Calgary Native Matt Dumba, High-Risk Defensive Prospect Could Deliver High Reward

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I know that Dumba is highly skilled but 5'11 175 lb defensemen doesn't put fear into me if I'm a 205 lb winger crashing the net. The NHL is a big man's game now. In the 70's he'd have fit right in but I'm not convinced this guy can play for years at a high level in the NHL because of his physical limitations.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think Phil Housley played nearly 16 years and he was a shade under 5'11", listed at 176.........but Housley was a puck-mover and shooter that rarely laid more than a soft glove on an opponent.

Dumba is supposed to be far more physical but what are you supposed to do with guys like Staal, Malkin, Ovechkin, Dustin Brown, Iggy Poop, etc. Run 'em over or take a penalty?

4. Rids

Rids Member

Drafted 7th overall to Minnesota.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, the Flames move from 14 to 21 to draft a kid rated #41 who according to TSN is "years away" from playing in the NHL. Great job, Flames. But hey, he grew 8 inches since 2010. With decisions & picks like that, we might as well go out & sign all the over the hill free agents we can because we have nothing on the farm other than Baerschi. Glad I am a Jets fan.

6. Rids

Rids Member

I do find it hard to understand that a guy ranked in the 40s would be years away. Shouldn't more of these guys be ready to move up like they used to?

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Because he was the youngest player in his draft year.

He made the cut-off for eligibility in this draft year by a mere two days, and the scouting consensus on him is that had he instead been eligible for the 2013 draft, he'd have been a year older, a year more experienced, and would have had an extra year of physical development under his belt (he's 6'2" and 170 pounds with obviously a lot of room yet to grow into a man's body).

Where that would have put him a year hence is anybody's guess, but with his physical talents, his pedigree, and apparent "hockey sense", it's likely he would have gone much earlier had he been draftable in 2013.

Weisbrod liked him enough that he concurred with the majority of the Flames' scouting staff, and told Feaster not to go ahead with his plan to trade Calgary's pick (reputedly for another active player in the NHL), and urged him to instead stick with Jankowski.

They knew anyone in which they were interested who were among the "top ten" would be unlikely to fall to their position in the draft, and while I am sure they made some enquiries about moving up, they were unable to to so.

So they clearly set their sights on another player.

Jankowski.

He's the guy they had targetted all along, they knew there was little risk they'd lose him by moving down (because he is a "high risk/high reward" pick), and in doing so, they recouped a second round pick which they'd surrendered in the Regehr trade a year ago.

On the whole, I like the move. ;)

TM

8. Rids

Rids Member

Still if he was the 41st best player in the Draft Class he still should be a year or two away from joining the club at a max. Really all of the first 100 players taken should be in that mindset (minus goalies of course mostly because of the lack of spots as teams don't carry 3 goalies very often). If they can't compete within that timeframe there's a problem.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Flames are in big trouble. The team needs help now. The cupboard is bare. We have a team full of older & expensive underachievers. The team does not want to change the core. Players we draft, like Rids says should be a year away from playing. Of all the players they could have selected, you have to wonder about this one.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

We're not going to agree on this, gentlemen, so I'm going to leave matters just where they are.

TM

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Flames make it so hard to be a fan... I want to but it's hard & it is frustrating...