Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for November 13, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for November 13, 2015

Pumped for the playoffs

We thought we'd help you get even more pumped up for Sunday's Western Semi-Final against the Lions.

Huff post-practice comments - Nov. 12
    Coach Hufnagel talks about Stamps West award finalists and two of his former assistants up for the Coach of the Year.

Mitchell on MOP West finalist
    QB Bo Levi Mitchell reacts to being the West nominee for Most Outstanding Player and being up against Henry Burris.

Paredes on award nomination
    Kicker Rene Paredes reacts to being the West finalist for Most Outstanding Special Teams Player.

West award finalists
    Highlights of the Stamps' CFL award finalists Bo Levi Mitchell (Most Outstanding Player) and Rene Paredes (Most Outstanding Special Teams Player).

Kids Club Thank You
    Thank you for being members of the 2015 Stampeders Kids Club and cheering the Red and White on all season long!

WSF: Run Game Key to Stamps' Success
    Establishing the run game will be crucial for both teams in the Western Semi-Final, but with Jon Cornish likely out all eyes will be on newly-acquired all-star running back Jerome Messam to carry the load for the Stampeders.

WSF: How To Beat Steady Stamps D
    With the Lions offence clicking in recent weeks, veterans Andrew Harris and Emmanuel Arceneaux weigh in on what it will take to break through against a consistently strong defensive unit in Calgary.

WSF: Mitchell Preparing Like There's No Tomorrow
    Coming off a 14-win season and a recent all-star nod, Bo Levi Mitchell still isn't taking anything for granted going into Sunday's Western Semi-Final against the Lions.

For the first six seasons of his Stampeders career, Juwan Simpson played for two defensive coordinators. Coincidentally, both of these individuals are finalists for the CFL’s Coach of the Year award in 2015.
    From 2008 to 2011, Chris Jones was in charge of the Red and White’s defensive unit. In 2012 and 2013, it was Rick Campbell calling the defensive shots. On Thursday morning, Jones and Campbell were recognized for their work in their new roles for their new teams.
    Jones guided the Edmonton Eskimos to a 14-4 record this past season while Campbell oversaw a remarkable worst-to-first storyline with the Ottawa RedBlacks.

For a team that finished the regular season with a robust 11-7 record, the 1991 Calgary Stampeders were hardly in a secure and comfortable frame of mind as they entered the post-season.
    For starters, the Stamps’ opponent in the West semifinal — the BC Lions — had turned in an identical 11-7 mark. Led by quarterback and future Stamp Doug Flutie — who would win the first of his six career Most Outstanding Player awards that season — the Lions boasted a formidable offence that had produced 661 points, an average of 36.7 per game, during the regular season.

Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell (Most Outstanding Player) and kicker Rene Paredes (Most Outstanding Special Teams Player) have been voted as the West Division finalists for major Canadian Football League individual awards.
    Mitchell’s nod as the top player in the West marks the sixth time in eight years a Stamps player has been a finalist for the Most Outstanding Player award. Recent Stamps finalists include Henry Burris in 2008 and 2010, Joffrey Reynolds in 2009 and Jon Cornish in 2012 and 2013, with Burris (2010) and Cornish (2013) each winning the CFL award once.

Stamps notes: Cat-quick Evans gets start at corner with Bennett on shelf
    The prospect of a playoff game would be enough to make any rookie’s eyes widen in anticipation and perhaps trepidation.
    But there’s a certain matter-of-factness to Ciante Evans that has one thinking otherwise.
    “The preparation is still the same for me,” stated the 23-year-old defensive back. “Obviously the coaches trust me enough to be out there, so I just have to prepare hard the rest of the week and just go out and play team ball, play with the vets and play within the scheme.”

Bo Levi in tough vs. Smilin' Hank for CFL MOP award
    Not to lay the false modesty on with a trowel, be coyly self-deprecating, theatrically resigned or overly pessimistic, but …
    “Look at the stats, man,” argued Bo Levi Mitchell. “It’s not comparable. He’s had the better year. Shoot, it’s amazing what he’s been doing.
    “Not at his age. At any age.
    “I mean, the guy’s done a different thing this year.”

