News Calgary Stampeders 2016 CFL Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, May 10, 2016.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

1. Alex Singleton LB 6'2 233lbs. Montana State

2. Brescacin, Juwan WR 6-4 230lbs. Northern Illinois

4. Grozman, Roman OT 6’4” 310lbs. Concordia

5.a) Bolduc, Jean Phiippe DB 6’ 1” 210lbs. Laval

b) Caron, Pierre-Luc LB 6’ 2” 231lbs. Laval

7. Kashak, Michael DL 6’1” 243lbs McMaster

8. Horton, Quinn DL 6’ 4” 313 lbs. Simon Fraser

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Alex Singleton
    LB
    Montana State
    6-foot-2, 233 lbs.
    Singleton was a three-year starter at Montana State and accumulated 246 tackles, including 31.5 tackles for loss, and four interceptions over his final two seasons with the Bobcats. He signed with the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent on May 8, 2015, and also spent time with the Minnesota Vikings. The California native became a Canadian citizen in October. He qualified for dual citizenship because his mother Kim was born in Toronto.

Brent Monson, LB coach: “He has a great build and has a lot of range. He’s a physical presence on the field.”

Juwan Brescacin
    WR
    Northern Illinois
    6-foot-4, 230 lbs.
    The Mississauga native registered 88 receptions for 1,242 yards and 17 touchdowns over his last three seasons at Norhtern Illinois. As a redshirt senior in 2015, Brescacin made a season-best six catches for 114 yards vs. Ohio on November 24. He earned the Fran Cahill Award in his final year, given to Huskie receiver who displays leadership, competitive spirit, hard work and loyalty. Having attended Indiana’s Culver Academy during his high school years, Brescacin broke three school career records in just two seasons including receptions (70), receiving yards (1,314) and touchdown catches (19).

Pete Costanza, receivers coach: “Juwan has good size and runs well for a big guy. He has good hands and runs well after the catch.”

Roman Grozman
    OT
    Concordia University
    6-foot-4, 310 lbs.
    Chosen 33rd overall in the 2016 CFL draft, Grozman, a senior starting offensive lineman for the Concordia Stingers, earned a spot in the 13th Annual CIS East-West Bowl and impressed with his size and mobility. Hailing from Tel-Aviv Israel, he began playing football in Grade 9.

Pat DelMonaco, OL coach: “He shows good technique and plays with a nasty streak.”

Jean Phiippe Bolduc
    DB
    Laval University
    6-foot-1, 210 lbs.
    Bolduc was part of the stingy Laval Rouge et or defence that allowed a mere 240.9 passing yards and 12.6 points per game during the 2015 CIS season. Bolduc attended the NFL’s Regional Combine in Baltimore on February 7th before being drafted by The Calgary Stampeders in the fourth round of the 2016 CFL Draft. Prior to joining Laval, Bolduc completed a stint with the CEGEP Division 1’s Champlain-Lennox Cougars.

Kahlil Carter, DB coach: “Bolduc has good size and good range. He’s very instinctive and is a smart player.”

Pierre-Luc Caron
    LB
    Laval University
    6-foot-2, 230 lbs.
    A linebacker and four-year first-string long snapper for the Laval, Caron helped the Rouge et Or to a 7-1 record during the 2015 CIS season. Caron had 7.5 tackles and was a key part of a Laval special-teams unit that led the Quebec conference in field-goal percentage and was second in punting average. Caron studied Kinesiology while attending Laval.

Mark Kilam, special-teams coordinator: “He shows greater velocity on his snaps and is very aggressive on coverage. He’s young and also shows great potential as a linebacker.”

Michael Kashak
    DL
    McMaster University
    5-foot-11, 242 lbs.
    Kashak played 31 games for McMaster University, recording 62 tackles, 26 for a loss, and 17.5 sacks during a four year career. He also forced 2 fumbles and one interception return for 25 yards. During the 2015 season Kashak made 22 solo tackles for a loss of 12 yards and lead the Marauders in sacks with 8.5 for a loss of 54 yards. He topped all defensive linemen in the bench press with 25 reps.

Corey Mace, defensive line coach: “He’s a very sound player and makes great plays against the run.”

