Signing Calgary Stampeders extend Bo Levi Mitchell

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel is pleased to announce that international quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell has signed a contract extension that will keep him with the Red and White through the 2018 season.

The 25-year-old Katy, Tex., native boasted a 13-2 record as the Stampeders’ starter in 2014 and led Calgary to a 43-18 win over the Edmonton Eskimos with four touchdown passes in the Western Final before earning Most Valuable Player honours in the Stamps’ Grey Cup victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“Bo Levi has set the bar very high for himself after his performance last season but with his ability and determination, I believe he has room to grow and improve even more,” said Hufnagel. “The team has made a long-term commitment to Bo Levi and I’m pleased that he has made a long-term commitment to the Stampeders. This signing provides stability for the team at a crucial position.”

Mitchell led the CFL in passer rating in 2014 as he completed 264 of 417 passes for 3,389 yards and 22 touchdowns with just eight interceptions. He also carried the ball 35 times for 232 yards and four touchdowns.

In three seasons with the Stamps, he has completed 64.6 per cent of his passes (370 of 573) for 4,713 yards and 34 touchdowns. Mitchell also has 450 rushing yards and 11 majors.

“I’d like to thank Huff and the organization for making this commitment to me,” said Mitchell. “I feel like I’m just getting started here and so I wanted to make the same commitment to the Stampeders. I thank Dave and Huff so much for everything they’ve done for me since I arrived in Calgary in 2012 and I’m excited for the future as we build on what we accomplished together last year.”

Updated with the official release.

On BLM's 25th birthday, word from Vicki Hall and Mark Stephen is that the Stamps will lock Bo Levi into a new long term deal.

The Stampeders will have an announcement at 11:00 this morning.

#1 Madman, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Scott Mitchell states it's through 2018.

3. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Here you go!

The Calgary Stampeders have locked up starting quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell through the 2018 season.
    "Bo Levi has set the bar very high for himself after his performance last season but with his ability and determination," Stampeders coach and general manager John Hufnagel said in a statement. "I believe he has room to grow and improve even more.

"This signing provides stability for the team at a crucial position."

The new contract comes just over a ‎year after he signed his last extension with the Stampeders (was locked up through 2016 in January 2014). But now GM and coach John Hufnagel will not only give Mitchell a richer deal that’s comparative to the top quarterbacks in the league, but secure his services with the organization long-term.
    Link

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Great news for the Stampeders, and from an entertainment standpoint, the Canadian Football League itself!

By the time this contract has run its course, BLM will be 29 years old.

Maybe, just maybe, by the time Bo's ready (and free) to pursue his life-long dream of playing in the National Football League, he'll have become so comfortable (and so celebrated) in Canada that he elects to stay for the duration and go for an Anthony Calvillo-style career in the CFL.

Here's hopin' anyway...;)

TM

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Big to sign him through 2018. Pretty smart move on his part as well. Its been quite a bit of time since a QB from the CFL signed with an NFL team basically to be the starter or top back up ready to replace a retiring starter. Not counting Flutie since he started NFL/USFL before coming to the CFL Jeff Garcia was about the last.
    There have been a plenty who go and maybe grab a PR spot or number 3 and then return.
    He obviously wants to play. If that time comes after 2018 he will either be a very highly touted free agent signing with a team as the starter or he will not go.
    Where will this leave Drew Tate? He has proven that he clearly has the ability to be an all star calibre QB. Injury and the emergence of Bo Levi now locked in through 4 seasons. I doubt he goes anywhere this season but provided he has cleared all the health issues someone may be interested in him as a starter and he would be interested as well.
    Never sleeping they acquired McPherson but was still injured. Now another big prospect coming right out of the NCAA to develop and compete with Moniz who gained a bit of pro experience via Arena Football League.
    I would like to see them add a Willy, Crompton, Lefevour type QB. A few years of NFL expereince as a back up being able to quickly adapt to the CFL already making the transition from a college player to a pro player.

6. Liske

Liske Member

Drew Tate was also recently extended back in January. I don't know for how long, but I imagine to at least the end of 2016. Tate is 30, so if he was thinking he needed to be a starter, he would already be looking elsewhere. To me, Tate seems content to be a back-up in a good organization, to play for a winning team, and is willing to take his slim chances of being a starter here.

I'm not sure Tate has "proven that he has the ability to be an all star calibre QB". He is definitely a very good pivot, but I think of him more as a kind of a number #1A QB, rather than a number #1 QB. He's had a history of serious injuries (hopefully behind him) and played well, but didn't look overwhelmingly great last year. I could be wrong, but it seems ever since his last injury, Tate's skills have either plateaued or even dropped a notch from the time before his first injury. Tate can win games and lead a team, but he seems to be at his best when he's coming off the bench. That was also the case when Burris was here.

7. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Bo is a good QB and if Tate is required there is not a big drop off from Bo! Thats what I like no other team can boast that in the CFL.