GAME DAY Calgary Stampeders at Montreal Alouettes - July 3, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Calgary Stampeders (1-0) vs Montreal Alouettes (0-1)
    Friday July 3, 2015

Percival Molson Stadium, Montreal
    5:30pm MDT
    GET TICKETS

Television: TSN, ESPN2
    Radio: News Talk 770, SiriusXM

pdficon24.png Depth Chart & Roster
    pdficon24.png Game Notes

Depth Chart

[​IMG]
    Preview: Calgary at Montreal wk.2
    The defending champions head to Montreal 1-0 to take on the Alouettes, who will be looking to bounce back after a tough week 1 defeat.
    http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/112061

Game Preview
    The Calgary Stampeders head out on the road for the first time in the young 2015 season as they travel to Montreal to take on the Alouettes.

The Stamps won their season-opener at home last week, eking out a 24-23 last-second victory over Hamilton. This is the 11th straight season that Calgary has played its second game of the year on the road and the Stamps’ record is 4-6 in the previous 10 contests. Calgary beat the Argos 34-15 to open its road schedule in 2014.

This is also the second straight game against an Eastern foe as the Stamps will play six of their first seven games against teams from the East and will see the Alouettes again in Week 6 at home.

Montreal lost more than just their season opener to Ottawa 20-16 last week, they also lost two quarterbacks in the process and will have to start a rookie under centre against the defending champs.

Montreal beat Calgary 31-15 at home in 2014 and holds a 4-3 edge in the seven games played in Montreal since 2008.

Calgary had a league-best 8-1 road record in 2014 and the Stamps sport a 31-14 road record over the past five seasons.
    http://www.stampeders.com/article/cgy-mtl-preview-150703

2. Liske

Liske Member

Interesting: If the Stamps win in Montreal, Bo Mitchell will have the best starting record of any rookie QB in CFL history (17-2).

Jackie Parker went 16-2.

3. strujas

strujas Member

Expecting a big bounce back game from Mitchell.

4. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Go Bo Go!!!

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Let's go Stamps!
    The team appears to lack any urgency in their play. Offensively out of Sync.
    Jeff Fuller out again. Too bad.

6. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Wow; another brutal start with a bunch of bad penalties to top it off.
    We should be feasting on this team; instead I don't know if we have crossed center field yet?

7. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Disapointing first half. Only a game and a half into this season, but the Stamps are being out played again.

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Bad game. Better luck next week.
    Uninspired effort by the Stamps.
    This team definitely have plenty of work to do.
    The team simply didn't show up to play. Right now too complacent.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Execrable performance.

Everywhere on the field.

Just burn the video on this one. ;)

TM

10. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I will be the first to say this: with this offensive line, Cornish will be hard pressed to make it to 1,000 yards. I don't what it is with RB's but they reach 30 and it seems they hit the wall.

Bronko likes this.
  11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, truly "offensive" is the most apt description of Calgary's offensive line...

TM

Bronko likes this.
  12. Mathgod

Mathgod Member

Where to start??? WOW... didn't expect to see the GC MVP get badly outplayed by a 4th string rookie QB. [​IMG]

Mitchell was just flat out awful again tonight. He needs to stop missing open receivers. Aside from about a handful of throws there was NOTHING to like about his game. Huf needs to seriously consider putting Tate in sooner in games going forward. I get that he's not getting the protection he needs, but overthrowing open receivers and/or locking into receivers are issues that he needs to get sorted out and fast. I don't know what the solution is here but he better get it figured out or Huf and DD may have little choice but to turn to Tate.

Oline? This is where I'm most worried about this team going forward. Two games in a row of shoddy protection, hardly any holes opened up for Cornish, allowing defenders to bee-line their way to Mitchell. They hopefully will improve their chemistry as the season progresses, but the drop off in performance from last year's Oline to this year's isn't just noticeable - it's enormous. Even at their best I can't see this unit getting anywhere close to what last year's unit was.

Dline? After an excellent game against Hamilton they followed it up with an embarrassing outing tonight; got completely manhandled by Montreal's Oline all night long. The loss of Hughes was very noticeable, and one can only hope that he's not gone for long.

Receivers? More dropped passes, running routes short of first down yardage, just an overall lack of compete and urgency.

STs? El Matado-matic misses a makeable kick to put a cherry on top of what was a nightmare first half for the team. Tim Brown continues to have butterfingers. I'm not worried about the kicking game going forward but Brown needs to quit putting balls on the turf.

Penalties? Oh lawd, it has to stop. It just HAS to stop. Maybe a clip of Kavis Reed's "consequences" rant would fit nicely here.

No, this isn't a game where the tape should be burned. If anything it should be burned into the minds of the players. I don't want to hear the "it's just one game" thing because in all honesty we saw most of these same problems last week except for the fact that the defense and Rene bailed the team out in that one. The offense continues to be hot garbage play in and play out, series in and series out, and now has looked consistently bad for two full games. It's worrying, and I DO have good reason for saying that.

At least when the problem is with scheming or play calls it is a problem that can be corrected relatively easily, but when the personnel isn't performing well it may be a talent issue and therefore may be a sign that the team just isn't nearly as good as we thought they were. Hopefully we see Simpson and Hughes back sooner than later as the defense looks completely lost without them.

Bronko and Madman like this.
  13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

way to go cato. I was at the imagine dragons concert which was just as good.

ArgoCister and Bronko like this.
  14. strujas

strujas Member

Bo Levi's starting record drops to 16-3...

Bronko likes this.
  15. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jon has developed eyes on all parts of his head. He's anticipating hits (concussion problems will do this) so his burst into the line isn't quite the same. The equivalent of losing half a step. He'll still be able to blow thru a team with hobos and clowns on its front 7 (ie. Winnipeg) but he's gonna have problems getting 80 yds per game on a consistent basis vs. teams with meat & hate on their D.

16. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

he got 1,000 yards out of half a season last year so he can play it safe and get 56 yards a game long as he stays healthy all 18 games.

17. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Respect the opinion but totally disagree. Its hard to get a load of steam going to the line, when there are 2 DL's in his face, 2 steps behind the centre. As far as anticipating hits, show a run where he turtles before impact? THAT is anticipating a hit. Cornish doesn't do that. Being aware and anticipating are two totally different things.

#17 CoachB57, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  18. Mathgod

Mathgod Member

I hope Jon hasn't hit the dreaded 30-year-old-running-back wall. Time will tell.

19. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think he's got this and at least next year before someone makes a decision. And often times its not the player.