Calgary Stampeders have long mini-camp shopping list

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Now pushing the cart and examining the items together, Dave Dickenson and John Hufnagel have an extensive shopping list.

It’s pretty easy to tell just by looking at the number of bodies in each position group at the Calgary Stampeders’ annual mini camp where the roster focus lies between now and the first day of main training camp May 29.

If that doesn’t work, simply take a look at the off-season transaction wire and you’ll notice the exodus.

“We have a number of receiver spots to fill for our training camp for a reason — we lost some guys,” Hufnagel noted, likely still swallowing hard at the loss of a rising superstar in Eric Rogers to the NFL. “We’re going to bring a handful of receivers up from this camp, and I’m very pleased with the candidates.”

There’s definitely no shortage of them, as 15 pass-catchers ran around the IMG Academy field during two Sunday practices.

Seth Smith, a 5-foot-9, 180-pounder out of DII Texas A&M Commerce, and Darius Reynolds, who’s currently suiting up for the Philadelphia Soul in the AFL, were noticeable during Sunday’s sessions.

But while that may be one of the more glaring needs, there are others.

“I think receiving is huge and I’d like to see us come out of here with a guy we feel would be a great returner,” Dickenson said when listing off what he’s looking for. “I think running back’s open. We have a lot of experience at O-line, but we always feel like we struggle finding that guy. Our D-line is a position that should have great competition this year, both at tackle and at end. I think we’re fairly strong at linebacker and DB, but DB, for sure, would be our oldest position, so get some young blood there, as well.”

Thanks to significant attrition in an 18-game season, no amount of depth is ever enough.

Continue reading: