Burke to be named Bomber Coach

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

The interim tag is about to be removed from the Tim Burke doll.

Sources within the team (board members) have told Gary Lawless of the Wpg Free Press/TSN 1290 that Burke will be given a 2 or 3 yr guaranteed contract either before the regular season ends or shortly after the bombers are officially eliminated.

From my point of view this signals a surrender strategy by Garth Buchko (Bomber CEO, evidently Burke's champion)

Joe Mack probably stays under this scenario but board members have stepped up the pressure to hire a stay-at-home asst. GM like Duane Forde to have control over canadian talent, signings, local events, etc.

Have to hire at least 2 or 3 fresh assistants as bombers are running with 2 to 4 coaches less than most CFL teams.

Burke has done a decent job of picking up the pieces from the disaster known as SSS Plop.

But he's only marginally better than Plop for on-field real time recognition.

His defenses have been floundering since he took on the interim head coaching tag.

And while Burke has a fascination about Buck Pierce's talent - Burke has also drawn heel boos for his terrible reliance on a fragile QB who has barely played in 50% of his team's games since being discarded by Sir Wally. Burke also yapped way too much, exposing a laughingly bizarre void in medical knowledge re: concussions.

But there you have it. Timbo Burke - Bomber Head Coach....

Now Joe Mack, find us a few good men for the field (about 20 as I see it).... and trade Lady Etienne back to the Lingerie Football League!!

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Guess Tim impressed management with his two road wins as opposed to plop's zero.

I like the move.

3. DCM

DCM Member

See about that..

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A year from now Mack will be done. Whoever is his "assistant" will take over... And the Bombers will be on the hook again for another head coach. Just the way this thing is being done smells. Stinks... A bass ackward way of doing things... You let the GM hire his man. You don't hire the head coach & then a GM after... Whatever... Twenty three seasons & counting... in an 8 team league.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

The bomber org. is way in over its heads. Bass ackwards is a polite term for what this group of mopes, jock-sniffers, ne'r do wells and jaycee wannabees have done.

Get all jacked up cuz Burke wins one game in impressive fashion?

Forgot about all the f'n brain fartz this guy produced after taking the whip from Plop?

Let Joe Mack keep finding under-sized and undisciplined defensive linemen and d-backs? (his specialty)

Given the state of affairs over at Marooned Rd. the next thing you know, Buck Pierce will have his own EMT truck.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Under Mack, I just don't see this team improving. Especially if Mack ignores FA again this off season.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Mack is actually being pro-active about free agents. He knows very few guys want to come to winnipeg, given Mack's reputation, the rep of guys like Buchko, Hodgkinson & Jeff Bannon. So he opts to not pursue any FAs, saying that he'd have to overpay for guys who aren't gonna make a difference. Kinda self-defeating, I'd say!

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Guaranteed 3 yr contract. Great. The reason we don't have more coaches on staff is because we are too busy paying another staff of coaches already fired.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

The Bombers really should re-evaluate their executive compensation plan for GMs, presidents and head coaches.

Give these men a straight base salary (say $100,000) and everything else is incentive-laden (mostly to wins, playoff appearances, gate, promotional revenue, merchandise sales, playoff wins, Grey Cup wins)

The idea this team can actually pay back the government loan for the new facility is a myth.

And I'd make every fresh executive bomber contract 1 year with an option until the financial mire is untangled. If I went 2 yrs plus option I'd take out the guaranteed aspect and replace it with 3 or 4 months compensation.