Calgary Flood

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rids, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Some amazing photos last night and today. I was able to see a quick clip on CNN even.

How's the members of the board here? Everybody dry? Anybody evacuated?

Hearing the Saddledome has water up to row 10 inside. Dressing rooms under water, lowest ribbon board is destroyed.

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Thankfully safe and dry at home.

No work today as downtown is totally shut down.

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

They're now evacuating the High River hospital.

Also, now it's 14 rows of water in the Saddledome.

They also just said on 770 that the city is going to be shutting power off to *some* non-evacuated communities, so get ready for that.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Heard that many of the old photos from the Corral have been ruined by the flood waters. As a history buff that saddens me greatly.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Horrible tragedy of nature. Don't think there was anything that could have been done to avert this disaster. Of course, within a few days, the shouters on radio and some print peeps will no doubt be screaming that Calgary's defenses were far too weak. Last night while the Bombers were getting butchered in Guelph, parts of winnipeg got 55mm of rain within an hour. Even the new Ikea was flooded on its first floor. Most underpasses were impassable for hours. But nothing close to the trauma in Calgary.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Maybe Mother Nature & not the politicians is going to decide when we get a new arena.

7. Liske

Liske Member

All dry and safe here so far in Tuxedo.

Saw the unbelievable photos of the Saddledome. Think the Stampede will open on time this year? Hmm...dunno.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, what does this mean for the future of the Saddledome? Damage will be in the millions. Will this be the impetus needed thanks to Mother Nature to get a new building sooner than we thought?

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Disappointed in Corus Radio Network. 770 CHQR knocked off the air as their studio was evacuated during Stamps game. Trouble was, they just picked up Edmonton's 630 CHED's broadcast. All hell is breaking loose down here & in Southern Alberta & they're talking Oilers hockey for 2 hours at lunch. Then, the drive home duo were trying to keep things light by asking, "Hey, all of you who were evacuated, what did you take with you & what did you leave behind? Call or text us!!" Like WTF??? People's lives are in danger & they're making light of it.
    You'd think they'd have modified their programming to take into account listeners in Calgary & elsewhere in the south want updated information. And, I really like Dave Rutherford but celebrating his retirement on the air Friday while Calgary flooded was stupid. Especially his sign off where CHED invited listeners down to the station for a BBQ with Dave & he said, "Let's go have a hotdog"!!
    I switched to 660 AM to keep up. Looks like CHQR will be off the air for awhile now.

10. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

The Saddledome

[​IMG]

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Time for a new arena.

12. Flash

Flash Member

What's a little mud between friends? If the Grand Old Opry can survive under 20 feet of water the Saddledome will be just fine especially since it's mostly concrete under that lake.

13. Liske

Liske Member

Outdoor water ban in effect:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/664349/outdoor-water-use-ban-in-place-for-city-of-calgary/

Limit toilet flushing.
    Limit showers to five minutes or less and keep baths shallow.
    Hold off on doing laundry.
    Only use your dishwasher if absolutely necessary and you have a full load.
    Turn off taps when brushing teeth or shaving.
    Don’t wash your vehicle.

A little confusing because a lot of the things listed are actually indoor water usage.

Edit: Ok, I understand now. There is a "ban" on outdoor water, and a "restriction" on indoor water use.

BTW: How is everyone's tap water? Mine smells a little funny. It smells lightly of solvent. Maybe they are using more chlorine or something.

14. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I used to work for the water department and will confirm that they are DEFINITELY adding more chlorine to the water as a security measure.

Water Services goes out of their way to make sure that our drinking water supply remains one of the best in the world.

15. Rids

Rids Member

SR I'm surprised you haven't posted this yet!! You're slacking.

[​IMG]

Flash likes this.
  16. Rids

Rids Member

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

That is just sad...

18. Rids

Rids Member

So Corus fired Rutherford today I guess. He made some remark about the terrible Corus coverage of the flood and today got a call before he was to go on air and they said he was done.

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What a classless move by Corus. Thing is, he was right. While Calgary & Southern, AB was flooding Friday, CHED was talking Oilers hockey for 2 hours. Biggest disaster in Alberta history & CHED didn't alter its programming to take into account their Calgary & Southern AB audience. 660 picked up the slack. Rutherford was right.