Calgary Flames Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by iso_55, Jan 27, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Okay Flames fans... This is the thread to talk Calgary Flames. Flames fans here please feel free to go at it.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

wooot. they won a game. against edmonton no less. take that rids.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yes. Finally won one. Hope they get hot.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Free admission at the saddledome (still called that?) friday night to see alberta's women hockey team take on boston's team. alberta's new team name will be unveiled. come one come all. great initiative by the Flames.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Not a fan of Women's hockey.

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

So the big draw was to come out and watch them unveil a new name, new colours and a new look - and they didn't do any of those things?

Even the promo email from the Flames had pictures with them in Flames colours. :huh:

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd have been surprised to see them come out with something overtly connected to the Flames since I gather their working name was "Team Alberta", and they were apparently comprised of an amalgam of former teams from Strathmore and Edmonton.

TM

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Right. Disappointed they didn't find a name either but a 2-1 loss is respectable against a cup contender like boston. they play good defence but can't score. The level of pro women's hockey is that of midget AA in men. Alberta won't contend this year but they'll improve with the support the flames are giving them. montreal's team flies in next weekend to end alberta's home set.

There was once the Calgary Oval-Xtreme that was in the cup tourney in 2009.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

don't blame ya. most folk aren't. i like it cuz it's cheap and relaxing to watch.

Alberta actually won tonight 2-1 in spite of being outshot 38-14 at one point. They were called the Honeybadgers last year. Yuck!

Found out on FB that their new name will be 'Blaze'.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Flames looked like giants last nite but just can't finish when it counts. Still, a good team chock full of vets, good development guys and tough blokes. Solid goaler, too!

Should make playoffs, 7th or 8th in conference. Just don't know if they've got an extra gear to advance much further.

Still better than my Wpg Jets who are a delightful ECHL/AHL/NHL rejects hybrid that have crap goal=tending and crap coaching. Mark Chipman bought a con man's delight in the Atlanta Trashers and will have four or 5 rough years ahead changing pieces and finding the way.

However Claude the Fraude Noel ain't an NHL coach. Good story-teller though.

Jets will win at least half their games at home where they have a 22nd man dressed - THE CROWD.

Probably win no more than 6 or 7 road games where they are shrinking violets and 5 to 6 million dollar men like Pavelec, Evanka Kane, Jokkinen, Hainsey, Enstrom, etc. turn into shrinking violets.

However, very few coaches, even the great Punch Imlach could make much out of the less than mediocre talent base the Jets have collected. Awful

As far as the Flames are concerned, I'd be looking to trade Jaroma Iginla for some high drafts or younger 2nd liners before he expires. Looks pretty close to petered out so far and its only 1/4 of the way thru the season. I'm sure Iggy will catch fire for 10 or 15 games but the full 48 is out of the question as Iggy must pace himself to keep his spot.

Flames management, much like Wpg management are stoic and unperturbed because a weak superstar is good P.R. and besides the games in Calgary and Wpg are sold out into perpetuity. So no pressure to change pieces.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Begosian & Byfuglien are out of the lineup for the Jets so defensively they are struggling. They have trouble scoring so if they can't play well in their own end they are hooped. I don't buy this 5 year rebuilding job. The Jets refuse to spend to the cap so that is why they are the team they are. They need help scoring so go out & sign someone when FA comes in July. Put a solid defense in front of Pavlec & he'll be okay. I think his best years are ahead of him still. On the Flames front, welcome to the Great Debate about Iggy. One fan tweeted last night that he must have taken Nyquil because he played like he was asleep. The effort was there but Emery stoned them.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Frankly, I'd rather have the Flames lineup in Wpg vs. the group of ham 'n eggers, AHL'rs, ECHL'rs, not-ready juniors and spares the Jets have. The Jets are cashing in on hockey frenzy in WPg. but they keep playing like an ECHL all-star team and their fanbase will erode in 3 or 4 years to 12,000 average outings.
    Both Cal and Wpg tend to be stoic and play the cards they have.
    Calgary will eventually find some finish and bury the biscuits, even if Iginla is petering out.
    The Jets will only win when other teams take the night off and the Jets play to 100% of their ability (which isn't much)

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Jets have to spend some money...

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

The Jets are going to suffer the same fate as their cross-city brethren, the bombers.

Wpg is not going to be seen as a destination place for promising free agents.

Even though we've got a bottom 3 NHL roster - we won't get a Top 3 draft pick (McKinnon, Drouin, Popeye Jones).

Reason - our team will be allowed to win or tie just enough games to finish #19 to #24 in standings. Nobody wants to let the Jets lose enough games to get another Dale Hawerchuk or Teemu Selanne. We'll be drafting #6 to #11 in the first round just because Wpg Arena (MTS Centre) has become difficult to play for our opponents.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Lots of players were picked later in Round 1. Have to trust the people scouting know what they are doing. As this is a Flames thread have to trust scouts for the Flames. Same with the Jets.

16. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

While the game against Chicago didn't have the outcome anyone was hoping for, it was a great Flames game to watch.

Seeing that style implemented for 60 minutes was amazingly refreshing - let's hope the team can keep that level up for the rest of the year.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

Other than the goal-tending, Chicago looked like fawns vs. wolves.

Good show by the Flames.

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

NEW GAL IN TOWN!!!!

HOT! QUIRKY! HOCKEY! TERRIFIC!

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=651502

These are the 4 words that immediately come to mind after I learned Kristin Hallett left CTV Winnipeg to take a job as the host of Flames TV. All I can say is you guys got a good one.

Kristin is simply amazing. One of the best media women I've seen work in Wpg. Simply too good to be reading twitters and e-mails on the CTV morning show.

She's all yours now. Only thing she needs to work on is ennunciation - she's a tiny bit breathy but sharp as a blade.

I think she stopped playing at Mankata State (hockey scholarship) due to arthritis or somesuch.

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

She is from here, I see.

20. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

damn she looks fine. trish can move over.