Calgary bylaw wants dog bite fine increased to $10,000

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

And who nominated Bill Bruce, an out of shape, wannabe cop, king of Calgary bylaw?

$10,000 for a single dog bite? If that's such a good idea, why stop there? Why not make it $15,000, or $25,000?

Maybe we should make it $100,000???? :-/

Here we go creating legislation "for the children", again.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Ten grand is hugely excessive. I mean, if its a minor bite the owner goes to jail because he/she can't pay? That is ridiculous. If it is a major attack like multiple bites or severe injuries then maybe... I could see it if a dog owner has had problems in the past & is prohibited from owning another dog & ignores it. Then fine hisor her ass. But really, this is crazy for the majority of dog owners. Once again, goverenments & politicians think throwing money at a problem will somehow change things. It won't.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Thats the maximum fine and I suspect it wouldn't be imposed for minor 'mailman soirees', etc. especially when the mailman is spraying the crap out of the dog with mace, etc.
    But for serious offenses when a child suffers major bleeding or the chance of rabies, or when the owner sicks the dog on an unsuspecting person (no fine for break 'n enter folks, btw, thats partly what dogs are for).
    $1,500 is a solid start which Calgary has in place. If this was Wpg. I'd have no problem stepping up the maximum to $5,000. Make dog-owners think about how much they want their dogs mixing with the population. I could be wrong but I think the maxi-fine in Wpg is no more than $200

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Irresponsible dog owners should be fined heavily. But if a dog gets excited & nips someone as they may have got a little too close then I don't think they should be fined heavily. Discretion by the by law cops, I guess.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just gives the local Judge Judy a bit more flexibility in the range of sentences. A judge could even assess a fine or sentence at those folks who taunt dogs and cause the dog to go berserk.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Every dog that bites gets put down here if it is a serious offense. Is that the same in Winnipeg?

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Not quite. If a dog bites a child or attacks an adult with unrestricted force, the dog is apprehended and then a quick hearing determines whether its destroyed or impounded.

Case by case basis.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, did you hear about my new idea for a tv series? All dogs that were jailed & put down for attacking, biting & mauling suddenly disappeared mysteriously but the government didn't let that information become public. Now, one by one these dogs are reappearing years later & attacking innocent people again. There is a crack team of special investigators trying to bring these ghost dogs to justice. They are led by a former ill tempered by law officer, who also served with Sean Connery as his First Officer on a Russian Submarine who dreamed of living in Montana as well as an obese professor who actually gained a hundred pounds while being LOST on a desert island for a decade. That feat alone should have been worth his own Ripley's Believe It Or Not tv show. Fat Boy reads comic books & dreams at night about cooking every dog they capture on his BBQ. He even has a case of JR Special Sauce for these occasions. It is a can't miss series... Glad no one ever thought of it before. ;)

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Most people don't remember their nightmares in such detail...:D

TM

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Kevin Smith flick for sure!!! ha

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

There's a reason why Lost ended after a decade. The fat guy ate everybody.