Bronko's CFL Draft Eligible Revision (New)

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

With all the panic about who's gonna jump ship and bolt to the NFL and thus make a high draft pick useless I'd like to propose a revision:

Something like any canadian player who's drafted in the first two rounds by a CFL team must report to that team and sign a minimum 1 + 1 contract. Helps us with high-level canadian talent, protects canadians from being training camp fodder in NFL and builds on existing strong relationship with NFL.

One caveat. If an NFL team picks a canadian prospect (doesn't matter if the kid is playing NCAA or CIS) IN THE FIRST ROUND, then and only then would the rule be scurried. (ie. the player could report to either his NFL or CFL drafter, not bound to either, rights remain for the period of his first contract)

The only thing that changes is the CFL team doesn't have to panic unless they're certain the NFL is going to pick their guy in the first round.

Like to hear what Rids and the rest of the guys who follow drafts and draft regulations think of this . . .

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

I don't think you can force a player to report to a team.

The CFL needs to go one of three ways. Either go with a set of rules based on birth year (NHL rule), based on eligibility from their organization (NCAA 4 years, CJFL 5 years, or CIS 7 years) or based on declaration for the draft (NFL model).

3. Rids

Rids Member

What could solve the issue regarding players that may or may not head to the NFL would be to allocate Compensatory picks like the NFL does. They give picks to teams for losing free agents in an interesting system of +/- based on players they lost compared to players gained. These picks are tagged onto the end of the round starting in the 3rd. I think you could create a similar scenario for the CFL even including losing import players to the NFL.