News Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for November 20, 2013

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Tsoumpas aiming to come back strong

On Monday, as the Calgary Stampeders cleaned out their cubbyholes, Dimitri Tsoumpas talked about the concussion which has kept him out of most of the 2013 season and really apart from the rest of that locker-room.

“I’m getting better,” the offensive lineman insisted. “It’s just a process coming along. Just keep chipping away. The season is obviously over so I can work on doing some rehabilitation work, eating right and doing all the things I can do get better.

“I’m out on the practice field, so it’s just a matter of time. They say time heals all wounds, so that’s something I need, right?”

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Tsoumpas, a three-time CFL all-star, started six games at right guard and then suffered the head injury which, as it turned out, ended his season. He was one of several Stamps to suffer a concussion this campaign.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/football/calgary-stampeders/Calgary Stampeders guard Dimitri/9186863/story.html

Will Stamps kicking duo survive expansion draft?

It’s a scenario that has been on the table since the start of the 2013 Canadian Football League season and a scenario neither Rene Paredes or Rob Maver wants to imagine.

But on Dec. 16 — when the Ottawa RedBlacks’ roster starts taking shape in the CFL Expansion Draft — the CFL’s most efficient kicking/punting duo could be split up.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen,” Paredes said as the Stampeders cleared out of McMahon Stadium on Monday morning, less than 24 hours after losing to the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West final. “I don’t want Maver to go anywhere. We have a good thing here. It’s great. We’re a great duo and we don’t want to break that. (Special teams co-ordinator Mark) Kilam wants us back. But the worst part is the business side and we can’t control any of that.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/football/calgary-stampeders/Will Calgary Stampeders kicking/9186855/story.html

Stamps award nominees embrace Grey Cup festivities

Given the venue, given the Grey Cup host city, Brett Jones expects to suffer little in the way of stage fright Thursday at the CFL Player Awards.

For the Calgary Stampeders centre — and West Division nominee for most outstanding rookie — already knows his way around the bowels of the Conexus Arts Centre.

“I used to go in there in high school for band concerts in high school,” says the six-foot-two, 319-pounder. “I played the tuba.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/football/calgary-stampeders/Calgary Stampeders awards nominees/9186876/story.html

Stampeders Final Report Card

The Calgary Stampeders' season may be over, but the front-office evaluation is just beginning.

We'll take a stab at grading the performances of key Stamps this season, too, as only 27 days remain until the Ottawa RedBlacks will start building their roster at the expansion draft, which is sure to affect the Red & White's roster heading into 2014.

THE OFFENCE

QB Kevin Glenn — B+
    WHAT HE DID IN 2013: Glenn played solid football after Drew Tate went down in Week 2, compiling a 10-3 record as the starter. Unfortunately, fans are going to remember him being pulled twice against the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Week 18 and then the West Final loss.
    2014 OUTLOOK: He'll likely be exposed in the expansion draft, so only Ottawa RedBlacks GM Marcel Desjardins knows Glenn's 2014 fate.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/2...-year-report-cards-for-the-calgary-stampeders

PART I: more to follow...;)

TM

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

PART II:

Stamps fans will have to grit their teeth and cheer for Burris

[​IMG]Former Stamps QB Henry Burris will face the Roughriders in the Grey Cup.

Regina- As if last Sunday's game result wasn't enough.
    When the 101st Grey Cup kicks off Sunday evening at Mosaic Stadium, Calgary Stampeders fans may want to shield their eyes.
    On one side, it’s the villainous Saskatchewan Roughriders, who pummelled the Red and White in all three phases in last weekend’s West final at McMahon Stadium, walking away with an emphatic 35-13 win to upend the team with the best regular-season record in the CFL in front of a traumatized home crowd.
    On the other side, it’s Henry Burris.
    It’s a classic catch-22.
    No one in the Stampede City is going to become an honorary member of Rider Nation for a day.
    It’s not happening.
    So that leaves the contingent of fans that only a few short days ago was certain they’d be watching their 14-4 team running out of the tunnel in Regina on Grey Cup Sunday, getting behind Burris and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
    Considering quarterback play in the Stamps’ loss to the Riders wasn’t exactly stellar, it may be tough to watch Burris if the 38-year-old can duplicate his East final performance that saw the Oklahoma gunslinger go 27-of-40 for 371 yards and three touchdowns.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/1...o-grit-their-teeth-and-cheer-for-henry-burris

(No teeth-gritting from me...Go Burris!) :D

BLM could be The Man next year

[​IMG]

T
    he Calgary Stampeders’ 2014 season could start exactly how this one ended.
    With Bo Levi Mitchell calling the shots.
    When most fans were either busy filing out of McMahon Stadium, piecing their broken TV remote back together, or quickly shuffling to the wood to down a couple shots of bourbon, Mitchell was leading a meaningless final drive in the waning moments of Sunday’s 35-13 loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West final.
    The 23-year-old’s ascension from third-string to the real thing could be on the way, depending on what happens Dec. 16 when the Ottawa RedBlacks start picking apart CFL rosters at the expansion draft.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/1...d-be-the-man-next-year-for-calgary-stampeders

Dickenson's time is coming

Was that Huff’s last stand?
    Did John Hufnagel just coach his last game?
    Don’t bet on it.
    While no one is pinning the blame on him for the Calgary Stampeders latest in a long history of playoff pratfalls, it’s a pertinent question given the coaching talent underneath him.
    In particular, offensive co-ordinator Dave Dickenson.
    It’s a well-known fact the organization’s next head coach will be Dickenson. That’s the plan, anyway.
    The question is when. And that’s where it gets tricky

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/19/dave-dickensons-time-is-coming

TM