Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for December 4, 2014

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for December 4, 2014

GC 102: Stamps honoured at Flames game

The 2014 Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders were honoured at a Flames game on Dec. 2.

Player comments: Raymond, Mace, Mitchell
    DB Keon Raymond, DL Corey Mace and QB Bo Levi Mitchell spoke to the media during the team's final media availablity.

Coach comments: Hufnagel and Dickenson
    Head coach John Hufnagel and offensive coordinator Dave Dickenson spoke to the media at the team's final availability.

John Hufnagel is coming back.
    The Stampeders head coach and general manager since 2008, Hufnagel made the official announcement on Wednesday.
    “In order to put an end all the speculation and all the questions, I would like to clarify the matter once and for all by announcing that I will be returning for one more season on the sideline with the Stampeders,” said Hufnagel. “In 2016, I will concentrate on the general manager’s duties and turn the head coach job over to Dave Dickenson, who has contributed greatly to our team’s success as offensive coordinator and has all the tools to be an excellent head coach in this league.”

Hufnagel to return as Stampeders head coach for 2015
    Dave Dickenson says he doesn't mind waiting another year to get his first opportunity as a CFL head coach.
    John Hufnagel announced Wednesday he will be back on the sidelines next season as he tries to guide the Calgary Stampeders to a second straight Grey Cup title, but he said he will hand the reins over to Dickenson, the team's offensive co-ordinator, in 2016.
    "I have one more year left on the field coaching," Hufnagel said on Wednesday afternoon. "Then, Dave in Year 2 will become the head coach and I'll move up to just be the general manager. With that program in place, I don't think that there's a whole lot of talking necessary about another team."

Off-season means free-agent frenzy for Calgary Stampeders
    The confetti had barely settled on the BC Place turf, and John Hufnagel was right back to work.
    The Calgary Stampeders GM/head coach, just like every season, has a busy CFL off-season to-do list, and he’s already started trying to check some of the chores off.
    Work has already started on his pending free agents.

Calgary Sun's Scott Mitchell joins Calgary Stampeders in Grey Cup celebrations
    Every player who has won the Grey Cup has a story.
    Not the story of the gruelling, arduous grind of the six months on the football field needed to get to the big game and win it, but the story of what happened in the aftermath.
    Otherwise known as the party.
    That party for the 2014 CFL-champ Calgary Stampeders started inside the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Vancouver on Sunday night, continued on the plane the next morning with players dancing in the aisles and ramped up even more once they landed in Calgary and were surrounded by Red & White supporters.

Grey Cup championship adds fuel to Calgary Flames fire
    Bo Levi Mitchell, to absolutely no one’s surprise, was right on the mark Tuesday night when handed the mic as part of the Calgary Flames pre-game salute to the Grey Cup-winning Calgary Stampeders.
    “How does it feel to be a sports fan in Calgary?” the Stamps quarterback asked rhetorically, drawing one in a lengthy string of roars from the Cowtown crowd.
    Pointing out his adopted hometown was now home to the Grey Cup champs and perhaps the most exciting young team in the NHL, Mitchell and his appreciative teammates then retreated to the stands where they too got a taste of the type of excitement they had provided the locals all season long.

John Hufnagel officially announces his return as Calgary Stampeders head coach for one final CFL season
    The not-so-secret succession plan is now out in the open.
    And it’s exactly what many expected it to be.
    The 2015 CFL season will be John Hufnagel’s final campaign on the sideline and last in the dual role as GM and head coach, as the 63-year-old Pennsylvania native officially announced Wednesday that he’ll hand the Calgary Stampeders head coaching duties over to Dave Dickenson in 2016 and move upstairs to focus on the GM job.

Stamps notes: Lemon to audition for Redskins and 11 other NFL teams
    Now that the celebrating is over, there is no down time for Calgary Stampeders’ defensive end Shawn Lemon. He’s back on the field on Friday, in what is the first of 12 workouts with National Football League teams.
    “I’m really a free agent?” chuckled the Stamps’ season sack leader. “We’ll see what that’s about, but I wouldn’t play for another CFL team but Calgary. I’ve expressed it to management already, we’ll go from there, do those workouts and see what happens.”
    His first is on Friday with the Washington Redskins. Regardless of what his future holds, this 2014 season isn’t one he’ll soon forget.

Hufnagel to coach next season before handing off to Dickenson in 2016
    The lure of the job will keep John Hufnagel coaching for one more season, then he’ll hand the ball off to his offensive co-ordinator.
    The Calgary Stampeders’ head coach and general manager revealed on Wednesday that he will continue to occupy both positions for the 2015 CFL campaign and the following season will appoint Dave Dickenson as the head man on the sidelines.
    “I enjoy it,” Hufnagel said of coaching, three days after leading his squad to a Grey Cup championship. “I had a chat with (Stamps’ chairman) Ken King about this last year. I thought the best thing (was) to put a plan in place to protect the integrity of our football team. Dave’s an excellent football coach.

Is this Nik Lewis's swan song with Stamps?
    A tad chilly for kissing babies but Nik Lewis was busy shaking hands, posing for photos, one arm slung around the Grey Cup as a throng of Nik's Nation encircled him on the street down from the steps of city hall after lunchtime - many outfitted in his signature No. 82 Calgary Stampeders jersey.
    The one-time bombastic rebel transformed into elder-statesman politician.
    If the public had a say, he'd be swept back into office by acclamation - it's impossible to think of a more popular Stampeder these days - but the question of serving an 11th term in the only CFL home he's ever known hangs in the air, open for debate.
    Is there room in Calgary in 2015 for Nik Lewis?

Mission accomplished
    Calgary Stampeders fullback Rob Cote, with the help of his teammates, finished what he set out to do: win the Grey Cup as a playing member of the team in the big game. With their 20-16 Grey Cup win over Hamilton Tiger-Cats Nov. 30 at Vancouver’s B.C. Place Stadium, the Stampeders put Cote’s name in the books and on the venerable trophy signifying Canadian pro football supremacy.
    Heading into the 102nd Grey Cup game, the eighth-year Stampeders fullback had watched from the sidelines in 2008 as his team won a Cup 22-14 against Montreal. He played in 2012’s 35-22 Cup loss to Toronto. All that was left was for the 28-year-old to “be on the field when we win one of these things.”

Three reasons succession plan will work

The Calgary Stampeders made official what had long been suspected. John Hufnagel will coach one more year (2015), try to defend the Grey Cup, then move to the front office as General Manager. Dave Dickenson will slide into the big office as head coach.