Quinn Horton
    DL
    Simon Fraser University
    6-foot-3, 289 lbs.
    Horton was the top tackling defensive linemen for Simon Fraser in 2015 with 22 solo tackles, 8.5 for a loss and 1.5 sacks. In his junior year, Horton was named first-team Great Northwest Athletic Conference. He will potentially get a look as an offensive lineman with the Stamps.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Hear from Alex Singleton right after he was drafted 6th overall by the Stampeders.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

And hear what GM Huff think about Singleton.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

BRESCACIN ‘REALLY EXCITED’ ABOUT JOINING STAMPEDERS
    It didn’t take long for the Stamps’ second-round pick in the 2016 CFL Draft to switch allegiances.

A Mississauga, Ont., native, Juwan Brescacin grew up rooting for the nearby Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts but has no complaints whatsoever about heading west to dawn the Red and White.

“It means a lot to me,” the former Northern Illinois receiver said when asked about being selected by the Calgary Stampeders. “Growing up I was always a fan of Hamilton and Toronto but I’ve always watched the Stampeders and they’re always a team that has competed for the Grey Cup or has been in the running for it. I just want to be a part of something like that. I have family out in Calgary and just having that there for me is a big deal to me.”
    Continue reading: http://www.stampeders.com/2016/05/10/brescacin-really-excited-joining-stampeders/

6. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Quinn Horton, apparently, will be converted to an offensive lineman during training camp.

Speaking of offensive linemen, birthday boy, Pierre Lavertu needs a new contract with the Stampeders ASAP, or he becomes a free agent.

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Stamps hope for defensive starter with first-round draft pick
    In October, Alex Singleton became a Canadian citizen, qualifying because his mother was born in Toronto. On Tuesday night, the Calgary Stampeders made him a candidate for a ratio-breaking position on their defence.
    It’s a quick turnaround for the Montana State product, but it’s a route he’s glad to have taken after the Stamps made him their first-round draft pick at sixth overall, the first defensive player off the board.
    Singleton, who already has some NFL experience with Seattle and Minnesota last season, couldn’t have dropped into a better situation. Among the training camp positions open for competition is the middle linebacker spot vacated by eight-year veteran Juwan Simpson.
    http://3downnation.com/2016/05/11/stamps-hope-for-defensive-starter-with-first-round-draft-pick/

Calgary Stampeders add to Mitchell’s arsenal in later rounds of CFL Draft
    Keeping your quarterback happy is pretty important for every football team.
    Heading into the 2016 CFL Draft on Tuesday, the Calgary Stampeders could’ve added depth to the offensive line with one of their two top 15 picks in order to help keep their gunslinger upright.
    While they didn’t do that, they did the next best thing, and Bo Levi Mitchell’s tweet said it all when they drafted Northern Illinois’ Juwan Brescacin, a 6-foot-4, 230-lb. receiver.
    “Muhahahahahahha Weapons!,” Mitchell tweeted.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/05/1...tchells-aresenal-in-later-rounds-of-cfl-draft

New Canadian Alex Singleton thrilled to play for team so close to his alma mater
    The Calgary Stampeders got one of the guys they wanted.
    It just wasn’t at the position many expected it to be.
    With four offensive lineman off the board in the first five picks of Tuesday evening’s 2016 CFL Draft, the Stamps were on the clock at No. 6 with one of their top targets staring them in the face.
    The skillset and resume of Montana State linebacker Alex Singleton, a player who already has NFL experience with the Seattle Seahawks and Minnesota Vikings, made it an easy choice.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/05/1...algary-stampeders-in-first-round-of-cfl-draft

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

COUNTING HIS BLESSINGS
    Roman Grozman was thankful to have been drafted by the Stampeders with the 33rd overall pick in Tuesday’s CFL Draft. But that’s not all he’s grateful for.

Spending the first 10 years of his life in Netanya, Israel, Grozman lived through circumstances few will ever relate to. Faced with constant violence and ongoing fear, he never takes for granted the opportunity he was given to pursue a better life in Canada.

“It was a war when I grew up in Israel so it was kind of difficult times always hearing the sirens and this and that,” Grozman explained. “Once I moved to Canada, I kind of got an outside look at the war and I think a reason why I’m good at football is because living in Israel, I was always in danger all the time. I think living there helped me with playing football and being aggressive and once I get my hands on someone, I want to put them on the ground. That’s just my mentality and I feel like that came from my upbringing in Israel.”

While the transition was tough, Grozman overcame the adversity. Moving to a new country at the age of 10, he had much more important things on his mind than football, a sport he didn’t begin playing until Grade 9.
    Continue reading: http://www.stampeders.com/2016/05/11/counting-his-blessings/

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Alex Singleton spoke with Mark Stephen.