GAME DAY Calgary Stampeders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers - October 18, 2014

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Oct 18, 2014.

?

Who will win the Bombers vs Stampeders game?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2014.
  1. Calgary Stampeders

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Calgary Stampeders (12-2) at Winnipeg Blue Bombers (6-8)
    Saturday October 18, 2014

Investors Group Field, Winnipeg
    5:00pm MDT
    GET TICKETS

Television: TSN, ESPN3
    Radio: News Talk 770, SiriusXM 167

Depth Chart and Roster
    Game Notes

Depth Chart
    [​IMG]

Preview: Plenty to play for as Bombers host Stamps
    http://cfl.ca/article/preview-plenty-to-play-for-as-bombers-host-stamps

Game Preview

The Calgary Stampeders take on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for the first time in the regular season in Week 17 and for the first time as divisional foes since 2005.

The Stamps (12-2) are coming off the bye last week while the Bombers (6-8) lost 41-9 to the Eskimos at Commonwealth Stadium.

Calgary has a perfect 7-0 record dating back to 2008 coming off a bye week and are on a roll in Winnipeg as well, winning four straight games in the Manitoba capital including a 37-24 win last season.

Calgary has clinched a playoff spot in the West and can clinch first place for the second straight season with a win over the Bombers.

Calgary has the best road record in the CFL at 6-1 and has the best record within the division at 5-1. Winnipeg is 3-4 at home and 1-6 against Western teams.
    http://www.stampeders.com/article/cgy-wpg-preview-1410018

2. Jayman

Jayman Member

With my vote, this site is giving The Bombers the best odds of winning anywhere.

3. Liske

Liske Member

Two INTs by BLM in the half. Bo has got to learn to make better decisions. Either take off running, or throw it away.

Turnovers = drive killers.

Defense playing well. Lots of pressure up front.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I'm not sold on this Defense. Can't stop the pass.
    A team like Winnipeg with a third string QB scores a touchdown. The offense has stalled. With a patch work team in Winnipeg the Stamps should be dominating the game. Right now I'm a little worried about this team come the playoffs. There is no killer instinct on either side. Furthermore, the Stamps in past 5 or 6 games have given up a ton of points in the 4th quarter.

#4 Bumpnrun, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  5. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Yup; Winnipeg pegs no names are showing the rest of the CFL how to beat our defence

6. Liske

Liske Member

Stamps win the game on a long Jon Cornish drive. He finishes with over 150 yards. The guy is amazing.

7. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Congratulation to the Stamps for clinching the West division title. This is the first step. Take the win with little satisfaction.

#7 Bumpnrun, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. Jayman

Jayman Member

Some possibly inebriated thoughts from a Bomber fan:
    • Cotton is a solid replacement for Grigsby, did i hear a rumour Grigsby's on The Greyhound, headed for Hamilton?
    • Cornish is the deal breaker, amazing offensive performance AND he gives The Stamps an import (i refuse to say "international") elsewhere, Huff should think about protecting/saving him now. He seemed to be limping walking off at the end.
    • Stamps o-line is strong and deep; a big part of Cornish.
    • Bombers QB's measured up well against Stamps QB
    • Huf doesn't make mistakes, MOS does
    • I thought Bomber kick game, save one shanked punt, was perhaps stronger
    • Stripers a non issue, a pleasant change
    • Stamps out pinked Bombers
    • Best team won, should have won by more, but it could have been closer
    • Wad Miller counted the crowd and then spent the night trying to figure out how to tell The Province he won't be making the mortgage payment, again.
    • CONGRATULATIONS, a well deserved First Place.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  9. Liske

Liske Member

Bomber QB Marve looks like he has CFL potential. He looked better than Brohm at times. I would happily trade Tate for Marve. I like QBs that can scramble to extend plays and throw on the run.

10. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

First of all - Congratulations to John Hufnagel and the Calgary Stampeders for wrapping up first place earlier than I can ever remember, even from the Early 90s Flutie days. One win and we're in the Cup - two wins and GC champs we are. So good for you team. Part One of the goal achieved!

But there's a lot of work to go before that, and after tonight's unnecessarily tight game, it is still anything but a walk in the park. The defence is NOT playing well at all, that was embarrassing at points in the third quarter and in the 4th. Thank god we have a guy wearing number 9 that can put this team on his back and just dominate in crunch time. Well done JON CORNISH.

AS much as I want to believe that we will be OK, I think there's at least two defences that are playing much better than what we are putting out there - being Edmonton's and Montreal's. Our receivers that I think are our best weapons are both still in sick bay, one (Fuller) never to return this year, and McDaniel is iffy at best it would seem to be back for the final. A starting group of Price, Parker, Lewis and West, are going to have to up their games considerably, based on what we saw tonight. We know we are a run first team, pass second, but so do the other teams. Cornish is going to have to be a monster in the games 35 and 42 days from now, if we are to stand a chance I say.

Yes we won, and down the stretch, our best player was the best one on the field, when it mattered the most. You can see it in Cornish's eyes, that he himself is not prepared to be denied this year. But after that, I didn't see that in many more guys tonight. Why is it, if we build any kind of lead, we can't seem to go for the jugular? WE didn't last night -AGAIN. And that scares me. We have a Saskatchewan team coming in next week, that you KNOW wants to beat us, just to put some doubt in our minds, about what's ahead.

Stubler also looked more like Buddy Hackett at times out there tonight, that 3 - 4 defence he threw out there was giving up gobs of yardage at a time to 2nd and 3rd string QBs, and a RB whoi just became a starter this week. . It's interesting that in the final minutes, that defence went away,we went back to 4-3 and we were fine in crunch time. Why do we go to that ineffective 3-4 so much now? Hopefully that will disappear when Hughes gets back.

John Hufnagel doesn't lose his cool too often on the sidelines, but after Winnipeg turned it into a 3 point game late in the fourth quarter, you could see he was flat out yelling at people. Stubler looked clueless in one shot as to what was happening. If Hufnagel wants to make these guys play like champions, make them put their foot on the throats of the Riders on Friday night coming. And it will start with the D. The exercise now should be to get the play of the D back to what it was at the start of the year. Not try to fix it on the fly potentially in the Western final or Grey Cup.

Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Just over 22,000. Ya think they already gave up? :bag:

12. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I agree the receivers do need to step up their game! The defense you know the one that didn't allow a touchdown for several games is not playing up to is billing. If this team is going further in the playoffs they all need to step up their game. It is funny I mentioned to my friends that Snop! is their best Canadian receiver this year and what happens A Parker shows his stuff. West got a touch down then went back and disappeared. On second down conversions we need more too NIK happening. The defense what the heck is happening? I can think of one guy on defense that proves his worth time and again Turner you played with heart honorable mentions Lemon and Mayo but wow the other guys played well but just not good enough and I think they know it. We can not take anyone lightly and I believe the defense did just that.