Calgary continues to Struggle

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Bumpnrun, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

The Stamps at the half are not looking like a team that is championship caliber right now. Another first half of struggles for the offense. Well let us see if the Stamps can make the right adjustments at the half. I just think that like the Ti-cats the Stamps are facing an enormous uphill battle without their top receivers not in the lineup. Who will step up in the second half and be the game breaker/changer like Posey was last night in BC.

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Pathetic.

Vomitus.

No other words come to mind.

Well maybe...putrid.

That is all.

TM

3. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

No hosting the WF this year.
    At this point I cannot see this team winning another game this year.
    Defense cannot stop the run and the Stamps run game non existent.
    Hey the Riders deserved the win. They made more plays when needed and the Stamps just aren’t getting done.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Trying to plan a 20th anniversary holiday in the tropics for my wife and me in late November.

Up until now I've been torn as to whether to schedule something to ensure I see either the Western Final or the Grey Cup (because of where the anniversary date falls, I'm gonna miss at least one of 'em...). ;)

Based upon how the last month or so has played out for the Stampeders, maybe I'll just take a pass on both of 'em! :rolleyes:

Already feeling like another wasted season.

TM

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

You know Tundra, I was very skeptical about this team making it to another Grey Cup. Both BC and WIN are peaking and Calgary is stumbling.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Gotta agree, Bumpn.

Looks to me like the "next man up" mantra has at last run its course.

I expect they'll still finish first (since a club shut out "31-zip" at home during the playoff stretch really has no business even being in the running, and in none of Calgary's losses this season, all of which have been close, have they ever face-planted anything like that).

But whether they finish first or not, it looks like the injuries to their starters have finally caught up to them and have taken their toll.

To all appearances, the Stampeders are now a spent force.

And I'm not happy at all to have reached that conclusion.

Fifty three seasons of loyalty as a fan of this team makes that a very hard admission to make.

TM

7. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

You know Tundra I think last years Grey Cup loss was a major face plant. Unlike the past few seasons where this team struggled down the stretch and still had injuries I believed that they would make it to the Grey Cup. Basically what I see right now is both defensively and offensively they can neither stop the run or gain good first down yardage via the run. Next week against a rested Bluebomber Squad I think they will struggle once again. I just don’t think the offensive line is all that good and the defense is worn down due to the fact that they have basically carried this club for the most part over the past few seasons.

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I for one would focus on the anniversary. Last night’s game was a statement game and the Stamps failed. I guess over the past 10 years with Hufnagel coaching or as GM we as fans have been treated to some great football. Eventually all that success has to come to end. Right now I see the other 3 teams in the West out coaching and out competiting the Stamps. Come Friday in the peg we will see what kind of mental fortitude and focus this team has because BLM, Singleton, DD and Claybrooks are now in the fight and let us see if they can overcome some adversity. If they don’t win next week in the peg then you can very well kiss this season goodbye.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

There's no question about that.

And, if you want to be really judgmental about it, probably also the year before that against the RedBlacks.

However, if the stink of this regime's previous years of failures is what you want attach to this year's squad, maybe include their face-plant at home in the 2015 Western Final against the detested Eskimos?

Or in the 2013 Western Final versus the 'riders, or their 2012 effort in the Cup where they lost to the Argonauts.

Or their playoff efforts in 2011, 2010, or 2009.

But my comment about "face-planting" was limited to this season.

If you want to engage in a litany of the pratfalls and 'plants against inferior opponents that I've witnessed from this ball club over the past half century, I could recite a near endless stream of them for you.

A veritable encyclopedia's worth of them

The Calgary Stampeders have broken my heart more times than all of the women I've ever known during my life.

But every year I come back.

Because each new season carries with it the promise of 'the chance at the dance'.

In each new season, an opportunity for redemption.

And in most years, it's a lost one.

This year is no different.

Will it end on a better note than it has for this team and its fans in recent years?

