Brenda Taman on Hussler/Lawless radio

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Brenda was on with Lawless Monday afternoon and Lawman was asking him about the Rider woes, panic setting in, possible trades, etc.

As per the form chart, Brenda was rather humdrum and droll about the riders 4 game losing skid - saying that most CFL teams have periods where they are ineffectual and weak (whether its from injuries, inexperience, poor execution, forced efforts, etc.)

Real great comment on the CFL, isn't it?

Basically Taman is stating that most CFL teams turn in a flock of 'DOG GAMES" during the year - some of them turn in a handful (4 or 5) while others choke it down in most of their games.

Doesn't exactly invoke confidence in the product.

Basically, what Taman had the guts to say (Huffer or Lapo won't) is that all you have to do is keep your team viable (near .500) with 3 games left in season (if you win all three then you probably get a home game, if you win two you probably make playoffs, and if you win one or zero, its pretty much lights out at the ballpark)

If thats how they do it FINE....

But does Joe Phan have a choice by mailing in his $55 - you get charged full bore whether the game dogs or not. Just the way it is!

Perhaps thats why attendance is slipping badly in Calgary, sellouts are no longer guaranteed in Winnipeg, Toronto is treading water and Montreal is showing obvious slippage despite still having a decent squad. O, Edmonton is slipping, too.

Regina is still killing it despite a typical CFL dog team. BC is showing significant fan upwards support and rewarding them with decent play. Hamilton is steady as she goes, wait til next year when they play in a college stadium.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

there is parity in the cfl right now like i don't ever remember seeing. dog games or not few teams have won on the road this year and most games are exciting nailbiters until the end. i remember the 97 argos just demolishing most every team they met. It just got to be boring in the end. I'm sure the lions will not destroy the bombers so easily this friday

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jeff Reinbold is a guest on winnipeg's CJOB tonight.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The one thing that affects this league the most with the basically frozen salary cap is the quality of young qbs who come into this league & eventually stay. I don't see a lot of young Tom Clement, Anthony Calvillo Dieter Brock, Ricky Ray & Matt Dunigan types playing in the CFL anymore. The starting qb position used to be dominant in this league with great young players. Now, we have NFL retreads or guys with skill sets not suited to the CFL. Doesn't bode well for the future once AC, Ray & Hank retire. Other than Travis Lulay & MAYBE Drew Tate, please tell me the names of any great up & coming young CFL qbs. There's really no one to get excited about & that hurts attendance.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Rabbi Trestman must have removed the embargo on his assistants talking to the media. You can thank Bob Irving of CJOB for that; he's been lobbying since Day 1 to get Reinbold back on Winnipeg air.

I'll have to listen to it on CJOB archives.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Eli's COMING!!! Joey Eliott that is!!!

Other than that you're correct. NFL has 31 teams and they all dress 3 QB plus most of them have 1 or 2 guys moping around town on taxi squads or injury reserve lists. Assuming 4.5 per team thats around 150 QBs who aren't up in Canada.

I truly believe at least 50 to 60 of those guys couldn't hack it in the CFL (skillset, etc) but we certainly don't get much quality to chose from.

Lots of people in Wpg are asking why Alice Brink never made NFL. However, when you look at Brink his decision=making and progressions are way too slow for even the worst NFL squads. He'll be a legit back-up or thirdy for the balance of his CFL career.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There really aren't any young qbs to get excited about. No one busting to be a starter. You get veteran guys satisfied to be nothing but backups.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't know about that one.

Bo Levi Mitchell, who's now the second-stringer with the Stampeders, looks like he has a lot of potential.

There may be plenty of others on other rosters who just need an opportunity to show what they can do in game conditions.

The current class of other back-ups across the league may not generate much excitement, but who's to say there aren't some real diamonds in the rough behind them who are now awaiting their turn to be elevated into second spot?

Just like Bo Levi.

TM

9. Rids

Rids Member

Mike Reilly has a lot of potential to follow the same path that Lulay took. Drew Willy could be the best QB in Saskatchewan right now. Trevor Harris has a bright future too. Quinton Porter is still a mainstay that wouldn't look out of place as the starting QB for the Ottawa Beavers. Matt Nichols may even be a keeper if given a shot.

Trouble for the back ups is that the starters are pretty young themselves. Lulay and Tate should have a lot of years ahead of them which limits the chances for a few of these guys.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I'm not talking about the guys sitting & not getting playing time so we have no idea if they can play or not. Mitchell may turn pout great or he may not. No way of knowing. I'm talking about the Dieter Brock, Dave Dickenson type of players. Guys you just KNEW would be great if they played because we saw enough of them in bits & pieces to make that assessment. I really see no one now.