Post Game Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for November 16, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for November 16, 2015

Game Stats

Game Photos

WSF Recap: Calgary 35, BC 9

The Calgary Stampeders defeat the BC Lions 35-9 in the Western Semi-Final and will play Edmonton next Sunday in the Western Final.

Post-game player reaction - Nov. 15
    We hear from LB Juwan Simpson, QB Bo Levi Mitchell and DB Keon Raymond after the Western Semi-Final win.

Huff post-game comments - Nov. 15
    Coach Hufnagel talks to the media after his team's Western Semi-Final win over the BC Lions.

Lions 9, Stampeders 35
    Bo Levi Mitchell threw for 199 yards and two touchdowns and Jerome Messam finished with 147 all-purpose yards and a score, as the defending Grey Cup champs trounced the Lions and will take on the Eskimos in the West Final.

Stampeders dominate with 'business-like' approach
    The CFL on TSN panel explains how the Stampeders dominate games with a 'business-like' approach and how they pride themselves on winning ugly, discuss the great play of their defence, and the positives moving forward for the Lions.

Stampeders seize momentum and advance
    In the end it was a decisive victory for the Stampeders but early in the game, the Lions had their opportunities to seize a bit of control. Rod Black and Duane Forde explain how an overturned call shifted the momentum in Calgary's favour.

Raymond: ''We want to have a championship calibre defence''
    Keon Raymond talks about how the Stampeders won the game thanks to their defence and says they will need to play like that if they want to win the Grey Cup.

Messam happy to silence doubters
    Jerome Messam was thankful for the opportunity to contribute to the Stampeders' victory, spoke about how his team stepped it up after the half to run away with it and looks ahead to playing the Eskimos next weekend.

Player Blog

When I look back at my season from the beginning, it’s been tough. I’ve been working hard since February. I have put the work in, I believe in myself and in my teammates.
    It’s just been a crazy ride. I didn’t expect I would be here but I’m happy to be here and I’m happy to be making this playoff push.

Off to the Races: Stamps handle Lions in Western Semi

The Stampeders got off to a strong start in defence of their Grey Cup Championship on Sunday, earning a convincing 35-9 win over the Lions at McMahon Stadium.
    Bo Levi Mitchell and Eric Rogers connected for two touchdown passes while Keon Raymond set the tone with a first-quarter pick-six, giving the Stampeders their fourth straight win and improving them to 9-1 at home on the season.

Persistent Stamps tough out injuries in win over Lions
    John Hufnagel never had a plan for the off chance two offensive linemen go down injured in the same game.
    So when Shane Bergman and Pierre Lavertu each left Sunday’s Western Semi-Final matchup against the BC Lions with separate injuries, it took some quick thinking and a gutsy team effort to complete a 35-9 victory.

Keon Raymond was once again in the right place at the right time on Sunday afternoon.
    With less than two minutes remaining in the opening quarter of the Western Semi-Final against the Lions, the wily veteran intercepted a Jonathon Jennings pass intended for Bryan Burnham and saw nothing but green grass in front of him.
    The 38-yard pick-six enabled Calgary to reclaim the lead and the Red and White never looked back, ending the Lions’ season in the process.

For the fourth year in a row, the Calgary Stampeders are in the Western Final.
    The Stamps advanced to the division final on Sunday at McMahon Stadium with a 35-9 victory over the BC Lions and will now face the Edmonton Eskimos next Sunday at Commonwealth Stadium for the right to represented the West in the 103rd Grey Cup.
    Defence dominated the first quarter and, 13 minutes into the contest, the score was 3-1 in favour of the Lions as a result of a Richie Leone field goal for BC and a Rob Maver punt single for the Stamps.

Calgary Stampeders Quick Hitters: Already-thin o-line takes another hit ... or two
    It’s not a title he went searching for, but it’s now his, nonetheless.
    Spencer Wilson: Last man standing.
    Coming into Sunday’s West Division Semifinal, Wilson, left guard Shane Bergman, and centre Pierre Lavertu had been the constants along an utterly decimated Calgary Stampeders offensive line this season.

Calgary Stampeders’ Keon Raymond makes B.C. Lions pay with early pick-six
    Keon Raymond called his shot.
    It wasn’t exactly Babe Ruth pointing to the centre-field bleachers at Wrigley.
    But the Calgary Stampeders cover linebacker made a bold prediction of his own and then delivered during Sunday’s CFL West Division semifinal victory at McMahon Stadium.

Eric Rogers playoff performer for Calgary Stampeders
    Eric Rogers’ playoff game log is short.
    But, man, is it sweet.
    The 24-year-old Calgary Stampeders receiver was at it again in Sunday’s 35-9 win over the B.C. Lions in the West Division semifinal at McMahon Stadium, hauling in two important touchdowns from quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.

5 key plays in Stampeders-Lions game
    Overturned pass-interference call on Brandon Smith
    On the B.C. Lions’ second possession of the game, quarterback Jonathon Jennings drove his team from his own 35-yard line all the way down inside the Calgary Stampeders’ 20-yard line, lofting a throw to running back Chris Rainey near the goal-line, which fell incomplete. But the side judge threw a flag that had most in attendance scratching their heads. Stamps GM/head coach John Hufnagel skipped the head scratch completely and threw his challenge flag, and the call was eventually overturned. Instead of first-and-goal at the one-yard line, the Lions had to settle for a field-goal.

