Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for June 20, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for June 20, 2015

Game Stats

Recap: Calgary 37, Saskatchewan 29

A late comeback saw the Calgary Stampeders improve to 2-0 on the pre-season, knocking off the Riders in Regina by a score of 37-29.

The Calgary Stampeders concluded their pre-season schedule with an unblemished 2-0 record by earning a 37-29 victory in Regina over the Roughriders on Friday.
    “Offensively we had dropped passes, but we were a different team in the second half,” head coach and general manager John Hufnagel said of his club’s performance. “I was glad to see our team come out of the locker room and change things. With only one penalty in the second half, that was a big factor in us getting the win.”

Stamps edge past Riders thanks to fourth quarter rally
    Bryant Moniz rushed for three quarterback sneaks as the Calgary Stampeders rallied past the Saskatchewan Roughriders 37-29 on Friday night at Mosaic Stadium.
    Calgary scored 21 points in the fourth quarter to complete the comeback over the Riders. The Stamps had come close to taking the lead throughout the game but the Riders always managed to stay ahead.
    Keith Toston’s 14 yard rush to the goal line led to Moniz’s third plunge of the game and put the Stampeders up by eight points. Drew Tate hit Kamar Jorden with a touchdown pass earlier in the quarter to give the Stamps a 30-29 lead, its first of the game.

Tate's late TD pass puts Stamps past 'Riders
    Drew Tate accepts the backup quarterback role with the Calgary Stampeders. But that doesn't mean he can't be a team leader.
    Tate engineered a fourth-quarter comeback that boosted the defending Grey Cup champions over the Saskatchewan Roughriders to 37-29 in CFL pre-season action on Friday.
    "Yeah, I'm the backup. I know that," Tate said. "I know the plays when I get in there and I know where we're hot and I know where to go with the football based off the looks I'm getting by watching on the sideline."

5 Key Plays in the Stamps' win over the Riders
    Bo Levi Mitchell would have loved a re-do. The 2014 Grey Cup MVP started the game with a stumble, tossing his second pass into the arms of Riders LB Jeff Knox. Jr. Riders Chris Getzlaf turned the pick into a game-opening touchdown a few plays later. But, hey, it’s pre-season. Bo probably didn’t lose a lot of sleep over the miscue.

Calgary Stampeders win final pre-season tune-up
    There’s a short checklist of goals for a CFL pre-season game.
    Make some plays: Check (we see you, Lemar Durant).
    Stay healthy: Well, right tackle Dan Federkeil and backup safety Adam Berger hobbled off the field after being banged up.
    Don’t take penalties: Uhh, cough ... Stamps GM/head coach won’t be happy with the numerous flags his team was responsible for.

Calgary Stampeders Snapshots: Spencer Wilson handy guy to have around
    It's hard enough to perfect one position.
    Spencer Wilson has to learn five spots.
    The Calgary Stampeders jack-of-all-trades offensive lineman is as versatile as they come.
    The 6-foot-6, 303-pounder filled in along the squad's injury-ravaged offensive line over the past few years.

Mitchell gets tuned up as Stamps come back to beat Riders
    Bo Levi Mitchell was looking to “knock off some rust.”
    Shea Emery was looking to knock off something a bit more substantial.
    “Shea Emery, man. What do you expect?” murrurred the Calgary Stampeders’ No. 1 man of a shot that left him levelled and crumpled after surrendering an interception, and drew an objectionable conduct penalty. “That’s just who the guy is. He searches out quarterbacks. But that’s his job, too — If I can take out the quarterback, why not?

Do the Stampeders have a kicking controversy?
    Earlier this week on Sportstalk, Stamps head coach and GM John Hufnagel declared that he has the two best Canadian kickers in the CFL.
    Rookie Tyler Crapigna is certainly making things interesting as he in putting the heat on veteran Rene Paredes, who is coming off a sub par season because of 4 separate holders.