Well, at the moment, there are obvious signs which have emerged as this season has worn on that it will not.

And if I had to wager money on it, I think I know where I would place my bet, because I have history backing it.

But, as much as I would not want to admit it (and, as most of the women in my life would tell you), I've been wrong before. ;)

I truly hope this is one of them.

We'll know for sure in four or five weeks or so.

And although I may not be in Canada for one of those weeks to witness it at first hand for myself, hey, just maybe the Stampeders could find it in themselves to surprise me...

But this time, how 'bout in a good way? ;)

TM

Madman and Bumpnrun like this.
  10. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Touché. This team has broken my heart many times as well.
    Like yourself as a diehard fan of the Stamps I just come back each season hoping for a better ending.
    Maybe they might surprise us with endings like in 2008 and 2001.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

We can only hope.

And I guess for that very reason it's a good thing that 'hope springs eternal'...;)

TM

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

if Calgary lets Winnipeg win Friday then Edmonton is forever eliminated from a grey cup they are hosting and will forever live in shame and they can still clinch first with a ssk loss or a win in bc

might be a good time to rest up some folk on such a short week against a team coming off a bye and playing at home.

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Okay, deuv, that's just playin' with fire and you damn well know it! :p

I had thought about what a 'laydown' against Winnipeg would do myself, and while the consequences are tantalizing....nah!

There's plenty of other ways a 3rd place seed or a Crossover team can get derailed on the way to a Grey Cup it's hosting.

Let some other club be consigned to do the 'dirty work' here for the rest of the league, without potentially putting the Stampeders' first place aspirations on the line! :D

Maybe a team like the Bombers themselves in a 'must win' game at Commonwealth a couple of weeks from now... ;)

TM

14. Addicted

Addicted Member

Things are not looking as good as we have come use to, but I don't think all is lost yet at this point.....after all this is the CFL and all we have to do it string together three wins to hoist the cup. If we gained nothing else from the last two Grey Cups, we should have at least learned that the strongest team doesn't always prevail in a 1 game contest.

BC should be resting most of the starting staff, so we should see Calgary win this one and secure the bye. With that in our favour it gives us another week to work on the offensive plays and get the new receivers on the same page as Bo. I have actually been happy with the progress of the offense and I believe they are starting to gell, and given a little more time, will look good enough to get it done. Never count out a team with an elite QB such as we have!

The defence on the other hand has been porous at best and needs to tighten up immensely. I'm not sure how we went from the top defence in the league to what we are seeing on the field now. If Claybrooks can right the ship there, I think we may be fine!

We just lost to the Bombers, but didn't play that bad against a team that is likely the hottest in the CFL right now. If Collaros misses any significant time in Sask due to yet another head injury, we may be in good shape.

Let's get out there and beat the Lions, secure 1st, and raise the cup!!!

strujas and Tundra Mustang like this.
  15. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the spirit, Addicted!

Until all hope is lost, let's at least keep a candle burnin' in the window...;)

They might yet pull it off.

But my difficulty with this somewhat unconventional approach is that the Stampeders, who are seemingly perennial contenders, went from front-runners, then faded down the stretch to also-rans, and now need to be world beaters over the next 3 games or so.

Can it be done?

Well, the 1971 Calgary Stampeders, who I saw win their first CFL Championship of the modern era, say it can.

They had a very competitive year, then cooled right off, got hot again just as the playoffs got underway, and in the Grey Cup outlasted the Argos with Joe Theisman and Leon McQuay arrayed against them on the rain-slicked turf at Empire Stadium to win the title.

Will they do it?

Well, the vast assemblage of history in this storied old league, both before and after that remarkable year, suggests that it's unlikely.

But, hey, I'd love to be wrong about that.

So prove me wrong, Stampeders! ;)

Go out and win the next game, then the next one, and the one after that!

Given what history says should happen, I'll take that ending in any year! :D

TM

Addicted likes this.