Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for August 20, 2014

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for August 20, 2014

Several Stamps players spent their day off playing paintball at Capture the Flag in Cochrane.

Stamps battle on paintball course

After stepping up for the Stampeders, Hugh Charles may have to step aside

The reigning CFL most outstanding player is a running back and could be back in action this weekend for the Calgary Stampeders.
    That would be Jon Cornish, who's moved much closer to game action after suffering a concussion in the season-opener, and said he expects to play against the Ottawa RedBlacks on Sunday.

Lewis, a victim of the CFL’s ratio game, biding his time on the sidelines
    For someone who aspires to be a head coach someday, it’s always good to be well versed on the business side of football.
    If Nik Lewis is ever hired to run a CFL team, he could certainly point to the past month as a lesson in the Canadian player ratio.
    When both non-import running backs Jon Cornish and Matt Walter went down with concussions early in the season, the Stamps didn’t have the luxury of dressing an extra import receiver, which meant the nine-time 1,000-yard slotback was the odd man out.

Sinopoli eagerly anticipates first return to Ottawa as a pro player
    During those salad-day late falls/early winters of playing ‘Who’s Your Daddy?’ with Canadian college secondaries, Brad Sinopoli never, deep down, believed in this.
    Of course, he never could’ve envisioned himself returning to Ottawa for the first time as a pro as one of the many catching the ball and not the one guy throwing it, either.
    “Not when I was there, no, I didn’t think it would happen,” admits the 2010 Hec Crighton winner at the University of Ottawa. “I didn’t think they’d get a CFL team back. I mean, everyone wanted it. There was so much talk. But not a lot of action.

Hughes running well behind John Chick in CFL’s sack race
    Charleston Hughes claims he’s not the least bit interested in turning on the TV to check out the hot Chick everyone is talking about.
    Sure, the Calgary Stampeders defensive end has heard plenty about what’s happening with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. John Chick is getting a lot of attention for the quarterback hunting season he’s opened on the prairies.