal coaching skills for Edmonton!