Heart of the defence Simpson back in the groove
    He’s been called the heart and soul of the Calgary Stampeders’ defence, though fellow linebacker Deron Mayo begs to differ.
    “I’d more describe him as the mouth of the defence,” Mayo laughed, giving his own description of Juwan Simpson. “He never stops talking, right? Sometimes he talks too much, to be honest. But honestly, it’s good to have him out there.”
    After five games without the chatty middle linebacker, the Stamps are indeed happy to welcome back Simpson, since there is no substitute for veteran leadership heading into a playoff game as they will on Sunday against the B.C. Lions.

Calgary Stampeders K Rene Paredes locks down West Division nom as top special-teamer
    A mountain is impressive from any angle.
    But if you're standing at the bottom of a canyon right next to it, that rock looks even more impressive.
    Calgary Stampeders kicker Rene Paredes is on top of the mountain after being voted the West Division nominee as the CFL's most outstanding special teams player.

Calgary Stampeders feel lack of respect heading into West semifinal
    If the Grey Cup playoffs took place on a runway in Italy, the Calgary Stampeders wouldn’t even get an invite.
    They’re not the latest creation of Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Burberry or Dolce & Gabbana.
    They’re just a pair of well-worn overalls that keep getting the job done season after season, game after game, win after win.

Bo Levi Mitchell faces Henry Burris for CFL’s Most Outstanding Player honour
    Bo Levi Mitchell is a confident quarterback.
    As he should be.
    No quarterback in CFL history has been better than the young Calgary Stampeders pivot over the first two seasons of a career.
    But even the reigning Grey Cup MVP knows he’s facing long odds in his next challenge.

Calgary Stampeders equipment manager George Hopkins honoured after his father dies
    Heading into the playoffs, the Calgary Stampeders family is a man down.
    Prior to heading to Vancouver for last week’s regular-season finale, longtime Stamps equipment manager George Hopkins’ father, George Hopkins Sr., died at the age of 86 on Nov. 2.
    The team presented Hopkins with the game ball following the 28-7 win at BC Place.

CFL coach-of-year finalists well-known to Calgary Stampeders
    One went from worst to first in the East Division.
    The other usurped the Calgary Stampeders from their perch atop the West Division.
    And both are intimately familiar to those within the Stamps locker-room.
    In a turn of events that shocked no one, the Ottawa RedBlacks’ Rick Campbell and the Edmonton Eskimos’ Chris Jones were named the two finalists for a revamped 2015 CFL coach of the year.

We may be underappreciating Bo Levi Mitchell
    I believe Henry Burris should be the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player for 2015. Over the last number of weeks on the Monday Morning Quarterback, I’ve made my case as to why. Well, now the Ottawa REDBLACKS quarterback is the East Division’s nominee for the league’s top individual award. The guy who he’s going up against isn’t getting the same kind of love.
    Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell is the West Division’s MOP candidate, and I think he needs a little more fanfare. Being based in Calgary, I can tell you that Mitchell has received his fair share of criticism this season despite putting together a second solid year as a starter. While I believe Burris should end up getting the ultimate nod, some of the criticism aimed at Mitchell has been off base. I’ve got three reasons why Calgary’s pivot is the deserving West Division MOP.

Expect Stamps to roll through Lions
    Let's recall a nightmare for Stampeder fans that starred one Darren Flutie. Yes, that's the wrong Flutie.
    Back in 1994, the 15-3 White Stallions of QB Doug Flutie, receiver Allen Pitts and a fabulous collection of other parts, took on the huge underdog Lions in the snow at McMahon for the West title.
    Not a chance. No way. No how. And yet…
    There was Leo's backup QB Danny McManus, four yards from the end zone, zeroes on the clock, dropping back and finding The Wrong Flutie for an historic touchdown that stunned Cowtown and sent B.C. to a Grey Cup game it would win.

Mitchell, Paredes set to represent Stampeders at CFL awards in Winnipeg
    If you gave Bo Levi Mitchell a vote for CFL’s most outstanding player, it wouldn’t take the Calgary Stampeders quarterback long to fill it out.
    In the head-to-head battle between Mitchell and Ottawa RedBlacks quarterback Henry Burris — twice nominated and the 2010 winner of the MOP with the Stampeders — his vote would go to Smilin’ Hank.
    “Look at the stats. It’s not comparable. He’s had an amazing year,” Mitchell said Thursday as the divisional nominees were announced.