Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for June 16, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for June 16, 2015

Sights & Sounds - June 12

Sights & Sounds from the Stamps' pre-season win over the BC Lions on June 12, 2015.

Training camp update - Day 16
    Huff talks about the returners and defensive line, we talk to newest receiver Nathan Slaughter and learn why DL Brandon Boudreaux likes this defensive system so much.

Huff comments - Training camp June 15
    Coach Hufnagel talks about what he saw in Friday's pre-season win over the BC Lions.

Steinberg's MMQB: At long last, CFL football returns

It’s been too long. With a bevy of good stories and a promising season ahead, the first installment of 2015’s Monday Morning Quarterback has lots to talk about. We’ve got a mixed bag in Hamilton and some interesting questions for the defending champs to get to, among other things. We’re glad to be back, so let’s get it on.

The Calgary Stampeders will play their second and final pre-season contest on Friday when they travel to Regina to face the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Kickoff at Mosaic Stadium is 7:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on News Talk 770.
    The Stamps won their pre-season opener 20-6 over the BC Lions on Friday at McMahon Stadium while the Roughriders dropped a 31-24 decision to the Edmonton Eskimos on Saturday in Fort McMurray, Alta.

Davis holds his own in first taste of pre-season action
    First-year quarterback Dominique Davis had an impressive outing in Friday night’s 20-6 preseason win over the BC Lions, completing nine of his 10 pass attempts to go along with one touchdown toss.
    Brand new to the CFL game, the East Carolina product was glad to go up against an opposing team rather than the Stampeders’ defence day after day in training camp.
    “It was one thing doing it in practice every day but when the bullets are flying and it’s actually live, it’s different,” said Davis post-game. “But I just took it one play at a time to get first downs and touchdowns, and that’s what we did today.”

Returner Tim Brown in Calgary Stampeders plans?
    One day after cutting Jock Sanders, the Calgary Stampeders are on the verge of adding another veteran option in the return game.
    Former B.C. Lions returner Tim Brown, who was let go in May when new Leos head coach Jeff Tedford did a bit of housecleaning, was expected to be in Calgary on Monday afternoon and could be added to the mix shortly, according to multiple sources.

Randy Chevrier continues to survive with Calgary Stampeders
    Throughout 15 seasons of professional football, Randy Chevrier has survived more than a few rounds of cuts.
    But even at the age of 39, the Calgary Stampeders long-snapper had the same worries this past weekend when CFL teams had to get down to 65 players as he did when he attended his first pro training camp with the Jacksonville Jaguars way back in 2001, his first of three NFL stops that year alone.

Quinn Smith working his way into Calgary Stampeders starting job
    Somebody get Quinn Smith an oat bag.
    DeVone Claybrooks’ plow-horse could use a recharge.
    Coming into training camp, the second-year defensive tackle was sitting third on the Calgary Stampeders defensive line coach’s depth chart, exactly where Smith expected to be some 13 months into his CFL career.
    But unexpectedly, veteran Corey Mace needed a back procedure and some time to rest.

Calgary Stampeders hopeful Charlie Power showing spark in bid to standout
    Charlie Power now holds the blueprint for what a football player should do when trying to lock down a job.
    Grinding through his third CFL training camp with the Calgary Stampeders, the fourth-round pick of the 2013 CFL Draft didn’t have much in the way of a resume before Friday night.
    In a span of 60 minutes, Power, who made two cameo appearances on the active roster last season, added a few impressive lines to his curriculum vitae in the 20-6 win over the B.C. Lions, racking up four special-teams tackles, forcing a fumble on a punt deep in Leos territory and then capping it off by hauling in a two-point conversation from third-string quarterback hopeful Dominique Davis to help seal the victory.

Stamps notes: Lions cast-off getting up to speed with Calgary
    Andre Ramsey hasn’t been around these parts long so if he wants to stick around, he realizes he’s got to carry that playbook around with him day and night.
    “It is new and a lot of it is different from where I was previously in B.C., but I’m having a great time,” said the imposing 6-foot-5, 322-pound import offensive tackle. “The coaches and the players have been helping me and it’s been an OK transition.”
    Ramsey was signed by the Stamps on June 6, shortly after having been let go by B.C. He had spent two seasons in Vancouver, on the heels of a litany of NFL stops including Seattle, Buffalo, the New York Jets, Baltimore, Miami and Carolina.

Dedicated Boudreaux pushing for prominent defensive line role with Stampeders
    It’ll take more than a sore knee to keep Brandon Boudreaux from getting back onto the practice field, what with such high stakes on the line.
    “I’m good,” claimed the Calgary Stampeders’ defensive lineman. “I’m a football player. If I don’t have any injuries, then maybe I’m not going hard enough. It’s day 23, 24 practice-wise, the body’s going to be worn down a little bit. But I’m getting iced up, I should be OK.”
    These being the waning days of training camp, which means that final evaluation is taking place from now until the second pre-season game in Regina on Friday night, players are amping it up in order to keep their heads off the chopping block.

Buckley a cure for the cold
    When the Calgary Stampeders took on the B.C. Lions in preseason action at McMahon Stadium on a damp, cold, Friday night, not many people were expecting anything but the same old from a CFL tuneup game. For the fans that braved the cold and sat through the downpour of rain before the game, they witnessed something not seen very often in the league.

Great sport….lousy business
    I remember Anthony Parker coming to the Dinos as a cocky 17 year old freshman out of Foothills Composite. Kinda makes the hair turn greyer to realize he’s now the ‘old man’ of the Stampeder receiving corps with Sunday’s release of Jabari Arthur.