Jerome Messam carries Calgary Stampeders offensively in CFL’s West Division semifinal
    The Calgary Stampeders defence carried the day.
    But it was the man who carried the ball who had everyone’s attention by day’s end.
    Less than a month after being acquired from the Saskatchewan Roughriders as an insurance policy for the injured Jon Cornish, Canadian bully back Jerome Messam seized the opportunity by providing two of the biggest plays in a CFL game he never dreamed he’d play in this year.

Battering ram Messam breaks down Lions' door
    He’s a persistent cuss, that Jerome Messam. Just keeps knocking on the door. Check that, pounding on it. Battering away.
    Over and over. Again and again.
    All the live-long day.
    Eventually, the wood can’t help but creak and splinter, the jamb gives, the hinges loosen ever so slightly, and then the whole thing comes crashing down.

Raymond's clutch pick-six turned game Stamps' way
    The fireworks, a kaleidoscope of colours around McMahon Stadium, were always there for all to enjoy.
    Someone only had to step up, strike a match and light the fuse.
    “Just had an opportunity,” said Keon Raymond, the light-fingered SAM linebacker, “and I took it. Coach gave a great call. Man-to-man, and I’ll tell you what, I was due for a break.
    “It felt good to get things kick-started.
    “We said in the locker-room, we just need a spark to get something going. I was just happy to be the spark.”

Injuries press Junior Turner into action on Stamps' offensive line
    Junior Turner did something he’s never done before.
    As it turns out, he looked pretty good doing it.
    With injuries decimating the Calgary Stampeders’ offensive line yet again, the defensive tackle got rid of the No. 7 jersey, donned No. 69 and lined up at left guard.
    “The first thing I thought of was, is this happening for real?” grinned Turner, in the aftermath of Calgary’s 35-9 West Division semifinal triumph over the B.C. Lions. “It was so early in the game and my one goal was don’t get my quarterback killed.”

Stampeders run over Lions 35-9, advance to CFL's West Final
    Not that they were looking ahead or anything, but the Calgary Stampeders were collectively hoping for another crack at proving they’re the best team in the CFL West Division.
    That opportunity comes on Sunday.
    The Stampeders earned a trip to Edmonton to face the Eskimos in the CFL West Final by beating up on the B.C. Lions 35-9 on a brisk Sunday afternoon.

Calgary Stampeders move on to West final with convincing win over B.C. Lions
    Well, what were they supposed to say?
    The B.C. Lions spent all week trying to convince anyone who would listen, and perhaps themselves, that they were playing their best football of the season at exactly the right time.
    The Calgary Stampeders weren’t buying.
    What happened in Sunday’s Canadian Football League West semifinal at McMahon Stadium is just what was supposed to happen: a very good 14-4 team eliminated a mediocre 7-11 squad with consummate ease.

Stampeders advance to West final with win over Lions
    The Calgary Stampeders advanced to the CFL's West Division final with a 35-9 win over the B.C. Lions in Sunday's semifinal.
    The Stampeders travel north to Edmonton to meet the Eskimos next Sunday with the winner booking a berth in this year's Grey Cup.
    The provincial rivals tied for the best record in the CFL this season at 14-4, but Edmonton won their season series and thus the playoff bye.
    "I think it's going to be a whale of ball game," Stampeder head coach John Hufnagel said.

West semifinal win could be costly to Stamps as they knock out B.C.
    The Calgary Stampeders are headed to Edmonton for a prime matchup in the West final, but they will be probably patching together an offensive line before they get there.
    The Stamps took care of the B.C. Lions handily in the West semifinal, getting two Eric Rogers touchdowns, a big rushing strike from Jerome Messam (including a massive reception to set up a score) and a pick-six from Keon Raymond to get it all started.
    After halftime, it was really no contest, as the Stamps rolled up a 35-9 victory over the Lions, sending them home to continue their rebuild.

Calgary Stampeders down B.C. Lions 35-9, keep chance of repeat Grey Cup alive
    The Calgary Stampeders stayed in the hunt for a second straight Grey Cup with a 35-9 win over the B.C. Lions in Sunday's division semifinal.
    The defending champions travel north to Edmonton to meet the Eskimos next Sunday in the CFL's West Division final. The winner books a berth in this year's Grey Cup in Winnipeg.
    The provincial rivals tied for the best record in the CFL this season at 14-4, but Edmonton won their season series and thus the playoff bye.

After playing the role of spectators, Esks look forward to facing Stamps
    In the end, the Calgary Stampeders’ 35-9 win over the B.C. Lions was exactly the formality it was supposed to be, setting the stage for next Sunday’s West Division final at Commonwealth Stadium.
    A handful of Eskimos coaches and players gathered with fans at Central Social Hall on Sunday to find out who their next opponent is.
    And it turns out there weren’t any surprises as the Calgary victory means the two teams that finished on top of the CFL standings with 14-4 records will meet to decide once and for all who’s the best in the West this season.